Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have *shockingly* collected a number of official Apple Watch bands... I’ll just share my opinions on comfort based on what I have (in the order of most to least comfortable):

Woven nylon > fluroelastomer sports band > leather loop / Milanese loop > classic buckle > link bracelet

Woven nylon (which I guess extends to the new sports loops) is by far the most comfy because it is light, very breathable and isn’t damaged by water or sweat. Unlike the flouroelastomer sports bands that are completely waterproof, woven nylon can be slightly uncomfortable if completely drenched until it dries. But overall, I prefer the nylon’s breathability over the fluroelastomer bands.

The fluroelastomer sports bands feel a little stiffer and are not as breathable (the Nike ones are obviously better in this regard) as the woven nylon but still very comfortable.

I ranked the Milanese loop and leather loop together because it is difficult to determine which feels more comfortable. Milanese loop can pull on hair and fabric but it has excellent breathability and it is unaffected by water or sweat (yes Apple doesn’t recommend it for swimming but that’s another discussion). On the other hand, I found the leather loop more comfortable on cool days but a bad option for a hot day since it is not as breathable, and sweat (and water) isn’t good for leather.

Side note: The leather loop is my least favorite of the bands because it does not feel like leather (more like plastic) and thus, I returned the only one I bought to Apple within two weeks. This isn’t an issue for comfort, its just that it doesn’t “feel” and “look” premium enough for its price, especially relative to the other “premium” options.

Classic buckle, like any leather band, is comfortable on cool days. Not suitable for work outs, hot days or even rainy days. In terms of comfort, classic buckles can’t beat the Milanese or leather loop since those are “infinitely” adjustable, something to consider since the wrist size can change slightly during the day.

Note: The classic buckles are actually my favorite bands because of the look and the colour options. The current generation of classic buckles are all more comfortable than the earlier generations (those were stiffer).

Finally, the link bracelet is hands down, the least comfortable one. I love the look very much, but comfort is an issue. Yes, the links are easy to change, but this is not what you want to do during the day when your wrist size changes. It’s not as breathable and it can get quite uncomfortable when you sweat. I don’t wear the link bracelet very often as a result.

Hope that helps.

I'd say this is solid and spot on advise based on my limited experiences. I rotate through the woven nylon with buckle, fluroelastomer and a milanese loop knockoff by Spigen and find them all to be comfortable and suitable for different reasons. Eventually, I'd like to try one of the new sport loops, I keep hearing great things about the comfort of them. I'm not wild about the subtle technicolor nylon embedded in them though. Hopefully they find a way to tone it down a bit. Sooner or later, I'll end up with one.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I have 2 sport bands, 1 nike band and now two modern buckles (found my second on Debenhams Plus for 1/3 apple’s price). If you have small wrists like mine the modern buckle is very comfortable and looks very smart. I might even get a third!

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
I'll be contrarian here: I think that the Link bracelet is very comfortable, much more so than I was expecting when I purchased it originally. Obviously, if your wrist is resting or rubbing against something, the bracelet is not going to conform to that like a Sport Band, but in terms of just wearing it, it is very comfortable (and obviously quite heavy). I wouldn't have bought it other than I was impressed that Apple was willing to do something unique and innovative with the band (easily replaceable links) and wanted to try it, but once I wore it, I decided to keep it.

But for all around use and comfort, hard to beat the Nike Sports bands (I have the obsidian and platinum/white ones): soft, durable, nicely ventilated, and easily adjusted. And quite secure despite my initial concerns.

If you are looking for a great 3rd-party alternative, consider the FFF (Form-Function-Form) Apple Button Stud bands. There is no "buckle" underneath your wrist; just a continuous piece of leather. That is, hands down, my most comfortable band for my Apple watch.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If you are looking for a great 3rd-party alternative, consider the FFF (Form-Function-Form) Apple Button Stud bands. There is no "buckle" underneath your wrist; just a continuous piece of leather. That is, hands down, my most comfortable band for my Apple watch.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been considering options for a leather band and believe I've now found what I'm looking for. These look exceptional! Now I just need to figure out which color I'd like to go with Space Gray. Hmmmmmmm.

H1JJY

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2014
Due to my large wrists I’ve only got the spots band and loop.

After a few days wearing the sports loop I’ve changed back to the sports band. Find this is the most comfortable and looks the best

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So I got my first Apple Watch yesterday (S3 non LTE silver aluminium, 38mm).

I don't care much for the grey sports band it came with and bought a berry stripe nylon band. That band is quite stiff and my skin is rather sensitive (the pressure of the watch itself is also something I'll really have to get used to).

I tried on my boyfriends 42mm with the black sports loop which really is very comfortable so I'm considering that but I'm not thrilled about the colours.

So I'm curious, what is your most comfortable watch band? Apple or third party, any material. I'm leaning towards getting a leather band but those can range from stiff to supple so I'd love to hear which are nicest if you are someone like me who is inclined to take off an uncomfortable watch after a while. I used to take my watch off as soon as I got home but I don't want to do that with the AW.

IMO, the Sport Loop is the most comfortable band that I've ever worn. I like the CSW Nato bands, too... but the Sport Loop is way more comfortable. IMO, the rubbery Sport bands are the worst. They aren't comfortable, and they don't breathe... so any sweat of other moisture builds up under them.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been considering options for a leather band and believe I've now found what I'm looking for. These look exceptional! Now I just need to figure out which color I'd like to go with Space Gray. Hmmmmmmm.

