Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
My wired Mighty Mouse has started to click a lot. It is very annoying. Sounds like a small relay closing randomly. If I lift it up off the pad it stops. Has anyone else had this happen? Any cure?

Bob

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
My wired Mighty Mouse has started to click a lot. It is very annoying. Sounds like a small relay closing randomly. If I lift it up off the pad it stops. Has anyone else had this happen? Any cure?

Bob

Sounds like something broke. Depending on the age, you could call Apple for a replacement. They are pretty good about replacing defective mice.

unlox775

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
Still happening, it's not the mouse

Hi all. mine just started making clicking noises yesterday... Sounds like a tiny cricket inside :). It only does it when I'm touching it, but I can be very very lightly touching both the left and right button pads and it'll make the sound. But not always.

What it's really doing is actually clicking the squeeze buttons on the side and triggering Expose over and over and over again. Really annoying. I finally got SysPrefs open and was able to set that button to do nothing. I never used it anyways. Now it just makes the clicking noise... (Tho some programs still register the clicking in weird ways, like screwing up double click)

So the weird part... It's not a hardware problem in the mouse. I just swapped my mouse with another brand new one from another new iMac and the new one is still making the noise! The first older mouse on the other iMac is fine and making no noise. I tried bypassing the keyboard and plugging the mouse into the back of the iMac. no diff. Is this a short in the USB system? How can I check?

Any ideas? tks in advance

tjmatch

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Dallas, TX

Hi all. mine just started making clicking noises yesterday... Sounds like a tiny cricket inside :). It only does it when I'm touching it, but I can be very very lightly touching both the left and right button pads and it'll make the sound. But not always.

What it's really doing is actually clicking the squeeze buttons on the side and triggering Expose over and over and over again. Really annoying. I finally got SysPrefs open and was able to set that button to do nothing. I never used it anyways. Now it just makes the clicking noise... (Tho some programs still register the clicking in weird ways, like screwing up double click)

So the weird part... It's not a hardware problem in the mouse. I just swapped my mouse with another brand new one from another new iMac and the new one is still making the noise! The first older mouse on the other iMac is fine and making no noise. I tried bypassing the keyboard and plugging the mouse into the back of the iMac. no diff. Is this a short in the USB system? How can I check?

Sorry I'm about 7 years late with my response, but I've experienced the exact same thing in the past, and just recently the clicking has come back. Based on my past experiences, I unfortunately jump to the conclusion of it being some sort of monitoring software, installed remotely without knowledge (at least this would be the case for me). One thing that I noticed is that it's not from the expose buttons on the side of the mouse. All it takes is 1 finger on the mouse + the slightest movement & the clicking begins & does not stop until I stop moving the mouse. Interested in knowing the source of the noise, but this is certainly not on the top of my list of unexplained Mac problems.

elsaimac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
United States
Sorry I'm about 7 years late with my response, but I've experienced the exact same thing in the past, and just recently the clicking has come back. Based on my past experiences, I unfortunately jump to the conclusion of it being some sort of monitoring software, installed remotely without knowledge (at least this would be the case for me). One thing that I noticed is that it's not from the expose buttons on the side of the mouse. All it takes is 1 finger on the mouse + the slightest movement & the clicking begins & does not stop until I stop moving the mouse. Interested in knowing the source of the noise, but this is certainly not on the top of my list of unexplained Mac problems.
Has anyone figured out this mouse clicking problem for imac. It is not the mouse because tried a new one and same issue. So annoying

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

There are also youtube videos on how to clean

I have a box of over 50 old dead mice ( apple and pc) that failed over the years.

Using mostly M325 wireless now on all system. ( it has an included USB wireless plug this is not bluetooth)
I also like Macally wired mice but most mice with a right/left clicker all fail fail in a few years when used for heavy gaming.

Ifimust

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
I registered just to post this answer. My wired mouse started randomly clicking, but it coincided with an issue I was having with a wall-charger adapter. I’m posting in case this helps others solve this mystery.

I had a weird ghost touch issue when I used one particular usb wall adapter to charge my iPhone. (See this link for similar stories:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5956716). I had the wall adapter plugged into an extension cord on my desk as I was troubleshooting this, and my wired mouse started randomly making clicking sounds. As soon as I unplugged the phone from the charger, the random clicking sounds stopped.

One of the articles I read about the phone ghost touch issues mentioned electrical fluctuations causing the problem. (https://www.digitbin.com/touchscreen-problem-while-charging/) Maybe the same is causing the mouse clicking issues? If the random clicking had started some other time, I wouldn’t have connected the two issues at all. I hope this helps someone else having this problem!

Krimson8

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020

Hi,

did you ever figure this out? I have exactly the same problem I also suspect it’s software related because it does it with a usb mouse and with a Bluetooth mouse also, I thought it was an issue with my usb hardware but when it did it also via Bluetooth I knew it wasn’t the case... any ideas?

EarthenDragon

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2020
@Ifimust, I registered just to thank you for posting this. Not only did you help me fiture out this weird cicking issue, but you helped let me know that my wall charger is bad. Thank you!

I registered just to post this answer. My wired mouse started randomly clicking, but it coincided with an issue I was having with a wall-charger adapter. I’m posting in case this helps others solve this mystery.

I had a weird ghost touch issue when I used one particular usb wall adapter to charge my iPhone. (See this link for similar stories:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5956716). I had the wall adapter plugged into an extension cord on my desk as I was troubleshooting this, and my wired mouse started randomly making clicking sounds. As soon as I unplugged the phone from the charger, the random clicking sounds stopped.

One of the articles I read about the phone ghost touch issues mentioned electrical fluctuations causing the problem. (https://www.digitbin.com/touchscreen-problem-while-charging/) Maybe the same is causing the mouse clicking issues? If the random clicking had started some other time, I wouldn’t have connected the two issues at all. I hope this helps someone else having this problem!

Reactions: jakobward

jakobward

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
@Ifmust - Working remotely in a hotel and woke up to my vintage Mighty Mouse clicking like crazy. You were right! It was an issue with USB power. Just wow. 🏆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.