Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I still don't understand why people need to have 1000's of videos and photos on their phone like they're going to use them all at the same time. More to the point if you're so big into photography.. Why not buy a professional camera?

Not everyone is the same. I had to travel for my job, basically 30 hours from start to finish. That space allows me to bring a good assortment entertainment for the trip. In addition, when I got to my location, it allowed me to have stuff to do if there was a lot of down time.

I already said 64gb was more than enough, but Apple removed that option.

mattysmith118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2016
South West Wales
Not everyone is the same. I had to travel for my job, basically 30 hours from start to finish. That space allows me to bring a good assortment entertainment for the trip. In addition, when I got to my location, it allowed me to have stuff to do if there was a lot of down time.

I already said 64gb was more than enough, but Apple removed that option.

I wasn't on about you in particular bud. I was on about a vast majority of people. Claim they're big into photography and have use up like 200gb+ on photos and videos and act like their phone is the only storage device they have lol.

I used to be a video editor in my last job and our storage servers we're only roughly 2TB space. After we produced a video we'd compress it to a smaller size then chuck away the originals and rough copies.

If I was going on a long trip I'd buy a lightning storage device if I was going to watch loads of films. Pointless keeping loads on there if you're only going to watch the film once or twice lol.

Back on topic. @vasucek Have you decided what you're going to do?

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I wasn't on about you in particular bud. I was on about a vast majority of people. Claim they're big into photography and have use up like 200gb+ on photos and videos and act like their phone is the only storage device they have lol.

I used to be a video editor in my last job and our storage servers we're only roughly 2TB space. After we produced a video we'd compress it to a smaller size then chuck away the originals and rough copies.

If I was going on a long trip I'd buy a lightning storage device if I was going to watch loads of films. Pointless keeping loads on there if you're only going to watch the film once or twice lol.

Back on topic. Have you decided what you're going to do?

No worries. I was just giving my opinion.

I already got the 128gb. I am not the OP.

Reactions: mattysmith118

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Lucky! My contract isn't due an upgrade and my GS6E is on its way out after only a year! So back to apple I go. I gone for the same though apart from 32gb!

You happy with your choice or would you change it?
Happy. Fast and smooth. Wife getting plus but on back order till November

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you need to edit on your phone and you're taking video I recommend against 32gb. If you can offload the files (google and Flickr have good free options but max at 1080p) thst would be a better deal in the long run. I personally don't record in 4K. I don't feel it's worth the storage loss even on a 128gb phone. That's going to be completely your call though. Some suggest recording in the highest resolution possible always.

vasucek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
You don't say where you live, but what about looking at places like Craigslist or similar? Lots of iPhone 7 Pluses where I live on CL, and sure, you'll pay a hundred or two more than retail, but if you MUST have it, then pay for it and GET IT NOW!

Yeah, that would be an option, however there is no craiglist or any other similar page in my country. So need to stick with regular APR.

I would stick with the 32gb and upload to iCloud or transfer videos and photos to your computer for extra backup/space. I don't see why people even bother going for 128gb/256gb. Waste of money in my opinion. 32gb should be more than enough if you transfer your files to somewhere else. If it comes to it you can even get an iPhone dongle which you can store files on. But if you have great signal/high data allowance I don't see why you'd need more space on your phone

Thanks a lot. True, thats exactly what I am going to do. Transfer/backup photos somewhere else (I would do it anyway, no matter what storage) and I have great signal/high data allowance, so my problem solved! :)

Also I would say you should consider your internet access. Do you have unlimited plan? Fast and reliable connection? That also has an impact. I chose the 32gb also because i sell my phones every year and with the higher prices I feel like I am losing more money going with higher storage tier.

Great, thank you for valuable insight. I have kind of unlimited plan (GB I have neber been able to use up) and I sell phone every year true, so that is another +"

Back on topic. @vasucek Have you decided what you're going to do?

Yes, based on all answers (thanks a lot everyone again) I will go for 32GB version and I believe it will be OK. To sum up the main reasons below:
  1. I would manage my storage and backup photos/videos to ext. hdd or somewehere else anyway.
  2. It would help me to keep my iP "clean", so no more 100+ apps which I dont use and messy photo galery with old pics I dont even look at.
  3. I have fast/reliable 4G all the time with almost unlimited data, so I dont need to have access to my files offline.
  4. I sell my iPhones every year and with lower storage there will be much better resale value. Higher storage always lose resale value more than the base model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.