Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I still love Edge for MacOS and use it strictly for my work - but I've been using Safari as well for personal use and it's been fantastic as well.

I had been enjoying Edge for being lean, but yeah, it sure was gaining weight real fast. I use Firefox, Safari, Edge, and sometimes Chrome as I need lots of browsers for my WebDev work.

I naturally rotate between them depending on which one is making my life easiest at the time. I'll go for spend months on one, get frustrated by something and usually end up back on Safari at some point because it integrates the best and is fast when there aren't any glitches.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My main browser is Vivaldi. Sometimes I switch to FF just for the fun.
Vivaldi isn't lean. At all. And it doesn't try to be lean.

It's really a powerful browser with so many (great!) features that all other browsers combined with their extensions couldn't match up. And that is the reason I use it. And love it.

Since I will be switching to MacOS for my mobile needs, I plan to use Safari and Vivaldi on MacOS. Safari has always been great to me. But Apple kinda killed it when they disabled normal extensions.

Reactions: sracer

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I had been enjoying Edge for being lean, but yeah, it sure was gaining weight real fast. I use Firefox, Safari, Edge, and sometimes Chrome as I need lots of browsers for my WebDev work.

I naturally rotate between them depending on which one is making my life easiest at the time. I'll go for spend months on one, get frustrated by something and usually end up back on Safari at some point because it integrates the best and is fast when there aren't any glitches.

Safari is the one that hasn't really gotten bloated which I appreciate - but it's because Apple is a hardware company that uses their software as the bait, versus the opposite way most companies operate.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Safari is the one that hasn't really gotten bloated which I appreciate - but it's because Apple is a hardware company that uses their software as the bait, versus the opposite way most companies operate.
Every once in a while Safari gets some weird bugs that causes it to crash a lot or run reeeealllly slow. That's my only complaint and once it has a bug, it takes Apple forever to fix it so I move on to something else. Overall, I do find Safari to be consistently one of the faster browsers on a Mac.

Reactions: TSE

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Everything Microsoft is work of art. Except Teams. They probably hired Apple to program Teams.
It’s not only a buggy mess, it’s also a conceptual disaster. No multi account support, who wants to chat like that. Terrible.

Also Office. Thank god I don’t have to use this frequently and don’t need Outlook.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
The golden age of UI/UX and Design was Windows Vista. It's been downhill ever since. Clippy for President!
To be honest, I agree with you. Vista looked amazing. Same goes for Leopard and Snow Leopard.
I remember when Leopard was released I wanted a Mac so bad because of the design and I was blown away by the intro video.
Here's a recap:

Reactions: MBAir2010

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I wish Apple will open up iMessage. The only thing I miss about Safari is the autofill of login codes from text messages. For everything else Edge is great.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I wish Apple will open up iMessage. The only thing I miss about Safari is the autofill of login codes from text messages. For everything else Edge is great.
I love the safari interaction from iPod to MacBook with live tabs!
Edge is still great, but not on an iPad 15 and MacBook air.
although Edge is getting pushy with notifications, selling things and setting on the Dell XPS 13".

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The first things I do with Edge is turn off / disable shopping, Bing, Notifications and few others. Settings are synced to all my devices. So normally I don’t have to change anything. Also, disable JavaScript for some sites. For consistency across platforms it works well, all my Favorites and Collections.

The only feature I prefer to use Safari is its Reader View. Excellent.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I haven't used Edge. Well, other than a few short periods of time on my work computer where certain webpages don't work with IE and so Edge must be used. We're going through a period of transition with work applications and certain pages that don't work on Edge will work on IE, and vice versa, but that is not why I decided to post here. I've been resisting shifting to Edge with my work computer, no particular reason other than momentum and stubbornness I suppose, so I don't really have any experience with Edge.

And I had never even considered using Edge with my iMac (or new MacBook Air) until noticing the title of this thread and skimming the posts here. Folks actually are finding Edge to be a good browser choice, even in some cases finding it to be better than Safari for a Mac user??

I'm kind of shocked, but I did download the Edge installer and will be putting it on my iMac this weekend. I have most of the popular browsers installed already and from time to time will use Firefox, or Chrome, or Brave, or Opera. But 99% of the time I use Safari and am satisfied with it.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I use Edge Dev mostly, rather than the “release” Edge. Newer features being used in later builds and haven’t run into any issues.
(I would never use IE and have disabled even option to open some sites in IE compatible mode.)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Has anyone else tried Edge on Xbox yet? It's pretty much a PC now.

I wish we could ditch I.E. at work. The CCTV system only works with IE (UNV). I keep reminding them--in fact I reminded them again today since it's going to cue up the Windows 11 update any time now (my stepfather's HP already got the update) and it removes I.E. entirely. The boss has actually gone to lengths to blacklist any browser except IE since apparently having other browsers conflicts with the URL of UNV's little box, by loading the site in Edge. It's really painful to use that PC for parts lookup due to it.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Has anyone else tried Edge on Xbox yet? It's pretty much a PC now.
I mean, the system running Xbox One and now Series X/S is based on Windows 10. I'm actually surprised they didn't port more applications to the Xbox yet. A modern Office or something. My Series X is some fantastic hardware, dead silent, fast, I would totally use it as a PC for some work too, lol

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I mean, the system running Xbox One and now Series X/S is based on Windows 10. I'm actually surprised they didn't port more applications to the Xbox yet. A modern Office or something. My Series X is some fantastic hardware, dead silent, fast, I would totally use it as a PC for some work too, lol

That would be a very, very interesting concept! If all an employee does is office and use their browser, why wouldn't an xbox on a desk work? I could see some IT and software support advantages to an all xbox environment.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
In the video Linus does get the web apps for Office going in Edge, so there's that. I'm surprised they didn't port a variant of Windows 11 over to the Xbox yet myself, though.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That would be a very, very interesting concept! If all an employee does is office and use their browser, why wouldn't an xbox on a desk work? I could see some IT and software support advantages to an all xbox environment.
Also tons of GPU power. Incredible value actually. Maybe they don't want to cannibalize the PC hardware business by opening up the Xbox. I guess it's still not sold with a profit if you remove games from the equation.
In the video Linus does get the web apps for Office going in Edge, so there's that. I'm surprised they didn't port a variant of Windows 11 over to the Xbox yet myself, though.
I might be wrong, but I think you can just develop apps on Windows with the universal architecture (UWP) and use them on Xbox? Technically at least.
Office itself is an ancient monstrosity though, I actually prefer using the webapps as a PWA these days because of that lol.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Ancient indeed! Not only does the work PC only let you use I.E. (until its inevitable Windows 11 update, that's gonna be fun) but the only version of Office running on it is Office 2010. It's also got hundreds of desktop shortcuts across two monitors. The boss's daughter who's actually running things today brings her Mac in because she hates that PC as much as I do. I got my own Windows 10 PC in my shop that's always offline, used only for diagnostic tools and software, and it's pretending to be Windows XP. I refuse to touch that Lenovo monstrosity that's the work PC. Let the boss have fun with IE.

Now, given my post history, I actually applaud using old software for the most part. But that boss takes it to such an extreme it leaves me dumbfounded. I mean who even relies on Internet Explorer in 2022?! I remember it being bad in version 6.0. Office 2010 is ok, but it makes for interesting challenges opening up email attachments relying on Office 365. Oh and then there's her 'email'. Yahoo! Mail still exists. Not sure why anyone tolerates it today, though.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
And now it’s bloated and awful
Lol you revived a thread after almost 2 years for this? Im still perfectly happy with edge, was easy enough to just turn off its extra "features" when they got introduced. But it's still a very fast and smooth browser experience for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.