Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
For me, the defining feature of a NAS is the ability to run Windows and MacOS backup software, without risk of losing the hard drive or forgetting.

I haven't really touched my wife's Macbook in a few years, but it's still backing up. Same with my old laptop that's unused and lost under a bunch of papers in my office somewhere.... it's backed up. And if I ever need to use it, it'll remain backed up.

Granted a lot of the worry about backups has disappeared over the years as iCloud and OneDrive have become more useful, but I'm not about to forgo local backup completely, not yet.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
NAS systems provide the following:
* Pool multiple drives together so they appear as a single storage entity
* Provide redundancy so you can replace a faulty drive without taking the storage offline (this functionality does not eliminate the need for a proper backup; it just allows folks to keep working when a drive is being replaced).
* They can provide better performance depending on various factors
* Attached directly to your network so multiple users can easily access the storage at the same time and without having to depend on a certain PC/laptop being left on.
* Some NAS systems also allow you to run other services (e.g. Plex) on them.
* Provide a way to expand your storage as it fills up.

If you don't need any of that, and by far most home users don't, then a NAS system is not worth the cost. If you can get away with something as simple as a single, external drive connected to your Mac then just go that route. Some folks will lead you to believe that you need a very expensive NAS or server with enterprise grade drives when a simple consumer grade external drive could do the job. Keep it simple. Just make sure you have a proper backup regardless of whatever solution you go with (e.g. get 2 external drives, which will still be much less than the cost of a NAS, and use one as a backup, ideally offsite).

The benefit is not having to think about backup or storage at all - at my house everything is set to a small Synology NAS unit under my TV & ethernet-connected to the cable router & it just works. Two hard drives in the enclosure, mirrored.
  • whole iMac is backed-up straight to NAS over wifi using Time Machine
  • ripped DVDs stored only on the NAS & play straight to the TV via PlayStation 4 'Media Player' app
  • original RAW photo files are stored straight onto the NAS, and bypass my iMac altogether (Lightroom edits live on the iMac HDD, itself backed up to NAS ...)
  • NAS photos album in-turn backed-up to Amazon Glacier for <50p per month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.