Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I've not had a different ID ever, or refunded or purchased etc etc
Have you ever signed in with an Apple ID on the App Store or iCloud on the MacBook Pro?

Software was pre installed, and I remember questioning that at the time.
A different Apple ID might have been associated with iMovie '11 or the MBP in general which could have led to that error message on your screenshot from before...

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I'm not entirely sure if iMovie '11 will work again afterwards and I have only used iMovie from the App Store but you can try... You can create a Time Machine backup or any full system backup just in case a function or feature in iMovie '11 is no longer available in the newer version... Create a backup first before attempting to do that...

However, if you are okay with replacing iMovie '11 with the version from the App Store and don't have any function or feature that you might miss with switching to the newer version, then go ahead... I have never used iMovie '11 so I can't compare the features with the newer one...

Or you can keep your current setup, import and export the screen recording using QuickTime then attempt again to edit in iMovie '11 or use another video conversion software or just use a different video editor entirely...

You can also seek help from an Apple Genius by visiting your nearest Apple Store or contact Apple Support over the phone... Or just check first what others say about your situation...
Much prefer a newer iMovie regardless. I just assumed if I can ever get the later version of iMovie from the App Store, it has to be an improvement on the one I use, which is not the best, mainly because it whites so much out, and despite playing around with colour and contrast, it's never the same as the source material. Always look a bit lousy compared to source.
Have you ever signed in with an Apple ID on the App Store or iCloud on the MacBook Pro?

A different Apple ID might have been associated with iMovie '11 or the MBP in general which could have led to that error message on your screenshot from before...
I've used the same Apple ID on my phone and MBP since I ever bought Apple stuff, 15 or 16 years ago, which still works fine if I download from iOS store, and never had a problem, I only get that message on High Sierra when trying to update in App Store, using same ID. Even iTunes accepts it no problem on same MBP. It's just this. There's no good reason why it should say that, but I don't think I'm alone with that problem. Not that I saw resolution for it with others.

Will try backing up all over weekend and give another go. It's mightily frustrating it can't just update it whenever I open iMovie and it tells me to update it.

Thanks again!

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Download Final Cut Pro trial and use that? It works for 3 months and can be reset by removing one file but that would be piracy. ;)

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
OK. deleting iMovie, and then clicking the links you guys posted here....
I now just get:

iMovie can’t be installed on “High Sierra” because macOS version 13.5 or later is required.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
I've used the same Apple ID on my phone and MBP since I ever bought Apple stuff, 15 or 16 years ago, which still works fine if I download from iOS store, and never had a problem, I only get that message on High Sierra when trying to update in App Store, using same ID. Even iTunes accepts it no problem on same MBP. It's just this. There's no good reason why it should say that, but I don't think I'm alone with that problem.

You know that's what Apple Support is for? The phone number is at the bottom of the homepage and is free.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
You know that's what Apple Support is for? The phone number is at the bottom of the homepage and is free.
I get that, but...... In over 15 years I've never once phoned them and had a result for anything I've ever called them about. Not once have they solved what I've called them for. I can hear the brain ticking as they're reading up on what I've already tried, or knew already. If it works for some great, but I've had more results from this website.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
I get that, but...... In over 15 years I've never once phoned them and had a result for anything I've ever called them about. Not once have they solved what I've called them for. I can hear the brain ticking as they're reading up on what I've already tried, or knew already. If it works for some great, but I've had more results from this website.
Have to agree here, they are super incompetent.

Was just told by some guy from Apple that iTunes songs have drm lol.

I told him it’s not the case and he kept arguing.

They will often tell you to do factory reset etc.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Have to agree here, they are super incompetent.

Was just told by some guy from Apple that iTunes songs have drm lol.

I told him it’s not the case and he kept arguing.

They will often tell you to do factory reset etc.
It's basically, 'have you tried switching it on and off again' territory, I'm afraid. They tell you they're looking it up.
I can do that, that's why I called in the first place.....

Reactions: Astrohunter

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
If by that he means music you buy or listen to via iTunes/Apple Music then of course it is! There's nothing "lol" about it. 🙄
Music bought via iTunes has no drm since at least 2008. This is why i started buying music there in the first place…

Reactions: coolguy4747
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.