Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Does anyone have experience moving far away with very few bags?

No.

I have lived and worked abroad - in different countries and continents - for long periods of my life, - often in trying, challenging and testing environments - but I take the view that it is a good idea to bring some of what I need with me. That means at least one large suitcase, and, on occasion, two, if I am to be away for longer than two months.

If you don't bring it with you, you may have to buy replacements instead. This might not be a good idea when money is tight, - as I believe may be the situation with you - or you are working in the sort of underdeveloped spot where such things might not be readily available for purchase.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Is your idea of moving with few bags just to keep cost down?

If so, at least compare the cost of shipping your stuff over to the UK in advance with buying it new over here. I don't have the time to do the research or maths, but it might work out cheaper.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Is your idea of moving with few bags just to keep cost down?

If so, at least compare the cost of shipping your stuff over to the UK in advance with buying it new over here. I don't have the time to do the research or maths, but it might work out cheaper.

No its mainly to avoid headaches with having to ship things

Reactions: superscape

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Oh the things young people do when they're in love. It's rather sweet; romanticizing the struggles they'll face bringing them closer together. Akin to a Nicholas Sparks novel.

Good luck! Don't try the licorice allsorts. It's addicting.

Reactions: orbital~debris

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
if you already have the clothes you need, have you considered just paying the airline's fee for checking an extra bag? It's probably cheaper than buying a bunch of stuff you already have.
True I'm thinking I won't need to do that I have very few clothes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
if you already have the clothes you need, have you considered just paying the airline's fee for checking an extra bag? It's probably cheaper than buying a bunch of stuff you already have.

Very good idea.

True I'm thinking I won't need to do that I have very few clothes.

Look: London is a fantastic, lively, city, a city that has made its living from trade, and commerce for the best part of a thousand years, but do bear in mind that it is a very expensive city. Even normal things are expensive there.

It will be far cheaper to pay for a suitcase of clothing, gear and necessities - stuff you are comfortable in, fits you, know that you like, - than to pay a fair bit of money (and spend the time) to replace those clothes and goods in the south east of England.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Here are a few other questions I have.
How can I get the equivalent of 1 years worth of prescriptions?
How do I get health insurance?
How can I get my own uk bank account with a tier 5 visa?

Any advice is appreciated

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Our health insurance is free (NHS). Not sure how it works for visitors.

Couldn't you just register with a dr and get prescriptions over here? Can't see someone giving you a years worth of drugs.
Opening a bank account you just need proof of ID (photo preferably) and proof of address.
Not sure what tier 5 visa is.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Something you might consider is shipping your luggage by UPS and just take a small carry-on.

Does anyone have experience moving far away with very few bags?

Yes, I have this experience, and JamesMike suggestion is the best option you have. Some years ago I moved from Barcelona to México city. I sold what I didn't care for (mainly big furniture/appliances too expensive to move trough the atlantic), send via mail post most of my belongings, mainly the most heavy/burdensome ones (think rollerskates, musical instruments, this sort of things), and took some bags with me and my wife on the plane. You must mail your things (or UPS, or FedEx, or DHL, whatever) at least 2 weeks prior to departing, this way you won't have to wait that long for them.

Be advised that altough you desire to travel light, and plan accordingly, at the end you will carry more luggage than you were originally planning for. I ended up paying for additional baggage in the plane.

The other option is to rent space in a cargo container (many moving companies provide this service), put everything on it and travel only with your clothes and a few essentials on the plane. When I looked around, this option came as a second close to the first, but I finally realized it was way more expensive.

Reactions: orbital~debris

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Yes, I have this experience, and JamesMike suggestion is the best option you have. Some years ago I moved from Barcelona to México city. I sold what I didn't care for (mainly big furniture/appliances too expensive to move trough the atlantic), send via mail post most of my belongings, mainly the most heavy/burdensome ones (think rollerskates, musical instruments, this sort of things), and took some bags with me and my wife on the plane. You must mail your things (or UPS, or FedEx, or DHL, whatever) at least 2 weeks prior to departing, this way you won't have to wait that long for them.

Be advised that altough you desire to travel light, and plan accordingly, at the end you will carry more luggage than you were originally planning for. I ended up paying for additional baggage in the plane.

The other option is to rent space in a cargo container (many moving companies provide this service), put everything on it and travel only with your clothes and a few essentials on the plane. When I looked around, this option came as a second close to the first, but I finally realized it was way more expensive.

When we get closer to this we will be selling bigger items what we want to keep for our return will be put in storage. What I will be bringing over mainly clothes and my computer will be in a carry-on. I wont be bringing any sports gear big furniture or appliances.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Kent is a beautiful county. Can I ask is your partners master's course only available at Kent or King's College?

The reason is that Kent is very expensive to say the North West i.e. Manchester or Liverpool both of which have excellent universities. The job market is quite strong and there are a number of call centres IT prospects in these areas too.

The UK is a small country but there are plenty of excellent places of study.

cheers

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
SO here -i chose Kent & KC by going through all the universities in the UK which offered my program of choice, went through the required courses and course description to understand which courses met my needs with regards to what I hope to get out of the program and investigated the professors to see which ones have research interests similar to mine. Then I narrowed those down by removing the schools that are located in places I know I don't want to live (I recently went to work in a university in the UK in city I didn't like and it was an awful experience), and then by which places were easily accessible to my family in case of an emergency.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
SO here -i chose Kent & KC by going through all the universities in the UK which offered my program of choice, went through the required courses and course description to understand which courses met my needs with regards to what I hope to get out of the program and investigated the professors to see which ones have research interests similar to mine. Then I narrowed those down by removing the schools that are located in places I know I don't want to live (I recently went to work in a university in the UK in city I didn't like and it was an awful experience), and then by which places were easily accessible to my family in case of an emergency.

Sounds like you've done your 'duedil' I'm sure it'll work out for you both.
I have been to Kent & worked briefly in Tunbridge Wells, very pleasant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.