Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
One would think the op was just drive to the lover’s address, since he doesn’t like any of the answers here.

Reactions: boswald

TiredOfThisBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
I just wish that I had known by upgrading to iOS 13 was going to hide/purge that AP’s address. I am going to try to log in on an older device and hopefully that frequent location data pulls down from her Apple account. Once that happens I will still be working how to get the dates from reading “no recent visits”

Last edited by a moderator:

TiredOfThisBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Where did you get that idea?
Because prior to the update, his address information was in the significant/frequent data. All data back until the beginning of 2019 was available, until I updated to iOS 13 in which only the last three months became visible.

Looking at my own phone, I had have data back until 2018 as well, and viewing it on another device with iOS13, it only shows me the last three months. Looking at it on the iOS12 device, the data is still there. Hence, why I dont believe this data is deleted, just not visible to iOS 13. I feel like everyone is overlooking this fact.

And to circle back, this is why I am here. To talk about how frequent locations works and hopefully understand how I can view that data (whether it be plug in an old iPhone 5 with iOS 10 or whatever)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I feel like everyone is overlooking this fact.

No, you're denying reality. I personally gave you several good reasons, and you ignored them all.

I repeat:

1. You're trying to use a system for a purpose other than the one it was designed to be used for.
2. The system in question only captures data that fits within the learned parameters.
3. The system is not infallible: it is very possible for it to "miss" recording location data for any number of reasons (down/weak cell tower, low battery, phone turned off etc.)
4. Only Apple have access to this data. It's encrypted by the OS and not available to other apps.
5. Given points 2. & 3., even IF you got access to the data, you're not going to have anything you want because you can't prove a positive with a negative.

So, why not address each and everyone of these points instead of complaining no-one is helping you.

We're not here to validate your ignorance of the system. You wanted answers, you've been given answers. You not liking said answers notwithstanding, they're still answers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And to circle back, this is why I am here. To talk about how frequent locations works and hopefully understand how I can view that data (whether it be plug in an old iPhone 5 with iOS 10 or whatever)
Seems like bringing up potential context (that probably wasn't really needed in relation to the actual question), including the thread title itself, has largely been throwing things off.

TiredOfThisBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
1. You're trying to use a system for a purpose other than the one it was designed to be used for.
its reading a date. It’s not like I am trying to make a toaster fly. The system shows you the dates of visits, or else it wouldn’t be readable in iOS. I am am not trying to accomplish something that should be dismissed as “well thats not what it’s designed for”. Coke is not designed for removal of corrosion on batteries. But it works. Even that example is more extreme than what I am trying to do.

2. The system in question only captures data that fits within the learned parameters.
The data has been captured, hence why it’s on my ios12 device. the learning parameters are not relevant as the data has already been captured.

3. The system is not infallible: it is very possible for it to "miss" recording location data for any number of reasons (down/weak cell tower, low battery, phone turned off etc.)
I am only asking about the dates that habe already been logged and stored. I am not asking about hypotheticals.

4. Only Apple have access to this data. It's encrypted by the OS and not available to other apps.
No. Users/owners do to, or else you wouldn’t be able to see it stored via iOS on the phone. The OS is obviously decrypting the info for me if I can read it in the iOS interface. I don’t even know what the relevance of this question is on your part.

5. Given points 2. & 3., even IF you got access to the data, you're not going to have anything you want because you can't prove a positive with a negative.
This is not for you to decide. An educated guess is better than a blind guess.
[automerge]1593807206[/automerge]
Seems like bringing up potential context (that probably wasn't really needed in relation to the actual question), including the thread title itself, has largely been throwing things off.
Yes, maybe I should start another thread asking If anyone knows how frequent location logic functions.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

It hasn't been throwing things off. It proves what everybody here is trying to tell him.

The system has been designed using cryptography (e.g. signed code, encryption, hardware key wrapping) to explicitly prevent what the OP is trying to do (along with law enforcement, random people on the street, malicious apps).

And as I pointed out, there's common cryptographic techniques which allow you to store data in a way you can check equality without being able to easily reverse it.

The problem is the OP refuses to understand or accept the power of cryptography.
[automerge]1593808531[/automerge]
No. Users/owners do to, or else you wouldn’t be able to see it stored via iOS on the phone. The OS is obviously decrypting the info for me if I can read it in the iOS interface. I don’t even know what the relevance of this question is on your part.

Perfect example. As we keep explaining to him, every single line of code running on the iPhone must be approved by Apple. He's in denial of this fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

TiredOfThisBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
And yet you hvae avoided the question again and just try to paint me as ignorant. This has just become a personal attack thread with a few expressing their morals vs trying explain to me what and why i am seeing what I am seeing. I think that this is because those users do not understand the processhemselves, which is fine- but should not comment content that in no way helps.

So what you are saying is that when I pick up my phone, MY phone, go to significant locations, I should not be able to read where I have been like I am doing at his very second? This is not one way hashing If I can read this data out of the user interface of iOS. I am not saying all data, just this data that I am looking at.

