Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I switched phones to iPhone 11 at the same time everything updated to iOS 13. At the time, I was listening to podcasts and not music. Now, using 13.3, the music acts different than it use to.

I'm in a 2015 Fit that is not using Car play but connects via bluetooth to the iPhone. In the past, I could pick Music, pick a playlist, hit shuffle, and it would start to play. I could stop and start my car and it would work its way down the shuffled playlist. The only thing I could not do is stop Music on the iPhone (pick Music and then give it a swipe up). This would effectively reset Music and... as I recall, would cause it to just play all of the songs the next time I connected but would still sequence through the entire catalog.

Now, every time I start my car, Music picks a particular playlist and starts playing the playlist from the 2nd song (not the first for some reason) and the play list is not shuffled.

Has anyone else hit this? Is this a known bug? Is there a "fix"?

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
This could be down to the memory management system, which causes the Music app to be deleted from memory while you're not using it. I've noticed similar behaviour (though not exactly this particular one) when I returned to my car after a longish period of time. That is, it never happens after five minutes, but it can happen after eight hours.
If I was previously listening to a local playlist, then most of the times it would start playing where it left off, as if nothing had happened. Other times (very rarely) it would play the same playlist, but from the beginning.
If I was listening to an Apple Music smart playlist (e.g. using a Siri command like 'play some pop from the eighties'), sometimes it would continue normally, other times it would play just the most recent song (the one that was playing when I got off the car) and then stop playing completely, other times it would forget everything and just start playing whatever local playlist had been played before the Apple Music one.
This only happens when the car has been parked (and thus the Music app has not been used) for a longer time, at least a few hours, which makes me suspect a memory management issue. Actually, I don't think the issue is with the memory management, which probably works correctly, but rather with the Music app not being able to cope with it as it should (i.e. to remember its settings correctly upon the next reload).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.