Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
So I walked into a camera store and they had these in so picked one up. For those that stalk me on the web, you may have seen this in other places I frequent:

I consider this to be perhaps the perfect APS-C as well (haha, until the next one)! One reason I bought this was because of the 100% viewfinder. It's pretty close to 100%, so that's awesome. Obviously, I haven't had time to take this for a spin in the real world yet, so can't report too much. It seems about as good as the 40D, but more coverage. I notice some slight distortion in the corners (probably a challenge of making 100%). I'm going to guess that it's one of those things you don't appreciate the difference too much until you try going back.

Some other asides:

I have a feeling I'm going to break the cover for the HDMI/USB ports - it's a bit more plasticky as opposed to rubbery, and they encourage you to pull it all the way out and rotate it while it's only held on my a pretty thin cylindrical piece.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. oh my god.

Changing AF modes is finicky, requiring pressing a button to change AF, then another button to change the mode (single, multi, or all), and then using the multicontroller to change the zone or single point.

The new LCD overlay is great. Seems accurate and feels high-tech. The built-in level is really good too.

Loads of customisation. Not sure if the 50D was like this, but you can change the DOF preview button to various things - I have mine set to quick-change between single shot vs AI servo when held down.

Video is solid. It's going to be tricky to learn, which is good - more to grow into! I'm going to need a new hard drive.... 330MB per minute! I wish there were a 720p 30fps. it's only 1080 at 24(25)/30 or 720 at 60(50).

I am thinking iso 3200 is equiv to 40D at iso1600. I used to use 1600 in a pinch, so this is great news. Man, one extra stop indoors is so great.

What I do like about this is there's less fear about buying lenses/bodies and having to worry about correct calibration, as the built-in compensator for each lens you put on will be useful to those who are anal about it.

The new location (or rather return to old like in 350D) of the on/off switch at the mode dial is throwing me off, but I'll learn that eventually. I dislike being able to turn it off while holding my camera with one hand which is not possible now (it's now on the left).

I posted this up at PotN as well:

So while I didn't preorder, I did go to a camera store today, and lo and behold, they had a 7D. Impulse buy!

Anyway, for those that are interested (probably everyone), my semi-scientific iso test.

These are images viewed at 100% in iPhoto, and then screen grabbed. These are resized screen grabs, but click through to my flickr to see the 100% screen grab (the images are 1.8 MB each, so I'm not posting them here).

Conditions:

Hand held, Manual exposure, EF-S 17-55, f/2.8, AWB, Jpeg:

Again, RESIZED IMAGES -> CLICK TO 100%!

7D High iso ( Noise reduction disabled):
Top: iso400,800,1600
Bottom: iso3200, 6400, 12800

--------------------------------

7D noise reduction (in camera, iso1600):
Top: NR disabled, low NR
Bottom: standard NR, strong NR

---------------------------------

7D vs 40D high iso (NR disabled):
Top: 40D, iso 400, 800, 1600, 3200(H)
Bottom: 7D, iso 400, 800, 1600, 3200

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for going to all the trouble. Of course as soon as you do a test like this, somebody will come along and criticize your testing technique. So here it is ;): I wish you would have shot these with a tripod. I can't tell whether I'm seeing detail loss or camera shake across the sets.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I'm getting one. The 7D offers so many advantages over the 40/50D now that it's worth it for me to upgrade.

For me: the viewfinder, higher res but good noise levels, integrated flash sync, integrated remote sensor, and of course HD video capabilities. Awesome all around camera.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for going to all the trouble. Of course as soon as you do a test like this, somebody will come along and criticize your testing technique. So here it is ;): I wish you would have shot these with a tripod. I can't tell whether I'm seeing detail loss or camera shake across the sets.

There may possibly be shake in the iso 4oo shots, but I know shake when I see it -the rest don't.

But like I said, not the most robust testing, but gives you an indication of what to expect.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe it's the gadget freak in me.... but got any pics of the actual camera? :p

....meh...you can get much better stuff elsewhere. I don't have my light box set up, so I couldn't get anything better.

b51pcm.jpg

119qgrd.jpg

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
....meh...you can get much better stuff elsewhere. I don't have my light box set up, so I couldn't get anything better.

b51pcm.jpg

Nice review. Is that a 85 f1.8 I see there? Sweet lens. I miss it sometimes. It kills my 85L's focusing. Ugh!

