Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a 2021 14” M1 Pro MacBook Pro base model attached to a Studio Display - I run the MBP lid open, but actually rarely do anything on the internal display.

I’m running out of space so really would like a 1TB+ Mac, and have recently started more Android development - Android Studio seems to eat far more RAM than Xcode so also looking for 32GB+ of RAM.

I was planning to look at M2 Pro MacBook Pros, but once you spec them up to that level, they are extremely expensive. It’s made me consider a Studio instead - I don’t really travel with my Mac as much as I used to, and I have an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard where I can do a lot of more menial tasks. (I looked at M2 Pro Mac Minis, but they seem far worse value?)

Has anyone made the laptop to desktop switch? I think it makes more sense to me, but I’m worried I’m going to miss the 3 or 4 times a year where I really value a portable Mac.

Any thoughts welcomed!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I replaced my 2020 iMac 5K with my existing 14" M1 MacBook Pro (in clamshell mode driving two 32" 4K displays via TB3 dock), but quickly decided a true desktop was just a better fit for me and bought a base M2 Max Mac Studio.

magic_mouse_max

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2023
I'm in a similar situation. Currently, I use a 2020 M1 Mac mini connected to a Studio Display for personal use, and an M2 Air for when I need mobility. These machines are more than sufficient for the work I do (iOS development).

In a few years when my mini retires, I might go for a Mac Studio instead of a MacBook Pro. Even though the latter is more versatile, the price can be really expensive, considering I'd still be connecting it to my Studio Display most of the time.

Last edited:

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I just ordered a base Studio M2 Max. Love it. Added a Samsung 2GB 980Pro NvME with an Acasis enclosure. Transferred a 113GB file from the Studio to the NvME in under a minute. TB4 is super fast.

Also am running a 16" 2021 M1 MBP.

Ran Lightroom and denoise on some raw format pictures. Took 20 seconds on the Studio and 40 seconds on the MBP. That made my mind up.

I also have an iPad Pro M1. Will probably use that and sell my MBP for any road trips as the MBP is a beast to lug around.

And to top it off, I just ordered a base Mac Studio Ultra tonight. Will return the base Max tomorrow after the Ultra is here and set up. Just felt the 64gb RAM and 1TB drive on the M2 Ultra chips would benefit my video editing more, especially with LR and PS running on alternate monitors.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
As suggested above -- get the Studio, and keep the MBP as a spare or for portability "when you need it"...
Don't really have the budget/need for both unfortunately. Have managed to free up 100GB on my MBP so considering keeping it for a while longer, although the Studio is very tempting.

Reactions: mr_jomo

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have an M1 Pro MacBook Pro 32/1 but I usually run 4-5 monitors so I eventually got a Studio. The Studio is in my home office and I use the MacBook Pro around the house or when traveling. It works out great. I also have a 4 TB NVMe SSD hanging off the Studio and it's the home NAS.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Just a tidbit.

Here is a small example of using LightRoom denoize on a 45MB RAW file and the time it took.

MacBook Pro M1 Pro 40 seconds.

Mac Studio Ultra 8 seconds.

I was sold after I picked up the Mac Studio Max, but decided to get the Ultra instead and am more than thrilled.
I guess this will be the Ultra M2? This one is significantly faster than the M1 Ultra.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
@cambookpro I am in the exact same situation (own a base M1 Pro 14"), so please report back with your experience once you receive the beast :)

Thanks!
My MBP has been traded in so no going back now..!! Have a few Xcode projects which I’ve benchmarked before selling it though, so will see how it compares and update here.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Reached

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
My MBP has been traded in so no going back now..!! Have a few Xcode projects which I’ve benchmarked before selling it though, so will see how it compares and update here.
That is perfect, I am a developer myself, and often struggle with the 16GB of ram that I currently have, and that is even without running any docker, VM's or the like :)

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
You will love it I bet. My M1M Studio is the best computer I've ever owned. It just works. And does everything I could want. (Except the damn outdated HDMI port).

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I’m on an MBP14 M1 Pro 16 GB and thinking about switching to a Mac Studio M2 Max 64 GB plus an MBA 15 early next year. I’ve been wanting this kind of setup for a long time and I think I’ll actually do it. :)

Reactions: pshufd and Reached

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I’m on an MBP14 M1 Pro 16 GB and thinking about switching to a Mac Studio M2 Max 64 GB plus an MBA 15 early next year. I’ve been wanting this kind of setup for a long time and I think I’ll actually do it. :)
You can have those specs in the 14" MacBook Pro right now though.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I know. But the Mac Studio has fewer points of failure. No hinge. No battery. No display. No keyboard. No track pad. So I’m less worried about its life span when it’s running hot regularly.

At the same time the MBA is lighter than the MBP when I do take it with me.

So in combination it costs more, but each of the two devices is better at its respective job.

I’ve always like the idea of having a really powerful desktop plus a really portable laptop. Originally I wanted the iPad Pro to be my portable computer. And I really like it. But for me the differences in workflows between my Mac and iPad are just too big. That’s just me. Other people will be fine with that.

Therefore, I won’t replace my iPad Pro with another one when the time comes.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I know. But the Mac Studio has fewer points of failure. No hinge. No battery. No display. No keyboard. No track pad. So I’m less worried about its life span when it’s running hot regularly.

At the same time the MBA is lighter than the MBP when I do take it with me.

So in combination it costs more, but each of the two devices is better at its respective job.

I’ve always like the idea of having a really powerful desktop plus a really portable laptop. Originally I wanted the iPad Pro to be my portable computer. And I really like it. But for me the differences in workflows between my Mac and iPad are just too big. That’s just me. Other people will be fine with that.

Therefore, I won’t replace my iPad Pro with another one when the time comes.
I get it. I have a Studio plus a base MPA M2. It's a great combination. And the MPA is almost like an iPad replacement. I got it on sale at BBY for $999 which is totally price competitive to an iPad Pro/Keyboard combo. And for me at least, far superior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.