Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProgRocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Yes, just logic. I don't use anything else. I've read Reaper may actually be better optimized for apple silicon, but without using it I can't comment.

It might be worth your time to try another DAW to see if that is a contributing factor. Yes, Reaper is supposedly better optimized for AS. You could also try Studio One as there is a free 'full' version available. Both are free to try. It may provide you with some addition information.

I'd have to re-read this thread but I don't recall you mentioning having a problem with any other apps other than Logic, that would then lend itself to point to Logic as a possibility.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is this just with Logic ? Have you tested other DAWs ?
For what it's worth, Avid has not certified Pro Tools to be compatible with macOS Sonoma, and the M3 Pro/Max laptops can only run Sonoma so there could be issues there that Avid has not yet resolved.

Reactions: 3SQ Machine

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
I'm probably going to throw in the towel on testing new rigs, outside of potentially an M1 Max. I've got to get something that works or just stick with the same gear for now. Talked to Apple Support yesterday and they don't have any answers yet (it's been a week waiting on engineering). Unfortunately, I'm about to blow past the return window.

This reminds me of the issue we had some years back during intel days when Logic wouldn't play nicely with certain screen resolutions and external monitors--and no one could figure out why. It was related to some coding between logic and the built-in intel GPU--even though the specs made it seem this shouldn't happen. I had to run an external GPU to avoid crackles at lower buffer sizes on some gear. I eventually ditched that and just went for a 27" iMac since everything was optimized and the problem disappeared. Maybe in this case there is something about the 14" resolution that taxes the GPU. I can only speculate at this point and may just have to spec up the gear to handle whatever inefficiencies are in the software/hardware.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Couldn't find a reasonably priced 14" Apple Refurb M1 Max within driving distance (2.5 hours 1-way!), so snagged an open box apple certified M1 Pro 16" refurb. Did the same test run of projects -- yup, buttery smooth on this 16" M1 Pro base model 16/512 with minimal GPU/CPU usage and no jitteriness while scrolling/zooming.

Assuming this new-to-me M1 Pro checks out, I'll probably keep it since the delta between it and trading in my old 16" M1 Pro to Apple is less than the price to replace the battery. Plus I really like the silver color (had space gray). I'll also get to re-up my warranty + add Apple Care+ again--and a fresh battery! This is also about 1/3 the price of keeping the 16" M3 Max holy moly.

Seems bizarre to go through all this just to come full circle back to a 16" M1 Pro for my larger rig. But it works.

Still need a 14" for certain road situations, so Best Buy also has a sale on the 14" M3 Max 30 core GPU right now + a special for 10% cashback off the purchase if I apply for a card. F-it, I've now got that rig to test + a new card. Not as great of a deal (about 17% off) but still better than nothing.

So if anyone is looking for an M1 Pro 14" 16/1tb apple certified refurb (should be $1200 or so), one should be popping up in Micro Center's inventory anytime now.

I'll let y'all know how the M3 Max goes--probably fine I'm sure.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
EDIT: Unbelievable but I've now had to throw everything out from this work (and thread) because all signs point to the more recent Sonoma updates. Before I was able to migrate from my trusty old M1 Pro, I had to update its macOS to match a new machine. BEFORE the update, machine was smooth. AFTER, just as bad as the rest. Even the M3 Max -- which I had to update--is now choppy. Signs point to the February 8 update as a possible culprit.

Soooo.... what a rabbit hole. Was probably just chasing software updates this whole time and not catching it as a Sonoma problem. This is probably why it's sporadic and didn't make sense. If the M3 Max is having an issue--it's definitely software, not hardware.

I'll downgrade one of the new machines that shipped with ventura and run a test there and report back. Then, at least, we'll have a clue.

UPDATE: Just to close the loop on this thread--reinstalled ventura on the M1 Pro from a TM backup. ALL IS WELL.

Last edited:

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Looks like you may finally have your answer.
Yes indeed -- for now. Hopefully macOS 15 squashes these bugs. I'll still be running the M3 Max on sonoma and updating (no choice). Crazy that logic is choppier on the M3 Max than on the M1 pro, but this is why some people are still rocking intel machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.