That ISO is looking pretty good. I haven't really looked at these too much. I was coming here to ask a question about my cinema display and I got a little distracted. :D

Anywho, nice camera. Congrats!

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Nice review. Is that a 85 f1.8 I see there? Sweet lens. I miss it sometimes. It kills my 85L's focusing. Ugh!

That ISO is looking pretty good. I haven't really looked at these too much. I was coming here to ask a question about my cinema display and I got a little distracted. :D

Anywho, nice camera. Congrats!

Yeah, f/1.8. Can't afford the 1.2L, but it's one of my dream lenses. Still, I do like a faster focus. Thanks for the comments.

Some more playing around: iso6400, baby:

EF-50mmf/1.8, f/2.0, 1/60s, iso6400

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
So I walked into a camera store and they had these in so picked one up.

Thanks for the elaborate review. The above sentence confuses me. You walk in a store, see a camera and just buy it ( to test it for us? :) ) I do these things too, if I see a nice bottle of wine or an interesting book. Your pockets must be deeper than mine. Enjoy your new toy and please post more pictures.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Wow, these shots seem pretty impressive. Makes me feel good about my decision to go with the 7D instead of paying more for the 5D Mark II.

Was noise reduction on or off in the pictures of the cat?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for the elaborate review. The above sentence confuses me. You walk in a store, see a camera and just buy it ( to test it for us? :) ) I do these things too, if I see a nice bottle of wine or an interesting book. Your pockets must be deeper than mine. Enjoy your new toy and please post more pictures.

Not that elaborate, just some musings.

Well, to be completely honest, I was going to see if they had one. I had an interest, but not necessarily seriously going to get one, as I never pre-ordered. I read around and lots of people were waiting on their orders to start shipping. I was only vaguely in the market for a new body - at one point toyed with the idea of a 5dmkII, but when I was there and it was staring at me in the face, I backed down at the expense.

When the 7D was announced, I was once again piqued. Apart from the full frame, it seemed to have all the bits I wanted from a new body, plus a new AF, and I didn't have to give up my EF-S lenses.

I seriously didn't think they would have any in stock when I went. But as I walked in I saw one on the shelf (display), they only got two in, and one was on display a couple hours prior. So I snapped it. It may have cost me a new MacBook pro, however :D

Thanks for reading :)

Wow, these shots seem pretty impressive. Makes me feel good about my decision to go with the 7D instead of paying more for the 5D Mark II.

Was noise reduction on or off in the pictures of the cat?

These are JPEGS straight from the camera, standard high iso NR (options are off, low, standard, strong), no auto light optimization. Obviously they aren't noise free, as these are resized, which can hide the noise, but the shots are still very useable, I think. the 50mm f/1.8 is also not really that stellar at 2.0, but it held up ok. Focuses really well on the 7D too (the AF on the 50mm on my 40D often doesn't cope as well).

I think you can't go wrong with the 7D - best APS-C sized camera at the moment. It really is a mini 5DmkII, I think. Also, what you get out of it probably depends on what you're on now, and what you're looking improve.

dutchieman

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Timeline for OSX/Aperture RAW support?

what would be the expected timeline for OSX and/or Aperture to support the 7D's RAW format? How long did Apple take with previous newly released Canon sensors? I realize this would be a guess, but it's called mac rumors for a reason, right? ;)

I got a 20D now, and definitely will upgrade, but I'd like to keep the options of RAW adjustments right in Aperture.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
what would be the expected timeline for OSX and/or Aperture to support the 7D's RAW format? How long did Apple take with previous newly released Canon sensors? I realize this would be a guess, but it's called mac rumors for a reason, right? ;)

I got a 20D now, and definitely will upgrade, but I'd like to keep the options of RAW adjustments right in Aperture.

I second this question. My recollection is that it can sometimes take Apple four or more months to support a new camera, but I may be remembering wrong.

One thing is for sure so far: the beta version of the 7D raw processor in CS4 and Lightroom brings out these vertical bands in dark shadows if you really crank up the fill lighting (=shadows slider in Aperture). But the same raw file will have no such banding given the same treatment in the Canon raw processing software that comes with the 7D (dpp). So the files can be processed in CS4 or Lightroom, but that beta version has some issues.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Thanks for this review. My "impulse buy" was when Amazon announced they were taking preorders at midnight the night the 7D's were announced. Mine is in-transit as I type this. :)

I second this question. My recollection is that it can sometimes take Apple four or more months to support a new camera, but I may be remembering wrong.

