Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiverY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2024
I recently purchased a second-hand M1 Pro mbp14, and when running heavy tasks, several cores are not engaged. After running benchmarks, the multi-core score is only one-fourth of a normal M1 Pro, and single-core performance is also significantly below normal values(not all cores working when running geekbench6). The hardware was tested by the Apple Store and no faults were found, and the system was just restored. So, what could be the issue with my Mac?

Its my Geekbench6 test result:https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5736206
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 10.28.45.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 10.28.03.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 10.13.47.png

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Post the link to your Geekbench test. CPU Core utilization in Geekbench isn't linear or even, it's common to see different cores utilized depending on the load. Your score looks off but is hard to pinpoint without a detailed benchmark link.

Reactions: heretiq

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...After running benchmarks, the multi-core score is only one-fourth of a normal M1 Pro, and single-core performance is also significantly below normal values(not all cores working when running geekbench6)...what could be the issue with my Mac?
This is an issue with Geekbench 6, not with your Mac. There were major changes in Geekbench 6, especially in multi-core testing. It runs longer and does more diverse tests. However, a key goal was to better reflect how many real-world apps "cooperate to complete a shared task." Since many real-world apps are poorly written and do not properly harness multiple cores, it appears that Geekbench 6 intentionally does likewise. See attached graph showing Geekbench 5 vs Geekbench 6 running on my M1 Ultra.

The problem is you want a benchmark to test your machine's *capability*, not mimic poorly-written multithreaded apps.

For decades it has been a goal of software development to produce better tools to enable programmers to leverage multi-core CPUs. Progress has been slow, but with tools like Swift Concurrency there's hope this will improve. On the negative side, many apps are now developed using web technologies that have very limited (if any) client-side multithreading, due to limitations in the Javascript foundation.

The basic limitation in multithreaded performance is generally Amdahl's Law, not the underlying hardware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

If you want an easy multithreaded high-CPU test, you can run this terminal command, where (for example) '20' is the number of processes to run. For an 8-core machine, use 8, etc. To shut down the test, issue this command:

'killall yes'

N=20; seq $N | xargs -n1 -P$N -I{} sh -c 'yes > /dev/null &'

Attachments

• GeekBench5_vs_6_M1_Ultra.jpg
    GeekBench5_vs_6_M1_Ultra.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 31

bombardier10

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Your CPU slows down because is too hot. I think that cooler not works at all or need cleaning. This is not a properly working laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.