Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
anyone have any experiance with canon SD 600 or 630. The 630 is nice but is more expensive. Plus not having a view finder in bright/dark situations, how does that work out...
I plan on using it for noraml stuff, point and shoot etc. Anyother suggestions? I want it to be small and compact to fit in my pocket where my nikon can't go ;)

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
if it falls in your price range check out the Sony DSC-N1. It offers 8.1 megapixels and can satisfy you for quite a long time.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
This thread is really useful, thanks guys. I'm also looking to buy a new compact digital camera to take on holiday. I bought a 2.1MP digital camera all the way back in 1998, so although it still works fine it's not particularly spectacular by today's standards and it's quite bulky!!

I've noted down some of the suggestions in this thread and will look at a few reviews before I head out to the shops. Right now the Sony DSC-N1 8.1 Megapixel one is looking good... :cool:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW I ended up buying the Panasonic DMC-FX01. I really like the OIS, and the mini movie mode quality, and the lens is really nice for such a small package. Still getting used to the small size, and bumping into buttons by mistake.

B

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Well I bought a new camera today. I tried a couple of the Canon Ixus ones but found them quite fiddly, wasn't mad about the Sony Cybershots either. Ended up buying a Fujifilm Finepix F30 (6.3MP). It's supposed to be excellent particularly in low lighting conditions plus I found the whole thing easier to manage than some of the other models. My old camera is a Fujifilm so it also seems more 'familiar' to me :)

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
vikas soni said:
Whoaah. That looks huge compared to the sony. I dont need a prosumer model. Just need it for use on vacation, family events only. Upgrading from regular film cameras anything will seem great quality to me.

BTW, by compact I mean something pocketable.

I just bought a Canon IXUS 55 for my mother. It's not the newest model, so it's cheap, but 5MP are more than enough. It's very pocketable, I'm quite pleased with it (I own a Canon G3 myself, and it's way too large for my purposes..).
It's also compatible with the Canon Selphy printers. If you get one of those, you don't even need a computer anymore to print your photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.