If you get one, it will feel almost too tight at first. Stick with it, as Shawn cuts these to take the leather stretching into account. That said, his customer service puts Apple to shame, so if you think you've gotten a size too small, he'll work with you, no issues at all.

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If you get one, it will feel almost too tight at first. Stick with it, as Shawn cuts these to take the leather stretching into account. That said, his customer service puts Apple to shame, so if you think you've gotten a size too small, he'll work with you, no issues at all.

Thanks for the advise. I read up on Shawn's page about sizing and the reviews. From what I can tell by reading the reviews his customer service is exceptional. I love supporting small businesses that offer high quality hand made products. Looking forward to getting the straps and super happy I read your recommendation of FFF before I'd ordered something else. I wear it on the 6th hole of M/L sport band so I'm almost at the point where a L/XL sport band would be a better fit. These bands appear to be large wrist friendly, which is not that easy too find. I went with Alpine Suede, can't wait to get it.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I now have the Nike sport loop (Platinum/Black). One of the softest things I've ever touched...
How bout the sharp edges when bending your wrist one way or the other nearly 90 degrees?

Just rinse it really well under tap water. I guess I could use a little hand soap.
I haven’t read... does Apple have some official recommendation?
I loofa mine. She likes it.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

Well my band from FFF arrives yesterday and I have to agree with you. This is easily the most comfortable band I've worn to date. For context, my most worn bands are Apple Sport band that came with AW 2, Apple Woven Nylon and Spigen's version of Milanese Loop all of which I find to be very comfortable. This band from FFF really blows them all away in that aspect. Quality is exceptional and from what I can tell, the customer service is too. Really appreciate your guidance to consider this product as I've been wanting to add a leather band to my collection. Thanks again.

BA2020

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2017
Another vote for sport loop. Biggest negative is it takes some time to dry if you get it wet—like if you’re sloppy washing hands or face.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Well my band from FFF arrives yesterday and I have to agree with you. This is easily the most comfortable band I've worn to date. For context, my most worn bands are Apple Sport band that came with AW 2, Apple Woven Nylon and Spigen's version of Milanese Loop all of which I find to be very comfortable. This band from FFF really blows them all away in that aspect. Quality is exceptional and from what I can tell, the customer service is too. Really appreciate your guidance to consider this product as I've been wanting to add a leather band to my collection. Thanks again.

Glad you like it! I like the second I got so much (Shawn is using thicker leather) that I may get a third.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Lexical

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
I’ve also collected a number of genuine Apple bands since getting my watch... find them all reasonably comfortable but the one I dislike the most is the Milanese loop.

I’ve just got a black modern buckle and I have to say it’s the most comfortable band I’ve owned. I would never pay full price for it but managed to get mine off eBay for £50. It just fits so well and seemlesly and the leather is super soft doesn’t even feel like I’m wearing a Watch most of the time.

Im also a massive fan of the classic buckle. The leather is really soft and comfortable. The sport band is good too but I never wear it aside from when I’m at the gym because I always think it looks a bit naff. Would like to try one of the new sport loops though.

1sazim

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
So I got my first Apple Watch yesterday (S3 non LTE silver aluminium, 38mm).

I don't care much for the grey sports band it came with and bought a berry stripe nylon band. That band is quite stiff and my skin is rather sensitive (the pressure of the watch itself is also something I'll really have to get used to).

I tried on my boyfriends 42mm with the black sports loop which really is very comfortable so I'm considering that but I'm not thrilled about the colours.

So I'm curious, what is your most comfortable watch band? Apple or third party, any material. I'm leaning towards getting a leather band but those can range from stiff to supple so I'd love to hear which are nicest if you are someone like me who is inclined to take off an uncomfortable watch after a while. I used to take my watch off as soon as I got home but I don't want to do that with the AW.
I'm on my second watch, but my first watchband. When I got the original SS Apple Watch I paired it with the Milanese Loop band in silver. I just updated my watch to the Series 3 SS cellular and kept the band because it is amazingly comfortable! It goes with everything I wear (unless I'm very dressed up and wear my 'dressy' watch) , it stays snug to my wrist, but I control how snug, and it's easy to care for. I just gave my husband my original watch and will probably get him Apple's black Milanese loop to go with it. I would highly recommend it!

Reactions: profmjh

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I found the sport bands very comfortable (but more "sweaty" during the summer) and very easy to put on. More recently found the woven bands to then be my favorite during the summer (very breathable). Recently got the sport loop and OMG is it soft, lightweight and so comfortable. Have not had a problem keeping it on with the "velcro" tabs. By far the most comfortable of the three.

I have two of the leather classic bands (a black one from Day 1 first watch release and a taupe leather). Want to add that I do like both of them as well. Really never had an Apple band that I disliked. I was always a fan of the first leather bands (only came in black and brown), which I found to be less stiff than later leather bands and actually liked better without the edge stitching. For the most part I save the leathers for dress and more fall/winter wear.

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
I bought my black sport loop for my series 3 lte. Most comfortable watch band I ever wore. Can’t waitbto see how it reacts to sweat from our brutal summer heat.

The rubber sports band most uncomfortable band I ever wore

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I have a Series 3 gray Edition AW, and I just realized that sport bands look better than the leather bands I have because they hide the lugs.

I'm thinking of buying the new Apple red sports band, but I'm not sure it will go with the watch. The band is called Red (Product) on the Apple site. I know that "Red" is an organization that fights AIDS, but what does "Product" mean in this case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.