Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roenpoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Netherlands
MacOS Music app isn't the best app, ain't it. For example navigating playlists and sorting between tabs (Album, BPM, Genre etc.) is terrible. Searches do not show the correct results, importing tracks always skip a song or three. Very annoying. A large ALAC library, (almost) never caused any problems in de past. Using iTunes from the beginning, great, but lately Music App is getting worse by the day. NOT usable, no fixes, buggy as sh*t. Change my mind.

edit: Oh, and I don't want to buy music in Music! I Want to browse my OWN music.

Last edited:

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
MacOS Music app isn't the best app, ain't it. For example navigating playlists and sorting between tabs (Album, BPM, Genre etc.) is terrible. Searches do not show the correct results, importing tracks always skip a song or three. Very annoying. A large ALAC library, (almost) never caused any problems in de past. Using iTunes from the beginning, great, but lately Music App is getting worse by the day. NOT usable, no fixes, buggy as sh*t. Change my mind.

edit: Oh, and I don't want to buy music in Music! I Want to browse my OWN music.
You are right. Even iTunes became unusable for me, having my own music and being "Apple Music" subscriber at same time; it was a total chaos.
I realised Apple wanted its app to be used for AppleMusic.
I use Audirvana for my music, but there're cheaper options. Slowly but surely, new software for "owned music libraries" will appear; a lot of people is quitting Apple's app.
This seems interesting: https://quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: roenpoe

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"No proper alternative"

You can still use iTunes, if you wish.

Download the free utility app called "Retroactive":

It will install and "patch" iTunes to work with Monterey.

Reactions: roenpoe

roenpoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Netherlands
Is there a way to install other versions of Music App?

edit: Now installing Retroactieve, curious!

Because I think iTunes/Music.App is better then alternatives like VLC and Audirvana when it comes to navigating and editing playlists with music from my own collection, but NOT with latest versions

Last edited:

roenpoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Netherlands
OP wrote:
"No proper alternative"

You can still use iTunes, if you wish.

Download the free utility app called "Retroactive":

It will install and "patch" iTunes to work with Monterey.
Wow, this is it (so far so good) Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.