Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Is anyone else kind of bewildered at Apple's naming decision for the new Macbook? It is more Air than the Air, yet it does not bear the Air moniker.

It's kind of baffling. Name aside, it appears to be my next Macbook. My current early-2008 is nearing 7 years old. The only issue I have with the new Macbook is it's lack of Magsafe.

Daniel

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Is anyone else kind of bewildered at Apple's naming decision for the new Macbook? It is more Air than the Air, yet it does not bear the Air moniker.

It's kind of baffling. Name aside, it appears to be my next Macbook. My current early-2008 is nearing 7 years old. The only issue I have with the new Macbook is it's lack of Magsafe.

Daniel

It's not as baffling if you look at it as the first stone for a (more or less) complete review of the Macbook line. My guess is that they probably won't keep that many laptops - the lines are a bit too blurred for that.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's less than the Air. You can see Apple's lineup on the website and in the store. It's clear, MacBook < MacBook Air < MacBook Pro.

MacBookLineup.png

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think they will discontinue the Air at some point. Once the new MacBook becomes cheaper, it will replace the Air, just as the Air replaced the MacBook, even though it used to be a lot more expensive.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
It's less than the Air. You can see Apple's lineup on the website and in the store. It's clear, MacBook < MacBook Air < MacBook Pro.

But the name doesn't equal price. Air as a name originally meant thin and light. It has nothing to do with the price. Sure it is cheaper than the Air, but that's not the point of the name. If it is thinner and lighter than the Air, isn't it the true Air (pun not intended)?

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
The naming still annoys me 8 years later... dug out my old MacBook this week and have been partying like its 2015! Still don't get why they don't bring back this form factor - even if they rebrand it as a MacBook Mini/Nano I'd be delighted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.