Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like Macs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
How would i get OS X onto the SSD?
I would create bootable installation media from your current installation (or a friend’s Mac if yours isn’t usable). Instructions here.
So you are saying that i don't need the temp sensor?
You definitely need the thermal sensor, again, unless you want to listen to your fan running full-blast or manually control your fan speed.

Conradish006

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Catawampus Land
Sorry, got confused thru the thread. are you sure it's not just the GPU?
I just had the same grey screen/pinkish bars - and did the "bake the GPU" hack to great success.
I'm not clear how you determined this was not your issue?
I decided against baking it because i read that it is bad for your oven. It was recommended to me to replace the NVRAM battery also known as the clock battery and it fixed the problem.
[doublepost=1558482556][/doublepost]
I would create bootable installation media from your current installation (or a friend’s Mac if yours isn’t usable). Instructions here.

You definitely need the thermal sensor, again, unless you want to listen to your fan running full-blast or manually control your fan speed.
I already have the fan run full blast because the DVD player that I replaced didn't have one. But yes I'm going to get the sensor for the new SSD.
[doublepost=1558482932][/doublepost]

Would these instructions work:? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-replace-your-macbook-pros-hard-drive-with-an-ssd Obviously, the installation procedure for the SSD is different because this is an iMac, not a MacBook.

Last edited:

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Would these instructions work:? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-replace-your-macbook-pros-hard-drive-with-an-ssd Obviously, the installation procedure for the SSD is different because this is an iMac, not a MacBook.
That covers the data transfer aspect of it, but for the hardware side, I'd be sure to use the relevant iFixit guide. I think this might be what you're looking for.

iFixit sells a "bundle" for the project which is listed on the page, but if you buy things separately yourself (which I'd recommend for price considerations if nothing else), make sure you get a mounting bracket along with the thermal sensor, since SSDs are smaller than the 3.5" hard drives used in iMacs. I bought the bracket pretty cheap...~$10 on Amazon, I think.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
yeah, unless you've found a source that will tell you otherwise, you're experiencing the exact same symptoms I did - and it sounds like we have the same model - the graphics card.

You mentioned above someone told you baking the card will "damage your oven" - I have zero idea how or why anyone would suggest that ("oven" not "microwave", is the key there) and there is lengthy documentation this fixes the issue - albeit with some level of uncertainty for how long. Mine has been operating perfectly for a week now.

Aiwi

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
It's an extremely common problem with all macs using the AMD 6xxx generation GPUs.

You could just take out the GPU and carefully heat up the GPU core with a hot air station (hot air gun).

I just did this myself on a AMD 6630m Mac mini.

Lay the GPU flat on a surface. Shield the surrounding GPU components using aluminium tape and carefully heat up the GPU die. I used heat setting 50%, then gradually moving up to ~80% heat on my hot air gun. No need to melt any solder or touch anything, just heat it up to heal internal cracks caused by thermal expansion. I was at it for approx 3-4min.

There's no need to "re ball", "replace" or anything else as this generation was flawed.

Conradish006

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Catawampus Land
I just have concerns about doing it. In case I break it then my Mac is fully dead. I was told that my HHD is probably dead and i don't want to replace both. And the GPU is $219.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
I just have concerns about doing it. In case I break it then my Mac is fully dead.
-

you have a 9 year old desktop - unless you replace or repair the GPU - your iMac is dead anyway. If you're capable of pulling and installing a SSD, this isn't really that too far a step harder. It's more time consuming and you have to just keep tabs of what cables went where from the logic board. The "oven part" is the easiest. The "putting all back together" is more time consuming than hard.

You can keep looking for other reasons why it's doing this, but I'm fairly certain anyone else who's had this issue with this model will agree with me it's the GPU.

Worst case - you buy a new iMac. If that's out of the question - you end up buying a replacement GPU - which means you're going to have to pull the old one off any way - so do that, bake it, put it back on and see what happens. (you'll have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and wonder when it works, btw). you have nothing to lose.

lastly, you should be prepped mentally for a new iMac - all reports are the baking method isn't a permanent fix and considering the computer is somewhat close to full-on lack of Apple support, spending the money for a GPU replacement and a new HDD, etc is money you could be putting towards a new one.

best of luck. if you have questions about the GPU bake, I'm happy to answer.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
There's no need to "re ball", "replace" or anything else as this generation was flawed.
I don't think so other than Apple using an extremely hot HDD. After years of overheating and cooling, the solder joints gave up.

Baking works by re-flowing the solder. That's what it does and there's no reason not to try it. Also replace the NV RAM battery. I have no idea how many GPUs have been baked when that was the real problem.

I replaced the HDDs and NV RAM batteries in a large number (hundreds) of 2009–2012 iMacs on a maintenance schedule averaging 5 years for local schools. All are still in service. Not one suffered the GPU problem. BTW, not one of the HDDs passed an in-depth SMART test even though Disk Utility showed them all as Passed. By contrast, I still pull HDDs out of earlier iMacs that are still good (too small and slow for anything but still good).

In 2013, Apple went to a slower and cooler HDD to fix this problem. For the most part, it did.

Reactions: Conradish006

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

That looks like a graphics failure.
I doubt that it has ANYTHING to do with the internal hard drive.
Not worth fixing in an 8-year-old Mac.

Time to look for a replacement.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
I do not have the professional experience mikehalloran has - I'm just a user, like you, that had the identical symptoms (on an identical model/year machine) and am presenting how I resolved it. No argument from me. You appear to be sold on it being a HD issue, so, by all means, go attend to that and let us know how that goes. I'm only suggesting the GPU issue is known, documented and reporting this goofy fix worked for me.

I will add, while I am using that repaired iMac at this very moment - I also have a new one or order and will be here next week.

best of luck to you, however you choose to resolve your issue.

Conradish006

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2019
Catawampus Land
I know it's been a while since I updated ya guys about my Mac.

I have decided to buy a pre-trash can Mac Pro.

I have a friend who's selling me a 2009 Mac Pro. (I'm not going to tell you the price. But it was very reasonable). It's been upgraded to a 5.1. It has a single quad-core 2.66 GHz Xeon. (We are putting in double 6 core hex processors.) It has two 256 GB PCIe NVME boot and scratch drives. Two AMD Radeon s7000 4 GB GPU's. 32 GB of Ram. And I will be putting is a couple of Samsung 860 Evo SATA SSD's in it. Also i will be putting a USB 3.0 hub in it.

Well, that's what I'm going to do. As for my 2011, I will be either parting it out. Or if I find parts for it cheap. I might fix it.

So that's what I'm going to do. Let me know what ya think about my upgrade.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.