Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrwz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Hello Everyone!
I am music composer working in TV and film. I'm writing the music for a documentary and want to use some legacy software which needs to run on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I bought a second hand Mac Pro westmere 2010 which originally shipped with OS 10.6.4
I rather foolishly thought it would be straightforward to restore the machine to its original OS. It's not easy and I consider myself fairly Mac competent having used them for over 20 years.

I own the retail DVD for snow leopard but that's OS 10.6.3 and I can't seem to make that work.
I don't have the original installation DVDs that shipped with the Mac Pro...

I read on another forum re. Mac 1,1 and snow leopard - someone mentioned using terminal to change the date - does anyone know if that might help trick the computer into letting me install 10.6.3 and upgrading to 10.6.8?

Any help would be MOST gratefully accepted. I'm pretty frazzled trying to figure this out.

Cheers

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello Everyone!
I am music composer working in TV and film. I'm writing the music for a documentary and want to use some legacy software which needs to run on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I bought a second hand Mac Pro westmere 2010 which originally shipped with OS 10.6.4
I rather foolishly thought it would be straightforward to restore the machine to its original OS. It's not easy and I consider myself fairly Mac competent having used them for over 20 years.

I own the retail DVD for snow leopard but that's OS 10.6.3 and I can't seem to make that work.
I don't have the original installation DVDs that shipped with the Mac Pro...

I read on another forum re. Mac 1,1 and snow leopard - someone mentioned using terminal to change the date - does anyone know if that might help trick the computer into letting me install 10.6.3 and upgrading to 10.6.8?

Any help would be MOST gratefully accepted. I'm pretty frazzled trying to figure this out.

Cheers
10.6.3 DVD installer won't work at all. Apple only started to support MacPro5,1 with the special build of 10.6.4. You need an older and supported Mac to do it with your DVD.

Changing the date is needed because the signing certificates expired long ago, but that won't matter at all with 10.6.3 and a MacPro5,1, the installer won't even boot.

hrwz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
10.6.3 DVD installer won't work at all. Apple only supports MacPro5,1 with 10.6.4. You need an older and supported Mac to do it with your DVD.

Changing the date is needed because the signing certificates expired long ago, but that won't matter at all with 10.6.3 and a MacPro5,1, the installer won't even boot.
So how do I get 10.6.4 onto the machine?

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Contact Apple and ask for copies of the original Disks that would have shipped with that machine. They will harge you a nominal amount, but at least then you'll have the originals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.