This questions is about how that FEATURE of iOS works and how it presents the data that it has collected. I am not saying everything is stored, but the data I am looking at win my own two eyes has obviously been stored. What I am telling you is I see the data on one iOS version one way, and I see it differently on the other, but it is the same data

With that being said, if I still see the data on the older iOS model, it obviously has not been removed From the device running iOS13, merely hidden from visibility
[automerge]1593809892[/automerge]
“Perfect example. As we keep explaining to him, every single line of code running on the iPhone must be approved by Apple. He's in denial of this fact.”

I am well aware of what you are saying here. It does not apply to what I am asking. This is not a 3rd party application that i am using to extract data. This is iOS itself, using its own iOS feature to view the data.

• Haha

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
“Perfect example. As we keep explaining to him, every single line of code running on the iPhone must be approved by Apple. He's in denial of this fact.”

I am well aware of what you are saying here. It does not apply to what I am asking. This is not a 3rd party application that i am using to extract data. This is iOS itself, using its own iOS feature to view the data.

You fail to use basic logic that even elementary school kids are taught:

1. Computers only do what the program tells it to do.
2. iOS is only programmed to show certain data.
3. To make it show other data, you need to change the program.
4. You cannot change the program and have it run unless Apple approves it.

I don't see what's difficult to understand. You're expecting us to say "type in a secret code and activate an Apple backdoor". Right.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
MY phone, go to significant locations, I should not be able to read where I have been like I am doing at his very second?

100% correct.

The feature was not designed to keep track of your every move. It's designed to help predict your next locations.

ONLY.
[automerge]1593810939[/automerge]
And yet you hvae avoided the question again and just try to paint me as ignorant. This has just become a personal attack thread with a few expressing their morals vs trying explain to me what and why i am seeing what I am seeing. I think that this is because those users do not understand the processhemselves, which is fine- but should not comment content that in no way helps.

So what you are saying is that when I pick up my phone, MY phone, go to significant locations, I should not be able to read where I have been like I am doing at his very second? This is not one way hashing If I can read this data out of the user interface of iOS. I am not saying all data, just this data that I am looking at.

This questions is about how that FEATURE of iOS works and how it presents the data that it has collected. I am not saying everything is stored, but the data I am looking at win my own two eyes has obviously been stored. What I am telling you is I see the data on one iOS version one way, and I see it differently on the other, but it is the same data

With that being said, if I still see the data on the older iOS model, it obviously has not been removed From the device running iOS13, merely hidden from visibility
[automerge]1593809892[/automerge]

I was at the post office today. I go there at random times to drop mail off. Not one single visit has been logged. Not one.

How many times must we explain this? APPLE controls this data. Not you, not I. Apple. All we can do as users is enable the feature, or purge the data.

And that's it. Listen, you don't believe us, reach out to Apple. I really don't know what you expect anyone to do here.

You've been told by multiple people that you cannot achieve what you want to achieve. Asking again and again won't change the answers.

Accept what we're saying and move on. Or ask Apple: it's their OS.

And quit thinking that just because Apple expose it where they do that it means it's somehow accessible outside of that.

Did you ever stop to think, even just for a moment, just why you're asked to ID yourself before getting at that data?

Last edited:
Reactions: EM2013

TiredOfThisBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
You fail to use basic logic that even elementary school kids are taught:

1. Computers only do what the program tells it to do.
2. iOS is only programmed to show certain data.
3. To make it show other data, you need to change the program.
4. You cannot change the program and have it run unless Apple approves it.

I don't see what's difficult to understand. You're expecting us to say "type in a secret code and activate an Apple backdoor". Right.

1. Correct.
2. Yes, this this this this. I am asking evone here if they are aware of the logic and how it functions. Instead I get condescending remarks like yours.
3. The view can adjust / display different facts based upon the data being parsed, like many computer applications.
4. In this case the program is changing. iOS 13 back to 12. Apple will approve it because it is iOS, and it was written by Apple.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
3. The view can adjust / display different facts based upon the data being parsed, like many computer applications.

And you're sticking to your belief there's some secret backdoor.

4. In this case the program is changing. iOS 13 back to 12. Apple will approve it because it is iOS, and it was written by Apple.

Nope. Cryptographic anti-rollback features. Well known. This site has front-page articles every time it's implemented. Again, refusing to acknowledge cryptography.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I am asking evone here if they are aware of the logic and how it functions. Instead I get condescending remarks like yours.

Apple do. No one else does. Only Apple.

How do you expect anyone here to know how Apple wrote that subsystem? All we can do is apply the knowledge and wisdom of experience in our answers.

You've beaten this horse to death here and yet you still persist. I have to wonder why that is.

You want answers?

ASK APPLE.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

It will logs data of places you frequently visit not everywhere you been. Ex. Home, work, gym, friends.

If you can’t see that data anymore it’s because it was deleted not because of iOS 13, & updating doesn’t delete anything.
I say that because I’ve used significant locations on/off with iOS 13.

When I would I use it I could see the data you’re referring to but once you turn that feature off, all that data is gone. If you turn it back on, it starts learning your frequent locations again.

In any case it’s no longer there & there’s no way of getting it back. Unless you go to the address with the phone & hopes it logs something, there are no other options as stated before.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Moderator Note:

This one is done. Going around in circles with additional off-topic commentary.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.