Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I wrote a long-ish post about by experiences with O365 on my 12.9" IPP here.

Short version:
  • For most day-to-day use, Word and Powerpoint are fine. The biggest issue I ran into was the inability to edit styles and document margins.
  • Excel is the weakest of the three, with no macro and a lot of functions are missing. I am not a big Excel user so this is not a big deal.
The iOS version of Office has never corrupted, deleted, mangled a file. I had some poor luck getting files stored offline in OneDrive so I could edit them without a network connection. I didn't spend much time troubleshooting it.

smkapcoe

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
I wrote a long-ish post about by experiences with O365 on my 12.9" IPP here.

Short version:
  • For most day-to-day use, Word and Powerpoint are fine. The biggest issue I ran into was the inability to edit styles and document margins.
  • Excel is the weakest of the three, with no macro and a lot of functions are missing. I am not a big Excel user so this is not a big deal.
The iOS version of Office has never corrupted, deleted, mangled a file. I had some poor luck getting files stored offline in OneDrive so I could edit them without a network connection. I didn't spend much time troubleshooting it.
[doublepost=1527169251][/doublepost]I would have to agree. I really want to like Word 2016 on the iPad, and Excel too. The inability to create references (or maybe i don't know how) is a killer to me. I love my 12.9 Pro, and I can use it for general text entry or anything not requiring citations. Excel doesn't feel natural to me, however. I have had several formula-laden spreadsheets calculate wrong moving from Windows Excel to iPad. I almost underpaid my workers! PowerPoint works fine for my uses (simple slide shows for work). I still prefer them to Apple offerings. I have a 365 account from school, And One Drive for me is seamless.

Reactions: dk001

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Hope you guys don’t mind me butting in bUt seems like this is the right crowd to ask. a couple of us on a different thread have been speculating and wondering how onedrive works when you’re offline. Actually, how it works on the iPad Pro period. He already has one, I’m planning on transitioning my entire mobile setup to iPad and this ones pretty critical.

On my thinkpad and MBA I save a copy in the onedrive folder and it syncs up to the cloud automatically when online. So I always have a local copy and the document I’m accessing across various devices is current. (I’m an author, can’t afford to work on yesterdays file or lose words)

How about the iPad. Assuming you’re not connected does it also save something in a “onedrive” folder on the machine and then go up to the cloud automatically?

I found an answer for iCloud Drive. Apparently it does keep a local copy and sends it up just like my laptops work. Onedrive I can’t find an answer.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

eV

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Hope you guys don’t mind me butting in bUt seems like this is the right crowd to ask. a couple of us on a different thread have been speculating and wondering how onedrive works when you’re offline. Actually, how it works on the iPad Pro period. He already has one, I’m planning on transitioning my entire mobile setup to iPad and this ones pretty critical.

On my thinkpad and MBA I save a copy in the onedrive folder and it syncs up to the cloud automatically when online. So I always have a local copy and the document I’m accessing across various devices is current. (I’m an author, can’t afford to work on yesterdays file or lose words)

How about the iPad. Assuming you’re not connected does it also save something in a “onedrive” folder on the machine and then go up to the cloud automatically?

I found an answer for iCloud Drive. Apparently it does keep a local copy and sends it up just like my laptops work. Onedrive I can’t find an answer.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

eV

Using a Basic account, when I am offline, I get a message telling me to turn off airplane mode or use wifi to Access Data.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Using a Basic account, when I am offline, I get a message telling me to turn off airplane mode or use wifi to Access Data.
Oh jeez. So Office doesn’t save anything anywhere and you always have to be online? That’s just ridiculous. Airplanes. Travel. Long trips. Plus I need a local copy, can’t be downloading for offline use and then uploading again. I’d be lost wondering where I’ve made changes.

Something to think about now. Pfff.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Oh jeez. So Office doesn’t save anything anywhere and you always have to be online? That’s just ridiculous. Airplanes. Travel. Long trips. Plus I need a local copy, can’t be downloading for offline use and then uploading again. I’d be lost wondering where I’ve made changes.

Something to think about now. Pfff.

I used Documents by Readdle Inc. for anything I need to work on while off line.
However due to the overall hassle, I use my Thinkpad or rMB instead. Much simpler.

Reactions: eVolcre

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I used Documents by Readdle Inc. for anything I need to work on while off line.
However due to the overall hassle, I use my Thinkpad or rMB instead. Much simpler.

I can think of a workaround (planning on getting rid of my thinkpad and going with an iMac iPad Pro system)

Use iCloud Drive even for my office files and then when online, copy it over to onedrive. Or simply use iCloud with gdrive as my backup for documents. Txt files and excel spreadsheets aren’t that large. It’s only around 4gb.

I just checked and apparently office does let you save straight to iCloud and you can make folders on iCloud Drive now. Might work. Doesn’t make sense though. Onedrive should save ON the device and then synch up when online.

Reactions: dk001

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
wondering how onedrive works when you’re offline. Actually, how it works on the iPad Pro period.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-i-work-offline-3cdc0690-7332-4d4b-8884-ba2a353a42d8

"When you're online, AutoSave is always on and saves your changes as you work. If at any time you lose your Internet connection or turn it off, any pending changes will sync as soon as you’re back online.
---
You can open Office files stored on your device. To work on a file on OneDrive...you'll need to have opened the file in online mode at least once. You can work on it offline after you have opened it."

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I can think of a workaround (planning on getting rid of my thinkpad and going with an iMac iPad Pro system)

Use iCloud Drive even for my office files and then when online, copy it over to onedrive. Or simply use iCloud with gdrive as my backup for documents. Txt files and excel spreadsheets aren’t that large. It’s only around 4gb.

I just checked and apparently office does let you save straight to iCloud and you can make folders on iCloud Drive now. Might work. Doesn’t make sense though. Onedrive should save ON the device and then synch up when online.

It is doable. Tried it for a month plus.
In the end you have to decide if it works for you. :)

Reactions: eVolcre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.