Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Got mine today upgrading from the Originals, finally a charging case to take up that last spot on the Belkin 3-1. The AirPods 1 fit my ears great and would stay while running. Would forget I'm wearing them, but wearing them while laying on a pillow would get a little uncomfortable, a quick test with the 3 seems to be more comfortable.

Soundwise is better, might just be the port opening directed into my ear better.

Reactions: Abazigal and johntw

areudum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
How good is it compared to previous Airpods pro?
If it fits your ears, i would say its better than the previous model overall.

im still trying out various ways to put the new airpods in my ears without a partial fallout when tilt my head or start talking. So i certainly cant tell you if it will fit your ears well. Dont rely on other peoples opinions for this. You will have to try it out yourself.

one thing i didnt mention in the post is that these airpods are easier to clean, now that the speakerholes are bigger.

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
If it fits your ears, i would say its better than the previous model overall.
Dont rely on other peoples opinions for this. You will have to try it out yourself.
Yes these are the key points of the forum posts. The only way to REALLY know is to try them yourself. Just be sure to purchase from a dealer with a generous return policy in case they don't fit you.

In my ears the sound quality is a lot better than the 2nd generation, probably because of how well they fit. Very happy with the full sound considering they're just earbuds. The fit in my right ear is slightly better than my left but neither side moves, with no indication they might fall out. They fit snug but not uncomfortable at all. They're actually just right.

Reactions: johntw

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I just wish they felt a bit less "present" in my ear.

The AP1/2 can truly disappear to the point of forgetting I have them in.

Yesterday in my testing on and off all day, it was the opposite with the AP3s -- to the point of kind of wanting to "take them out" after 1.5 hours or so.

After all this waiting I'm a bit bummed I'm not more in love with these.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Just ordered the airpods 3 yesterday, will be arriving on monday so it will be my first time even putting on airpods..I was conflicted between this and the airpods pro but wasn't sure if that silicone tips I would be a fan of so will see how these work out, if I dont like them will return them to target

Reactions: johntw

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Been completely enjoying my AP3’s so far. Wore them literally all day today while raking leaves and doing other yard work and they didn’t fall out once nor did my ears hurt. I’m coming from AP2’s which I also like, but they never felt secure in my ears. Very easy for me to accidentally knock them out.

So, at least for me, the new shape is a big win. Better sound and battery life is just gravy. I don’t plan to use spatial audio, not my thing.

Reactions: bhodinut

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Same here, just picked mine up an hour ago and I love them so far. Was never a huge fan of the tips on the pros. I think these will be perfect. I also always used transparency mode so I’m good with the open design.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Legend! Works perfect. It’s the little things lol
I figured it out but muscle memory has a lot of memory ?. The thing is that with my AP2 I could place both back with my right hand easily. I find it more complicated with AP3 where the ergonomics requires to use the right hand to put back the right pod and left hand for the left pod. Well…I’ll get used to it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Love my AP3 and the case with personalized emoji’s - ? ❤️ ?
Sits perfect in my ears.
Nice uppgrade from AP2 that don’t have so long battery time anymore.

Edit: I got 6 months free Apple Music with this purchase. Go claim yours ?

Last edited:

Monsterbit2021

Suspended
Nov 2, 2021
The sound improvements and spacial audio are exactly what I wanted coming from the older AP2s. They fit me well, just slightly more snug than AP2s. I think the larger fitment may be a problem for some.
For people who get sued to the AP2S, the 3 does have a problem in size.

Pushpaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
I just commented on another thread but will add a note here too. I went to an Apple Store today to try on the new Airpods after seeing so many 'my ears hurt, they are too big' type posts here and elsewhere. A few moments in store was enough to convince me that I wasn't going to be in that crowd. I'd suspected as much as I have bigger ears and although I loved my 1st gen Airpods (still kicking after 3+ years) the bass would get lost because they didn't sit in my ears just right. I had used the little fuzzy stretchy covers like old school headphones have and that would mostly solve that problem.

I'm a couple hours in and it is like the gen 3 Airpods were made for me. The fit is perfect, I jumped around a bit to see if I can get them to fall out and they did not, I can hardly tell that they are there and they sound amazing. I also have Airpod Pros (on my 3rd pair which thankfully has not had the same crackly failure as the first two pairs) and I'd say these sound as good as those do, but without the silicone tips which make my ears itch after a while. I don't think I'll need to go above 50% volume, as that is plenty loud. I am very pleased so far.

slawejandur95

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2020
Thank you for this thread. I'm currently debating whether to get Pros or the 3rd gen, so this thread was super helpful ;)
Think I'll go for gen 3, as battery life is crucial for me. I never owned a pair, so I hope I'll be satisfied.

mquinn

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
I love my new AP3 but the case battery seems worse than the AP2 case. Anyone else? I feel like I didn’t have to charge my case that much before. Now I’m having to every day.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I love my new AP3 but the case battery seems worse than the AP2 case. Anyone else? I feel like I didn’t have to charge my case that much before. Now I’m having to every day.
I've kinda of noticed this as well. It's not super dramatic or anything, but the case does seem to dip below 50% a lot quicker than the old case. Conversely, the buds themselves seem to have much, much better battery life.

Reactions: curdy and johntw

Deiota43

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2021
Stupid and newbie question…
Can I use a AirPods Pro 3 gen with a windows laptop ?
Can I have AirPods Pro 3 gen paired with 2 devices at the same time (laptop and iPhone )?
Thanks

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Bought today. I have Airpods 2 and Beats X. Fits in my ears better than Airpods 2. With Spatial Audio are miles better than Beats X and Airpods 2. Punchy bass, clear mids and lows. I've started to love music listening.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Stupid and newbie question…
Can I use a AirPods Pro 3 gen with a windows laptop ?
Can I have AirPods Pro 3 gen paired with 2 devices at the same time (laptop and iPhone )?
Thanks
Can't answer about Windows....

But the pairing and shifting using AirPods 3 between different devices is extremely smooth.
Very happy with mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.