Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vasucek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Hello, I am not sure if I understand it correctly so I would like to hear someone else's opinion.

I am switching from iPhone 6S Plus (already sold it) to iPhone 7 Plus and I have 2 options:
  1. buy 32 GB version and have it delivered within a few days
  2. buy 128 GB version and have it delivered in a couple of weeks (probably more than a month)
The issue is that nobody is able to tell the exact date when 128 GB version will be available on our market.

And my situation is that I need iP 7 Plus asap as I will be traveling and can not wait that long.

I have been using iPhones for ages and started with 16, 32 and ended up last year with 6s Plus 64 GB. Never needed more.

I rarely play any games. I dont watch any movies/series and I dont have any music offline (only couple of playlists on Spotify are downloaded).

What I do is emails, social sites, streaming music, streaming videos, taking a lot of photos and videos and editing videos in iMovie (on iPhone).

When I had 64 GB I had many many apps which I rarely use (just was lazy to delete them) and most of the storage was occupied by photos and videos.

But I recently purchased 200GB of iCloud because it was saying 50GB is full.

And my question is - I dont need all of those photos to be "stored" on my iPhone. What I need is only recent photos and videos lets say from past 3 months (so I am e.g. able to edit video in iMovie from last trip).

Do I understand it correctly that thanks to iCloud I can have access up to 200GB of photos but in iPhone itself, there will be physicly stored only 32GB of them?

I would by 128GB without hesitation, but since its not available (and will be on our market probably in a month) I can not wait and want to pull the trigger for 32GB to have it asap.

I am asking it because dont want to make any mistake. Do I understand correctly how it works? Will I be able to live with 32gb and use it the way described above?

Any feedback/help/opinion will be appreciated and apology for typos or if I dont get it in a correct way. Thank you in advance for your time.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Not going to be enough. Especially if you are going to do anything with iMovie. That app itself is about 650MB. Video files are huge.

Start checking Apple Store websites for in store walk in pickup.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I don't think it works that way. I've asked similar questions before and I think the only way to do it is with shared folders. Typically iCloud just mirrors what is on your phone. Possibly with a little less space as you can check the optimize library thing but that won't get you from 200gb to 32gb.

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Don't regret your storage. Everyone knows 32 is the new 16 and it's not going to work and you'll be sorry

vasucek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks a lot everyone for prompt reactions.

However I read on the forum (when searching for an answer) that somebody said

"if you use icloud for your photos, 32gb iphone should be ok."

So that is why I thought having only 32gb iphone would be OK because all of the photos would be stored on my 200gb iCloud anyway.

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks a lot everyone for prompt reactions.

However I read on the forum (when searching for an answer) that somebody said

"if you use icloud for your photos, 32gb iphone should be ok."

So that is why I thought having only 32gb iphone would be OK because all of the photos would be stored on my 200gb iCloud anyway.

I would go bigger just incase. What if you need space for whatever reason and there's no going back. I would get more space and then your resell value increases also.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I have the 32GB model (24.08GB still free with all my apps installed), but I believe I am the exception. I stream all of my music, I don't create videos, I take a small number of pictures with my phone and I do not play any games etc.

I think most people would be better off going with the larger model.

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
I am switching from iPhone 6S Plus (already sold it) to iPhone 7 Plus and I have 2 options:
  2. buy 128 GB version and have it delivered in a couple of weeks (probably more than a month)
The issue is that nobody is able to tell the exact date when 128 GB version will be available on our market.

And my situation is that I need iP 7 Plus asap as I will be traveling and can not wait that long.

I think you answer your own question, yes you'd like more storage, and most likely will need it, but you can't wait until the larger size becomes available so unfortunately will have to get the smaller and use alternative means for storage.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I have the 32GB because I didn't want to give Apple an extra $100. As long as you manage your storage you'll be fine. After your photos get uploaded to Icloud just make sure they are deleted from your device.

Just remember you have to be good at managing your storage if you do get 32GB.

RIPstevejobs

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
dude why would you get 32gb especially on the plus ???

$100 more for almost 100 gb more ?? when youre already paying so much for the phone ??

kinda a no brainer. dont get 32.

