Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
@findingmenno How are the consumers rights where you live?
In Danmark we have rules which protects the buyer if you have experienced the same defect 3 times.
so lets say that my screen had staingate and it got replaced three times due to it. after that i would be able to either demand my money back (what i paid) or get a brand new machine in its place.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
@findingmenno How are the consumers rights where you live?
In Danmark we have rules which protects the buyer if you have experienced the same defect 3 times.
so lets say that my screen had staingate and it got replaced three times due to it. after that i would be able to either demand my money back (what i paid) or get a brand new machine in its place.

- It's actually after the first attempt. They don't automatically get to waste time doing it three times.

Link in Danish:
https://taenk.dk/raadgivning-og-rettigheder/reklamationsret-10-vigtige-regler

findingmenno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Bali, Indonesia
I would need to research that. The computer was originally bought in the US. It was subsequently exchanged for the current one (see original post) in The Netherlands.
[doublepost=1472127257][/doublepost]Update on my screen.

Screen is replaced at A.Labs Premium Service Provider at Changi City Point Mall in Singapore. Dropped off MacBook around 19.00 and was ready for pick-up next day around 13.00.
No need to give password, no charges, no purchase receipt necessary.
However had logged case with Apple Support and made appointment online at A.Labs.

Was stressful affair, I was scheduled to land at 16.30 but flight got rescheduled and landed at 18.05. So was a quick dash through airport and metro to get to A.Labs in time. They close at 19.30 and had booked appointment at 18.30.
As I only was in Singapore 2 days I scheduled appointment and gave them problem and my timeframe, and requested Apple Support to pre-authorise the replacement. So initially very disappointed when was quoted a 3-5 day turnaround term. Staff A.Labs requested expedite and that luckily worked.

Staff also diagnosed my crash/slow reboot issue but couldn't find any hardware issues (as they couldn't in the last two diagnostics) and reinstalled OSX El Capitan.

So basically I have gone through the same routine has I have already done twice before. Although I hope for the best, seeing my past experiences my faith in this being a permanent solution to the problem is limited.

So now on my fourth screen...

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I would need to research that. The computer was originally bought in the US. It was subsequently exchanged for the current one (see original post) in The Netherlands.
- In Denmark that replacement computer would have been covered by law for two years, entitling you to an outright replacement after the first failed attempt at remedying the issue by the seller.
Perhaps also a full monetary refund, but I'm unsure of that since the replacement machine wasn't actually purchased and so wasn't associated with a cost that can be refunded.

I don't know how Dutch law handles it, but the following may be of use:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/netherlands/index_en.htm

Reactions: findingmenno

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Honestly, I think the biggest problem you face is the environment your laptop works in. I live on the ocean front, and everything in my life rusts almost overnight. My 2013 rMBP never goes near the salt air, and it is running jast as great as the day I bought it.

Reactions: jerryk

findingmenno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Bali, Indonesia
I agree that it is not an A/C office environment. However I usually work indoors away from beach/sand, only occasionally on a terrace near the sea. But as loss of the laptop due to my remote environment would be very inconvenient, I'm ensure to keep the machine safe. Keep it in a case, store it in a safe place, put in a backpack, etc.

Also that doesn't explain why others with MacBook Air, non-retina MacBook Pro and various Windows machine do not have issues...

The screen issue is a clear manufacturing defect seeing the many cases regarding this. The crash/slow reboot issue is just something not right in my machine (I suspect something very low level in the SSD, RAM or logic board). I cannot understand how an OS issue can affect a machine in such a way that it can't even find a bootable partition. With my understanding of computers that must be something else than an OS or software issue?
[doublepost=1472131275][/doublepost]BTW some info on my screen, from the sticker that was on it. It is a LG screen, revision 3AFD and I can see a date 2015/10/06. So it's most likely a screen already a year old, before the program so limited trust that the coating issue is resolved on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.