Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
I don't want dark mode I honestly love this phone white lol
I can get a Samsung -
They have Oles dark screens just for that reason!
We are using Retina display-
Apple should change their game -
I love apple,love how it all works (notification etc) I have a Samsung here and an LG here and my preference is iPhone.
Looking forward to iPhone 7❤️

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's negligible in the best of conditions. In real world use it will be less than negligible. I'd like people to stop using this as an advantage, because it's not.
Is there something that shows that? It certainly seems that more information has been out there that it would be something worthwhile/noticeable.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Is there something that shows that? It certainly seems that more information has been out there that it would be something worthwhile/noticeable.
Just look at any decent battery test any phone that performs better than iPhone has much bigger battery.

There is no magic here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just look at any decent battery test any phone that performs better than iPhone has much bigger battery.

There is no magic here.
Alright, but doesn't really say anything in particular about OLED screens and power usage with lighter or darker pixels.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Alright, but doesn't really say anything in particular about OLED screens and power usage with lighter or darker pixels.

Unless you are going to use dark mode like apps all the time, which is not what people do, they browse and play games, watch youtube far more than just sit in the interface of iOS, then it's completely irrelevant from energy savings point of view.

Even then better optimized OS will have much bigger battery savings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unless you are going to use dark mode like apps all the time, which is not what people do, they browse and play games, watch youtube far more than just sit in the interface of iOS, then it's completely irrelevant from energy savings point of view.

Even then better optimized OS will have much bigger battery savings.
So any particular comparisons or experiments or anything like that that demonstrate that?

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
So any particular comparisons or experiments or anything like that that demonstrate that?

All the oleds of the world. All have bigger batteries than iPhone, some by a big amount, Oneplus 3 has even same resolution oled display, so it can be directly compared. I have no idea what the savings are from oled, since in a mixed day to day use it's so small that it's ultimately irrelevant.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
As they have been doing recently, I think Dark Mode is going to be one of the features released in a .X update (iOS 10.X).

They did the same thing with features for the iPad in 9.X

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That being said, I do hope they are going to unveil a dark mode with a space black iPhone 7. That would be kinda cool.

Murdered out iPhone 7 :D

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012

All the oleds of the world. All have bigger batteries than iPhone, some by a big amount, Oneplus 3 has even same resolution oled display, so it can be directly compared. I have no idea what the savings are from oled, since in a mixed day to day use it's so small that it's ultimately irrelevant.
Wow that video is really surprising. The only device to outperform the iPhone was the Samsung with a battery more than 25% bigger! Is this just the screens fault or does Android itself have a bigger part to play in the battery usage than you think?

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Wow that video is really surprising. The only device to outperform the iPhone was the Samsung with a battery more than 25% bigger! Is this just the screens fault or does Android itself have a bigger part to play in the battery usage than you think?

This is to show that oled energy savings are little to non existent and that optimized software saves much more than that.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
As they have been doing recently, I think Dark Mode is going to be one of the features released in a .X update (iOS 10.X).

They did the same thing with features for the iPad in 9.X

I'll take a .X release, but I'm still hoping they'll sneak it in by Gold Master.

I'd use Dark Mode as the default.

Reactions: NT1440

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is to show that oled energy savings are little to non existent and that optimized software saves much more than that.
Well, certainly other things, especially optimized OS/software, could save more power, but that in itself doesn't mean that OLED savings are non-existent or even little, depending on the UX of the device and how an individual typically uses it. Furthermore, it seems that because software and hardware optimization plays a big role, it seems that a comparison of completely different devices that differ on many deeper levels than simply screen technology isn't really one that would do a good job demonstrating the difference that OLED might/could have.
[doublepost=1471356736][/doublepost]
I expect it to be something like MacOS, since making everything black doesn't make sense. Also if it would switch based on time of day also would be nice.
Even that would be a nice improvement to have as an option for those who might like it. (Even if it might not necessarily provide any truly noticeable battery savings, as many would love some sort of a dark mode regardless of any battery benefits it might or might not provide.)

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Well, certainly other things, especially optimized OS/software, could save more power, but that in itself doesn't mean that OLED savings are non-existent or even little, depending on the UX of the device and how an individual typically uses it. Furthermore, it seems that because software and hardware optimization plays a big role, it seems that a comparison of completely different devices that differ on many deeper levels than simply screen technology isn't really one that would do a good job demonstrating the difference that OLED might/could have.

Then it is pointless to compare things. To me it's a non issue. OLED offers absolutely nothing to me.
[doublepost=1471357093][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1471356736][/doublepost]
Even that would be a nice improvement to have as an option for those who might like it. (Even if it might not necessarily provide any truly noticeable battery savings, as many would love some sort of a dark mode regardless of any battery benefits it might or might not provide.)
154Gw+

If it was along the lines of this i would have multiple nerdgasms.

Reactions: Otaviano

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
it will come only to iPhone 7 with display, that is why Apple hasnt said anything about it yet.

Reactions: na1577

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn't care about dark mode?

Nah there's me too. And probably 10 million other users worldwide

If you're not interested in Dark Mode, why bother posting in the thread?

If it does happen, it'll be a toggle feature so no one will be forced to use it.

I'll have it on day or night by default as I'm not a fan of bright backgrounds like this forum on Safari, for example.

I find dark backgrounds far more relaxing for the eyes.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I had a rental minivan the other day, a KIA, that had a really nice touchscreen radio. It had a matte surface and was likely an OLED as it ran in what appeared to be a dark mode. That is, the background was black (non-lit) and it was such a nice departure from most car's audio screens that shine far too bright or look a bit off when in night mode.

I'm all for shifting to OLED for things like this, but there are so many situations in everyday use (website viewing, videos, photos) that can't utilize the battery savings that OLED screens have when not powering black diodes, that I don't think battery life is ever going to be the reason behind making a switch. Sure, Apple of all companies, can optimize the iOS to eek out even small savings, but I think it will be other factors that are pushing Apple to make the change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.