Leo90

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I would never have a 32Gb phone nowadays as I dont have access to the internet all the time. I like to carry books, music and movies with me all the time without having to rely on internet connection. My 256Gb iPhone will for sure be 100% filled with media :)

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I have the 32GB because I didn't want to give Apple an extra $100. As long as you manage your storage you'll be fine. After your photos get uploaded to Icloud just make sure they are deleted from your device.

Just remember you have to be good at managing your storage if you do get 32GB.

When I delete a photo from my phone I'm not given the option to leave i in iCloud but delete from device . If I hit delete it states it will be deleted from iCloud on all devices.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
When I delete a photo from my phone I'm not given the option to leave i in iCloud but delete from device . If I hit delete it states it will be deleted from iCloud on all devices.

if you enable the optimized option it replaces the ones u barely ever look at etc with LQ versions on your device. I currently have 56 GB of photos in my iCloud Photo Library but since my phone was almost full and i decided to make music available offline through spotify it managed my photos by itself so now my 56 GB of photos only take up 6GB on my iPhone

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Still waiting on my 32GB Matte Black 7+. I based my decision on the S7 Edge I'm using which is 32 GB. I still have 8 GB of space left. I stream most of my music, use the cloud for pics and don't have to many apps. Before this I had the 64GB iPhone 6. I had almost 30 GBs of unused space.

Vcc311

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
Another affordable option that I've found is a USB drive. This is the one I have. I use this between my iPad, phone and iMac so I'm able to move often used files like my artwork between devices. I also keep a nice sized video library on it which I can stream straight from USB drive. Especially handy on road trips when I don't want to stream and waste data. There's also other cool features on the app for the drive like making backups and even downloading straight from YouTube within the app.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Do you absolutely have to have the plus?

Regular 7's seem to be available in all sizes and colors at most places.

To answer your question though: you could probably pull it off but it might be painful.

vasucek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
I'd go bigger considering you're using imovie.

I do use iMovie but its usually just for a short clip so should be enough.

I think you answer your own question, yes you'd like more storage, and most likely will need it, but you can't wait until the larger size becomes available so unfortunately will have to get the smaller and use alternative means for storage.

True, will go for 32 GB and will see how it can handle my needs. If its not enough, I might sell it and switch to 128 GB later.

if you enable the optimized option it replaces the ones u barely ever look at etc with LQ versions on your device. I currently have 56 GB of photos in my iCloud Photo Library but since my phone was almost full and i decided to make music available offline through spotify it managed my photos by itself so now my 56 GB of photos only take up 6GB on my iPhone

That is exactly what I have figured. By enabling the optimized option, it should be OK even with a larger photo library.

Btw. does anyone know how many GB it "removes"? I have read that sometimes half of the library stays on the phone, sometimes only couple of % like in case described above (6GB out of 56GB).

Still waiting on my 32GB Matte Black 7+. I based my decision on the S7 Edge I'm using which is 32 GB. I still have 8 GB of space left. I stream most of my music, use the cloud for pics and don't have to many apps. Before this I had the 64GB iPhone 6. I had almost 30 GBs of unused space.

Thanks a lot. This seems to be similar to my case so hope it will be ok.

Do you absolutely have to have the plus?

Regular 7's seem to be available in all sizes and colors at most places.

To answer your question though: you could probably pull it off but it might be painful.

Yes, I do. Once I am used to Plus, there is no way to get smaller display. I am now having ip 5 as a backup before getting the Plus and its a real pain. Not to mention the battery life which is no sufficient in regular 7.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 603
Sep 27, 2005
You don't say where you live, but what about looking at places like Craigslist or similar? Lots of iPhone 7 Pluses where I live on CL, and sure, you'll pay a hundred or two more than retail, but if you MUST have it, then pay for it and GET IT NOW!

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
Hello, I am not sure if I understand it correctly so I would like to hear someone else's opinion.

I have been using iPhones for ages and started with 16, 32 and ended up last year with 6s Plus 64 GB. Never needed more.

I rarely play any games. I dont watch any movies/series and I dont have any music offline (only couple of playlists on Spotify are downloaded).

What I do is emails, social sites, streaming music, streaming videos, taking a lot of photos and videos and editing videos in iMovie (on iPhone).

When I had 64 GB I had many many apps which I rarely use (just was lazy to delete them) and most of the storage was occupied by photos and videos.

