Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have iTunes Match (now iTunes in the cloud?) and Apple Music.

Quite often a track, that has been Matched (because I've ripped it from a CD or something), just won't play from the Playing Next list and the Music app is just hanging (sometimes "for ever", other times just for a while before skipping to next song) when trying to play the track.

When I try looking the song up in Apple Music I often get a message saying "this song is not available in Norway", but it's still available for sale in iTunes Store in Norway.

The only way to play it, that I've found, is to manually download it _before_ it's supposed to start playing (if I'm even allowed to do this).

This is not a new issue with the new Catalina Music app, it used to happen in iTunes, too.

I have reported it to Apple's "new" Feedback assistant.

Anyone else with their own music collection, experienced this?

Anyone found a way around (that doens't include ditching iTunes Match and our Apple Music)? ;)

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I found the same thing a month or so ago. First of all, all my old matches are now apple music with drm. Any new songs i add are matches without drm. It seems that the apple has intergrated music in the cloud to apple music and not the itunes store. So songs that are not available to stream from apple music, even if they exist in the store, will no longer play. Also I found that an album may of matched with different version of a song, like a greatest hits, where the original album is still there, but the greatest hits version is gone so random songs on albums stop working.
I found the only way to fix this, is to go back into itunes/music and hopefully you still have the original ripped files (you did back those up, right?) Delete the songs from itunes and re add the songs. They will either rematch to a newer version or upload now.
An easy way to find all your songs that are now bad, is to create a smart playlist with cloud status to "not available" or something like that. Doing that, i found about 50ish songs that i had to do that to.

Reactions: levanid

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
An easy way to find all your songs that are now bad, is to create a smart playlist with cloud status to "not available" or something like that. Doing that, i found about 50ish songs that i had to do that to.
That doesn't always tell the whole story, though, because the Cloud status will - more often than not - still just be "Matched" on many of these non-playing tracks, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.