Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I've been having another try today.

Ok again- I mean this in the nicest possible way.

All of those pictures are boring.

#1 is ok from a technical standpoint, but the flower (or whatever it is- seeds?) isn't easily identifiable as... whatever it is.

#2 I liked the idea, but if you divide the frame with a diagonal line running top left to bottom right, the top right is way too bright in comparison to the bottom left. There's also hardly any of the turtle's head in focus, and it seems like you're trying to take a picture of the turtle's forehead. Maybe you were indeed trying to do that, which means it's a boring subject ;-)

#3 Relatively flat, flower is in the dead center of the frame. An application of the rule of thirds would have made that a lot better.

#4 Ok, it's a pipe of some sort. Other than that, what are we supposed to take away from this shot?

#5 Same, except substitute "knob" for "pipe."

Oh by the way, just so people don't think I hate everything: Your #2 and #5 from the last set you posted were very nice. #5 especially- great colors and angle on that one.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Ok again- I mean this in the nicest possible way.

All of those pictures are boring.

LOL. This is exactly why I posted the pictures here. I wanted someone to tell me what they really think. I totally appreciate you taking the time to look at and critique them.

I have only just started out and when I am taking photos I am concentrating so hard on the technical aspects that I totally forget about the aesthetic ones (composition, subject matter etc.) the majority of the time. Plus my technical ability is in it's infancy so that isn't always right either :) I know what you mean by the subjects being boring and I am going to make the excuse that it's because I am still learning the technical side but I guess that to really appreciate that aspect I also need to get creative.

Thanks and I hope you'll continue to be brutally honest. It's the only way I learn.

I quite liked my pipe one :eek:

Edit: You have totally motivated me now. I'm going to try really hard to take a photo that you like and find interesting tomorrow ;)

Do any of these do it for you? Self portrait reflected in sunglasses maybe?

Attachments

• Castle-Ashby-062.jpg
    Castle-Ashby-062.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Castle-Ashby-046.jpg
    Castle-Ashby-046.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Blurred-Al.JPG
    Blurred-Al.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 61

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Studio Lighting is completely different than nature photography - you seem to know that already, and this thread is focused on the images above, and that was what I was referring to.

Again, I've described what bringing lighting to the equation in the specific images referenced above would do. The swan picture is the most glaring example of where bringing lighting to the equation would make the image better, and anyone who's done any amount of bird photography would agree- because it's obvious to anyone in the field. You've bought no sane counter argument. You've tried to describe something as "professional," which I have rebutted. I've also, and will further discuss the fact that nature photography at it's higher levels, includes lighting.

Of course indoor photography requires lighting, I'm not retarded, and I have been in those situations where I have lit a scene with studio lighting, but not hot-shoe or direct flash, ALWAYS FILTERED. And, if you are going to fill flash something, you want a DIFFUSED source because you don't want to wash out the image. Hmmm, I think you're getting a little worked up about

You're showing a lack of understanding of lighting. Not diffusing a light source doesn't produce a "washed out" image, overpowering does- and you can do that with or without a diffuser. A diffuser changes the angle of the light hitting the subject and therefore produces a softer light- sometimes that's appropriate, sometimes it's not- depending on the mood one wants to set in the scene. Directional lighting helps to bring out details. Sometimes you don't want soft light- there are no absolutes, most especially in artistic photography. I'd recommend that you get a copy of "Light: Science and Magic" to fill in your knowledge gaps. Washing out comes from intensity, not directionality. Just like people who think softer light comes from lights placed further away, you're simply not showing an understanding of how light and lighting work.

all these different niches, and I don't think this poor fellow who started the thread is looking into a dissertation on the various locations and usages of niche photographic lighting techniques.

Asinine comments like "a good photographer doesn't need flash" are what got us here. You're the one who's trying to define "always," "good," "art," and "professional." I'm simply rebutting your inane statements.

True photography is art.

So now you hold the definition of good photographers, as well as "true photography?" I know thousands if not hundreds of thousands would disagree with your definitions.

If you are a true photographer, you are an artist, and an artist does not need to change what the art is, he only captures it for others to enjoy also.

No, an artist *creates* art. A documentary look at a moment in time isn't always art. You do a major disservice to anyone who spends their time creating images using their imagination rather than just a tool. Only an idiot would try to bound the definition of art or what all artists can and can't do to create their art.

So, therefore, if I look at a magazine, I see nothing but COMMERCIAL photography - not art.

Then you should get better magazines, as well as a better vision. Just because an image has been purchased doesn't make it unartistic. Nature Photographer, National Geographic, View Camera and literally hundreds of other magazines contain a very good number of artistic images.

And only recently has art photography begun to use flash because of pressure from, well people that want manipulated art, with the advent of photoshop and digital photography - you cannot deny that.

I most certainly can deny that- folks like John Shaw, Art Wolfe, et al. have been using fill flash for quite a bit longer than most folks have been using Photoshop or digital cameras- starting in the early '80's top nature photographers were bringing flashes into outdoor pictures with regularity. These folks sell lots of images as fine art nature. I think you're ignorant of the history of what you're professing an opinion on.

Perhaps your narrow worldview is only now opening enough to see that many, many photographers have known for quite a long time, or perhaps it's only now that you're being exposed to good photography because the "secrets" of getting great images are no longer secret, expensive or all that difficult- but it's not that recent a practice.