One thing is for sure so far: the beta version of the 7D raw processor in CS4 and Lightroom brings out these vertical bands in dark shadows if you really crank up the fill lighting (=shadows slider in Aperture). But the same raw file will have no such banding given the same treatment in the Canon raw processing software that comes with the 7D (dpp). So the files can be processed in CS4 or Lightroom, but that beta version has some issues.
Tom Hogarty (Lightroom Project Manager) has said that "LR2.5, CR5.5 include preliminary support for Canon 7D, G11 and S90. Preliminary = files open but we are not close to final quality."

I'm even in more of a world of hurt because my critical pics get often get the DxO treatment, and the DxO system means you have to wait for 7D support combined with support for specific lenses for that camera. (And they are still working out issues with SL...)

Does anyone know anything about the date for an updated DPP 3.7.x for OSX with 7D raw support? All I'm finding at canoneos.com are the manuals.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Can you please redo the 40D vs. 7D noise comparison, except this time correctly expose the 40D's pics to match the 7D's pics?

Thanks ;)

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Can you please redo the 40D vs. 7D noise comparison, except this time correctly expose the 40D's pics to match the 7D's pics?

Thanks ;)

Probably not, sorry. It is what it is. The settings for both cameras are the same, so it shows the comparison at the same settings. The darkness is either the 40D (or 7D, I guess) not providing the same exposure at the same settings, or a slightly different angle of shot (after all the MacBook Pro keyboard is shiny, and depending on the angle of light, it might appear darker).

Yes, this can affect the noise in the shot, so in that sense it isn't the best test, and I said as much. It is what it is. Then again, maybe this simulates more 'real-world' testing conditions.... :p ;)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well perhaps maybe the 7D exposes a half-stop brighter then the 40D? Which explains what happen?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Well perhaps maybe the 7D exposes a half-stop brighter then the 40D? Which explains what happen?

Or the 40D exposed half a stop darker. I guess another camera coming in to the mix may help clear things up in that regard.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah, f/1.8. Can't afford the 1.2L, but it's one of my dream lenses. Still, I do like a faster focus. Thanks for the comments.

Some more playing around: iso6400, baby:

Love that cat, so cute! Those pictures look great. Can you provide full resolution of that pic? 6400 looks really usable on the 7d.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Love that cat, so cute! Those pictures look great. Can you provide full resolution of that pic? 6400 looks really usable on the 7d.

Thanks!

I'm not going to upload the full res, but if you want to see the 100% crop, here are some of the images:

ei4g7n.jpg

e12eq.jpg

It does lack detail, but I think that's partially due to the limitations of the 50mm at f/2.0. I'm going to take some sharper lenses (when wide) out for spin eventually. Thanks for the comments.

SelfMadeCelo

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Tulare, CA
Just a side note: I read an article today that a 7D was used to film a sketch on Saturday Night Live and they're thinking about using it to shoot a new title sequence.

Article

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Regarding Apple support of the raw files:

I've done some googling came up with this info, for what it's worth. The 5D Mark II was announced in mid-September of 2008. It started shipping in late November. Apple came out with raw support for it in late December. So: three months after the announcement and one month after it was available in stores.

I'm going to guess that Apple will have raw support for the 7D by this time next month.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
One thing I'm seeing on Teh Intarwebz is that people are opening high ISO raw files from their new 7D using ACR 5.5 (from CS4 or PSE 6/7) or Lr 2.5 and are posting the results online.

The problem is that, even though ACR or Lr will technically open the 7D CR2 files, the results are pretty scary at higher ISOs. It'll probably take ACR 5.6 and Lr 2.6 to get proper support for the 7D CR2s:

"LR2.5, CR5.5 include preliminary support for Canon 7D, G11 and S90. Preliminary = files open but we are not close to final quality." -- Tom Hogarty, Lightroom Product Manager (Sept. 15th, the date ACR 5.5 went live)

As of today, there isn't even a Camera Labs beta of ACR 5.6/Lr 2.6. Before anyone judges noise levels from 7D .CR2 files from some 100% crop online somewhere, at least check what workflow they used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.