Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
So its being reported that this will be possible, which has me wondering -

When multi-tasking / split-screening was made possible on iPadOS, I posed a question to my local Apple Store staff - the results causing some consternation. The question - 'So I can now open two documents side by side and work on them simultaneously?' Seems that wasn't the case - you could only open and display one instance of an app. Much to the surprise of the Store staff. So if one document was open in Pages or Numbers, the only way you open another was by using another office Suite, like MS's Office.

I don't know if things have changed since - that issue was a bit of non-starter for me and buying an iPad - but maybe with the ability to have more than one instance of an app on the Home screen, that means you can open them up at the same time, each doing a different task?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
So its being reported that this will be possible, which has me wondering -

When multi-tasking / split-screening was made possible on iPadOS, I posed a question to my local Apple Store staff - the results causing some consternation. The question - 'So I can now open two documents side by side and work on them simultaneously?' Seems that wasn't the case - you could only open and display one instance of an app. Much to the surprise of the Store staff. So if one document was open in Pages or Numbers, the only way you open another was by using another office Suite, like MS's Office.

I don't know if things have changed since - that issue was a bit of non-starter for me and buying an iPad - but maybe with the ability to have more than one instance of an app on the Home screen, that means you can open them up at the same time, each doing a different task?

This was possible in iPadOS 13. The app needs to support it but many apps do and most apple apps do.

For example I regularly have numerous Safari windows. I also use 2 different pages documents at the same time, 2 different notes, 2 mail apps etc in split view.

Screenshots from iPadOS 13:

Attachments

• 8A27D91E-81CD-4C9B-B202-06B2A3840A31.png
    8A27D91E-81CD-4C9B-B202-06B2A3840A31.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 08ABF9FE-E853-4DA0-98F9-A76080B29E85.png
    08ABF9FE-E853-4DA0-98F9-A76080B29E85.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This was possible in iPadOS 13. The app needs to support it but many apps do and most apple apps do.

For example I regularly have numerous Safari windows. I also use 2 different pages documents at the same time, 2 different notes, 2 mail apps etc in split view.

Screenshots from iPadOS 13:
Ah, good to hear! May finally make the iPad a justifiable purchase for me, at the price they ask. More business-friendly.

Otherwise, as only a bog standard news / book reader, internet cruiser, mobile video and occasional gaming device, its not something I could justify when a $70 Amazon Fire (albeit tweaked to get rid of it's Launcher) does that - and without my bank account flashing before my eyes should it slip off the coffee table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.