Here's what Franz Lanting has to say:

http://www.lanting.com/phototips_opflash.html and here are some relevant excerpts:

I can’t imagine going into the field without strobes today. Modern equipment makes this very easy. It wasn’t always that way.

For me, it’s important that I can communicate something special about the subject through my photography. With flash, I can literally spotlight a part of the scene so the viewer knows exactly what’s essential to the image. The flash lets me highlight elements of the composition, isolate key subjects or give a special importance to something. I can use different types of flash light to do this, from harsh, dramatic light to soft, gentle and diffused illumination.
(Don't tell Frans he should always diffuse his light! You might make him cry!)

Then softboxes got smaller and left the studio for the field in the early ’80s. Commercial photographers have long known the value of these light modifiers, but they were cumbersome for field use. When small softboxes came out, we were able to gain whole new levels of control.

Well, a "saleable" image goes back into the COMMERCIAL world of photography, and a sellable image for an artist is one not influenced by the buyer that ends up selling because of the shared emotion of the buyer and the artist. You must realize that not everyone is a commercial photographer, and not everyone is a niche photographer.

Once again, you're the one who brought up the term "professional," hence my rebuttal with examples of professional photography that show you're mistaken. Most of my sales are actually fine art, and I suspect I'm more aware of the market than someone who thinks "anyone can do wedding photography." The Mona Lisa is a saleable image, that doesn't make it any less artistic. Your closed-minded views appear to limit what you see tremendously.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Studio Lighting is completely different than nature photography - you seem to know that already, and this thread is focused on the images above, and that was what I was referring to. Of course indoor photography requires lighting, I'm not retarded, and I have been in those situations where I have lit a scene with studio lighting, but not hot-shoe or direct flash, ALWAYS FILTERED. And, if you are going to fill flash something, you want a DIFFUSED source because you don't want to wash out the image. Hmmm, I think you're getting a little worked up about all these different niches, and I don't think this poor fellow who started the thread is looking into a dissertation on the various locations and usages of niche photographic lighting techniques.

Most other photography is not photography - it is a stages mockup of what a client wants, commercial photography. True photography is art. If you are a true photographer, you are an artist, and an artist does not need to change what the art is, he only captures it for others to enjoy also.
So, therefore, if I look at a magazine, I see nothing but COMMERCIAL photography - not art. And only recently has art photography begun to use flash because of pressure from, well people that want manipulated art, with the advent of photoshop and digital photography - you cannot deny that. Well, a "saleable" image goes back into the COMMERCIAL world of photography, and a sellable image for an artist is one not influenced by the buyer that ends up selling because of the shared emotion of the buyer and the artist. You must realize that not everyone is a commercial photographer, and not everyone is a niche photographer.

There are a few people on this forum who actually know what they're talking about and compuwar is one of them. You'd be much better off trying to understand what he's saying and following up his references than trying to pick a fight.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
wow! :eek:

you like pink a lot!!

very nice but!
Haha nah, those were just the available flowers in my garden at the time :)

I just looked at your Flickr page, the picture of the eye of buddha, absolutely terrific in my opinion.
Ahh thankyou :)

You're welcome to disagree, but once again,[...]
Well compuwar, it seems you have stirred quite the discussion on this page! Not disagreeing with any of it, as it seems you are arguing with that other guy more haha :) But i must say, thankyou for the amounts of generous input which i have taken note of! :) In my opinion, i dont really like flash as natrual light always seems to look a bit softer - however, saying this, i always tend to shoot outdoors, as you can see! (Apart from the hands of the buddha statue.) Flash is usually needed indoors, and of course when shooting people (excuse the wording there :D) and what not a flash is needed, so i totally agree with what you are saying i guess! haha :)

Hey there. Nice pics to start out. I'm in the same boat as you. I have access to a Pentax K100D and have previously just snapped away in Auto mode with it but have just started playing around in Manual mode and bought myself a Tamron 70mm-300mm lens which I got yesterday and tried out. I would be grateful for any constructive criticism too from the old pros here :)

By the way. Where in Northants are you from? Kettering i'm guessing?
Thanks, i like your shots too :) And yeah, howd you know?

I've been having another try today.
Nice pictures, but as mentioned by that other guy (i forget) there isnt alot to take away from those pictures, such as the pipe :) Its cool to look at, but other than that.. :)

Wow, didnt think this thread would have so much technical discussion in it though :O Keep it coming :D Its all very helpful :)

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I love how a thread asking for CC from someone new to photography turned into a discussion on the meaning of photography.

THESVD - It looks like you are off to a good start, the best tip I can offer is to shoot as much as you can and don't be afraid to experiment. Don't be afraid to try using a flash outdoors, photoshop or HDR because someone told you that you shouldn't or that it's not photography. Find out for yourself what works and what doesn't. Come up with your definition what good photography is.

And just to add my 2 cents: I agree with compuwar. Light is light and a good photographer will know how to use it to make the photo he/she wants. Also it's funny to say some photography isn't art. All it takes to make something "art" is for someone to call it art, if that makes sense. I can crush a bunch of pepsi cans together and call it art. It's up to the viewer to decide if it's any good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.