Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vr3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
Ok where do I begin I got this mac from a friend that upgraded to the new mac pro he said it worked s9 I took his word for it so It home and I get it home All I get is. The flashing folder with the question mark I have tried everything from different operating systems and I don't know what to do please help

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ok where do I begin I got this mac from a friend that upgraded to the new mac pro he said it worked s9 I took his word for it so It home and I get it home All I get is. The flashing folder with the question mark I have tried everything from different operating systems and I don't know what to do please help
Is this a PowerMac G5 or a Mac Pro? If it is a PowerMac G5, the max OS it can run is 10.5.8 Leopard.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The flashing question mark means the system can't find a boot drive. More than likely the Mac has no hard disk and you will need to replace it.

Once you replace it you can only install the minimum or above OS that the Mac will support.

Finally, you should note that you posted in the PowerPC Mac forums. PowerPC Macs are Macs that use the old PowerPC chips and were made before 2007. Anything made after 2006 uses an Intel chip.

Unless you were intentionally trying to get our help because the Intel Mac forums members ran you off?

Reactions: redhatcode29

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
If it isn't booting from its current operating system and you cannot install one, then the hard disk is failed, missing, or the cable is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.