Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Ordered the Magic Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, both just arrived today. Not sure if that was supposed to happen lmao, I’ll add pictures but AMA
IMG_20240511_154559.jpg

Last edited:

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Nice! Both the 13” MK that I ordered on accident and the 11” one that I bought once I realized my mistake have been sitting at “Preparing to Ship” for days.

tarek93

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Was the iPad on a separate order?
Do you have a scale to get the keyboard's actual weight and if so is this 11" or 13"?
Do the keys feel different to the macbook's keyboard? What's the key travel like?
Does the pencil weigh heavier than 2nd gen?

Reactions: jazz1

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I actually took my portable scale to the Apple Store today when I picked up the new Smart Folio Cover just in case they had the new Magic Keyboard on display, but they don't have them yet. If you can find a scale, a lot of people are very interested in knowing the exact weight of the new Magic Keyboard.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Looks like the user has made another thread and has a photo with a scale.

Yes, I just said on that thread that the new M4 iPad Pro 11” weight with Magic Keyboard = 1.024kg (M2 version was 1.068kg)

For comparison, the Macbook Air weighs 1.24 kg

And for further reference, the 12" retina MacBook weighed 0.92 kg

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’m curious what the exterior surfaces of the keyboard are like. Are they the same as the previous models or did Apple use a different material? One of the problems with both the Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio was that the exterior side that was placed on a surface when being used would scuff and show signs of wear. That’s why many, including myself, put skins on the that lower side, if not the entire exterior of the unit. Apple’s description of the MKB specifically uses the term “durable”; if that means more resistant to scuffing or wear then I might forgo the skin this time.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I’m curious what the exterior surfaces of the keyboard are like. Are they the same as the previous models or did Apple use a different material? One of the problems with both the Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio was that the exterior side that was placed on a surface when being used would scuff and show signs of wear. That’s why many, including myself, put skins on the that lower side, if not the entire exterior of the unit. Apple’s description of the MKB specifically uses the term “durable”; if that means more resistant to scuffing or wear then I might forgo the skin this time.
The exterior material is identical, which is a real shame. Apple must have a very good reason for using this material, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. They like their devices to look good in use, to attract other people to wanting to buy them. They must know how dirty this material gets, yet they persist with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The exterior material is identical, which is a real shame.
It is a shame because the Smart Keyboard Folio for my first iPad Pro only sat on my lap or on a lap desk, never on any abrasive or dirty surface. Yet that side that sits on a surface fairly quickly got a scuffed, roughened area. So I bought skins for that one and immediately got them when I bought my Magic Keyboard. Looks like that will be necessary for this new one as well, however I see none available for the new units yet.

LorneMalvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Spain Alicante
It is a shame because the Smart Keyboard Folio for my first iPad Pro only sat on my lap or on a lap desk, never on any abrasive or dirty surface. Yet that side that sits on a surface fairly quickly got a scuffed, roughened area. So I bought skins for that one and immediately got them when I bought my Magic Keyboard. Looks like that will be necessary for this new one as well, however I see none available for the new units yet.
Edit ,Sorry I confused the link, it's true that there are still no skins for the new Magic Keyboard

LorneMalvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Spain Alicante

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 13" Skins & Wraps (M4)​

• Love

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Reactions: LorneMalvo

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008

Yup I’ve been using dbrand for a while. I use both the iPad and keyboard skins. You can’t use a case with the keyboard. So a skin is the only protection.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

I've used the Damascus ( I think ) skin on my iPP, but I don't think they make the one I have anymore.

51284742815_6662c45848_z.jpg

I haven't decided if I will putting a skin on my iPP yet. If I do, I would like the 2024 version of their Teardown skin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.