Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
What's the take way on the nano texture option? It seems great, but I'm concerned about the durability of it and how it will be in day-to-day use. Will be hard to clean? Attract fingerprints?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Keep in mind it's for 1TB and 2TB models only

Interesting. I didn’t even notice that disclaimer when I was trying to check pricing for 1TB cellular with nano texture. Granted, I’m not buying anyway. Just curious about the cost.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I wonder how it will be long term after a ton of use with the Apple Pencil and finger oils.

Reactions: hiker-

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
The way I am looking at it is, Apple would not openly release a screen variant that carries a price increase and upon a new display type (OLED) if it would lose any sort of clarity over the standard glass.

Further, given that it is on a portable device that is primarily operated by touch, it surely must be durable and easy to maintain.

My only immediate concern is whether it will accept, or even benefit from, a screen protector.

In 12 years of iPad ownership, I have never had one without a screen protector.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The way I am looking at it is, Apple would not openly release a screen variant that carries a price increase and upon a new display type (OLED) if it would lose any sort of clarity over the standard glass.
Well, not really. There could be all sorts of trade-offs. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of debate here when people get to see them.

The first question will be to find out when Apple store will have demo units. If any of you happen upon a store, find out if anybody knows.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

That’s the nature of matte displays though. It’s the same with the Pro Display XDR. There are trade-offs between matte and glossy.

That said, if you’re using a screen protector anyway just go for standard glossy. You can always choose to add a matte screen protector if you want.

Reactions: subjonas

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Further, given that it is on a portable device that is primarily operated by touch, it surely must be durable and easy to maintain.

My only immediate concern is whether it will accept, or even benefit from, a screen protector.

I used to use screen protectors religiously. Then one day, years ago, I stopped. I have yet to have a scratch or any negative downside from going “naked“.

Reactions: klasma and IT Troll

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

That was the case with the ProDisplay XDR though and that was a brand new product. Marques already confirmed the black levels and overall clarity takes a hit with the nano texture on this new iPad.

3JL

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2016
Has anyone seen any mention of the interaction between the Apple Pencil and the nano texture display? Would it be more ‘paper like’?

derdante

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
I'd highly advise people to think twice about getting the Nano display on an OLED screen. With any sort of ambient light present, the coating will reduce the clarity of the screen and turn what could be pure black into a hazy gray.

Looks at this part of this video here:

You can really see the haziness of the screen vs. the bezel. This really is just an option for people who know they definitely want or need it. If you're on the fence, glossy will probably be better for you during day to day usage.

Last edited:

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Has anyone seen any mention of the interaction between the Apple Pencil and the nano texture display? Would it be more ‘paper like’?

No. It only reduces reflections and glare.

Enable 'smoothing' in your paint app's brush options. This is the only genuine way to simulate drawing on paper or canvas. Everything else including rough screen covers are a scam.

Reactions: 3JL

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
I'd highly advise people to think twice about getting the Nano display on an OLED screen. With any sort of ambient light present, the coating will reduce the clarity of the screen and turn what could be pure black into a hazy gray.

Only a little. This is what matte displays have always done and that hasn't stopped the world of image creation and advertising.

It's actually the deep blacks of OLED that are an issue. Great for watching movies but not great for previewing what your work will look like on all the display types in the world or printed on paper. That kind of deep black doesn't exist in print and it doesn't exist in the real world either (except vanta black and outer space).

honcho

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011

My thoughts are similar to yours. My only reservation is that, if it’s like the Studio Display, there will be compromises with nano-textured glass.

i didn’t even know screen protectors were a thing for iPads. I’ve never used one since getting my first iPad in 2010. I live in a house with stone floors and I have ADHD. Despite countless drops, I have somehow never managed to break a screen. Don’t the protectors affect sensitivity/IQ?

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Based on these initial video impressions, it seems obvious that there is noticeable compromise going with the nano texture. Blacks don’t look black, especially off axis, and that is the magic of OLED. However, if you use an iPad exclusively outside, I’d imagine the nano texture would be a good fit for these people…but for everyone else, you have to decide if the trade offs are worth it.

For me, its a no brainer. I’m happy with my 1TB/standard glass, just as I am with my standard XDR display after seeing a similar difference in-store.

Reactions: Even Longer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.