But I recently purchased 200GB of iCloud because it was saying 50GB is full.

And my question is - I dont need all of those photos to be "stored" on my iPhone. What I need is only recent photos and videos lets say from past 3 months (so I am e.g. able to edit video in iMovie from last trip).

Do I understand it correctly that thanks to iCloud I can have access up to 200GB of photos but in iPhone itself, there will be physicly stored only 32GB of them?

I would by 128GB without hesitation, but since its not available (and will be on our market probably in a month) I can not wait and want to pull the trigger for 32GB to have it asap.

I am asking it because dont want to make any mistake. Do I understand correctly how it works? Will I be able to live with 32gb and use it the way described above?

Any feedback/help/opinion will be appreciated and apology for typos or if I dont get it in a correct way. Thank you in advance for your time.

I would stick with the 32gb and upload to iCloud or transfer videos and photos to your computer for extra backup/space. I don't see why people even bother going for 128gb/256gb. Waste of money in my opinion. 32gb should be more than enough if you transfer your files to somewhere else. If it comes to it you can even get an iPhone dongle which you can store files on. But if you have great signal/high data allowance I don't see why you'd need more space on your phone

Surftony

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Quebec, Canada
iMovie uses a lot of space. But if you delete projects as soon as you are done you may be ok. Otherwise, I use iCloud photo library on my ipad pro 32gb and it has been perfect to manage such a small amount of memory. I have 150gb photo library usually using around 15-20gb on device. but when I put some movies before a trip it can shrink to 1-2 gb, that's impressive (of course pictures are not kept in good resolution, but I don't need them at all times anyway)

Also I would say you should consider your internet access. Do you have unlimited plan? Fast and reliable connection? That also has an impact.
I had a 128gb 6s and switched to the 32gb and I let the phone manage itself since launch and I think I will be fine. But instead of having 30-40gb free I will have 2-3. My experience with the iPad convinced me to try it.

Also remember, you have 14 days to bring it back if it doesn't suit your needs.

I chose the 32gb also because i sell my phones every year and with the higher prices I feel like I am losing more money going with higher storage tier. I'm in Canada, it may be different in US.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
iMovie uses a lot of space. But if you delete projects as soon as you are done you may be ok. Otherwise, I use iCloud photo library on my ipad pro 32gb and it has been perfect to manage such a small amount of memory. I have 150gb photo library usually using around 15-20gb on device. but when I put some movies before a trip it can shrink to 1-2 gb, that's impressive (of course pictures are not kept in good resolution, but I don't need them at all times anyway)

Also I would say you should consider your internet access. Do you have unlimited plan? Fast and reliable connection? That also has an impact.
I had a 128gb 6s and switched to the 32gb and I let the phone manage itself since launch and I think I will be fine. But instead of having 30-40gb free I will have 2-3. My experience with the iPad convinced me to try it.

Also remember, you have 14 days to bring it back if it doesn't suit your needs.

I chose the 32gb also because i sell my phones every year and with the higher prices I feel like I am losing more money going with higher storage tier. I'm in Canada, it may be different in US.

I thought photos stayed on the device even if you transfer to the cloud.
[doublepost=1475976114][/doublepost]
I would stick with the 32gb and upload to iCloud or transfer videos and photos to your computer for extra backup/space. I don't see why people even bother going for 128gb/256gb. Waste of money in my opinion. 32gb should be more than enough if you transfer your files to somewhere else. If it comes to it you can even get an iPhone dongle which you can store files on. But if you have great signal/high data allowance I don't see why you'd need more space on your phone

I disagree. I had 64gb with 6s, it was plenty. However that was not an option with the 7 so I went with the 128. Why risk having to choose between an app, movie, picture or TV show.

Surftony

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I thought photos stayed on the device even if you transfer to the cloud.
[doublepost=1475976114][/doublepost]

I disagree. I had 64gb with 6s, it was plenty. However that was not an option with the 7 so I went with the 128. Why risk having to choose between an app, movie, picture or TV show.

Photos stay on the device but they are in very low resolution. I would say around 1mp.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
I still don't understand why people need to have 1000's of videos and photos on their phone like they're going to use them all at the same time. More to the point if you're so big into photography.. Why not buy a professional camera?

Reactions: navier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.