Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
In addition to the suggestions above, I would pick up the Canon 50mm f1.4. It's pretty cheap- in the US it runs for around $50.

The 50mm f1.4 is actually $400. The 50mm f1.8 is the <$90 lens. Just wanted to point it out so others don't get confused.

ft

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hi all been to look at the camera yesterday, however there was no live view (which I thought there was) I'm not sure if I would find this a major issue or not, but I'm going to go and see the Canon 450D see if I think I will need the Live View,

Vel

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Look at the whole system: lens selection (including 3rd party), 3D color metering, "d-lighting" or similar, flash system before settling on a brand just because of live view.

BTW, live view is rather different across models.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Ahh Live view. I can't imagine using that much, maybe if I did much macro work on a tripod. I suppose coming from a compact means you're used to it. I grew up on a pentax ME, and I guess many of the people here used similar film SLRs, to us the viewfinder is second-nature.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I have Live View on my D3. I've never found a use for it. And I have some concerns about powering the sensor for extended periods.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
After going and actually checking out the Canon and having another play with the D80 I don't think I'm going to be bothered that much about using the viewfinder. the canon seemed like a good camera, but I didn't really like where the main button was located and it just didn't feel right. So I'm going to be ordering the D80 in the next week,

Thanks Again For All Your Help Guys

Vel

motownflip

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Great choice. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a dslr. Good luck and post some pics when you can.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Great choice. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a dslr. Good luck and post some pics when you can.

I will, I'll probably buy it at the start of next month when I get paid, best thing to do from my experience is to research on the net what you can afford then go and actually look at all the ones you liked and see which one you prefer then,

Vel

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I will, I'll probably buy it at the start of next month when I get paid, best thing to do from my experience is to research on the net what you can afford then go and actually look at all the ones you liked and see which one you prefer then,

Vel

As far as Live View goes, if you want to stay with an entry-level Canon, you're looking at the XSi or the brand new XS. Basically, the XS is the same as the XSi with a few downgrades (as well as a lower price).

To me, the XSi is a little better than the XTi, while the XS is probably on par with the XTi.

ft

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks for your reply ftaok. However I have decided against the Canon as I didn't really like the feel of it. Also I was playing with the D80 again and don't think live view will be an issue at all. So I've decided to purchase the D80 (in a week or so when I get paid).

Vel

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks for your reply ftaok. However I have decided against the Canon as I didn't really like the feel of it. Also I was playing with the D80 again and don't think live view will be an issue at all. So I've decided to purchase the D80 (in a week or so when I get paid).

Vel

Whoops, I missed that post there. The Nikon D80 is a really nice camera too. My neighbor has one.

The main thing is how it feels in your hands. No one can decide that for you.

Enjoy!

ft

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Don't get me wrong the camera didnt feel bad, but the shutter release button seemed to be in a funny place lol. But after playing with the D80 it seems like a good camera and will have a lot of features which I will be able to utilise after getting used to the camera...plus the girlfriend liked it which is a bonus :D

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hi guys thanks for all your help while I've been trying to decide which body to go for as my first DSLR purchase, however I've been having a quick look on eBay and the D200 seems to be a little bit cheaper than the D80 (and I will still be able to get the 18-200mm VR lens I like the look of). After checking out both spec sheets the D200 seems to be the better camera, but I was just wondering if you guys could possibly shed a bit of light on the main difference between the two that I may have missed,

Thanks again,

Vel

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
Yes, I definitely want a DSLR, I know I won't take it out of the box and be shooting amazing pics straight away, but it's something I'm wanting to spend a lot of time doing. I'm willing/wanting to put in both the time and effort thats needed to learn how to take good photos.

Vel

Yep, then get one. Just a lot of people assume more expensive = better images. Not always true.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
The D200 is old technology, the D80 will have better image quality because the sensor technology is more up to date. Get the D80.

Don

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The D200 is a whole level above the D80. Don't get the latter just because it's a little newer.

Weather sealing, magnesium body, AI lens metering. That is really pro.

Vel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
The D200 is a whole level above the D80. Don't get the latter just because it's a little newer.

Weather sealing, magnesium body, AI lens metering. That is really pro.

Cool guys, looks like the D200 will be the one I'm going to go for :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Make sure the camera is not grey market if you ever want Nikon to touch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.