Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by beatle888
i cant remember where i saw it but i remember
reading that moto will continue with there chip
manufacturing for apple. i remember –don't
count us out yet– i also remember something
about apple using the IBM chip AND the moto
chip. i dont know...we'll see soon im sure.

Of course, what do you think ,goes into the iMac, eMac an PB? Moto is just not the power people any longer.

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, 3-4x Slower

When I have to wait 3 or 4 seconds for things to happen in Word (like cutting, pasting, or deleting text) that used to happen in a second or less, then yes, I call that 3 or 4 times slower.

And that's just Word. What's worse, in terms of sluggishness, is iCal and iSync. If you can explain to me why they are many times slower than Palm Desktop and HotSync, that would be great. I know people say it's version 1.0, or beta, but since when did that mean it should be slow as a slug? I think Apple needs to focus on releasing faster software (including its OS). It's ridiculous for anything to be so slow on such a "fast" machine, especially when the PC world is putting out machines that are much faster these days.

It is the Mac's beauty, ease of use, originality, high-quality design and manufacturing, and stability that attracted me. I am being patient with Apple and riding the bleeding edge with them, but I hope they speed up both their software and hardware soon.

MacTech

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Re: Yes, 3-4x Slower

Originally posted by Switcher2001
When I have to wait 3 or 4 seconds for things to happen in Word (like cutting, pasting, or deleting text) that used to happen in a second or less, then yes, I call that 3 or 4 times slower.

Then you have something wrong with your computer. I have OS X and office X running on a few BW G3 450s and see nothing like what you are claiming.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
It does take a long time to load on older g3 systems. And after it loads, if you are a fast typer, you can type faster then it can display what you type.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

And that's just Word. What's worse, in terms of sluggishness, is iCal and iSync. If you can explain to me why they are many times slower than Palm Desktop and HotSync, that would be great. I know people say it's version 1.0, or beta, but since when did that mean it should be slow as a slug? I think Apple needs to focus on releasing faster software (including its OS). It's ridiculous for anything to be so slow on such a "fast" machine, especially when the PC world is putting out machines that are much faster these days.

It is the Mac's beauty, ease of use, originality, high-quality design and manufacturing, and stability that attracted me. I am being patient with Apple and riding the bleeding edge with them, but I hope they speed up both their software and hardware soon.

I'm quite shocked, because my PM G3/400 is actually quite fast even considering that it was top of the line in 1999, the only thing truly fast is the hard drive. It wasn't all that fast with Mac OS X 10.1.5, but 10.2.1 is quite a bit faster.

Is there something we can do to help?

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Is there something we can do to help?

Originally posted by bousozoku

I'm quite shocked, because my PM G3/400 is actually quite fast even considering that it was top of the line in 1999, the only thing truly fast is the hard drive. It wasn't all that fast with Mac OS X 10.1.5, but 10.2.1 is quite a bit faster.

Is there something we can do to help?

Thank you for asking. I don't know whether there's anything you can do to help, Bousozoku, but whoever agrees with me could help by joining me in sending Apple the feedback that we are fed up with sluggish computer performance, both in terms of software and hardware. If enough of us talk back, maybe they will bring things up to speed.

MacTech

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Re: Re: Is there something we can do to help?

Thank you for asking. I don't know whether there's anything you can do to help, Bousozoku, but whoever agrees with me could help by joining me in sending Apple the feedback that we are fed up with sluggish computer performance, both in terms of software and hardware. If enough of us talk back, maybe they will bring things up to speed.

I guess you will just bash Apple instead of looking into what might actually be causing your problem. However, my experience with OSX and G3s is NOT like yours. I am not having the problem that you are because the Macs I administer are working correctly.
Why don't you just go back to OS 9 if X is such a bad experience for you?
:confused:

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002

Hey, I do know that in 10.1.x if you have classic set to sart automatically when you log in you see problems like that. I'm not sure if that bug still exists in 10.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.