Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Let's get off of the garbage them shall we. :D

The technical side of your work is great, it's very on point and the post processing is fine.....

Maybe it's just the subject?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think that I will try to take more images using the rule of thirds, and limiting my HDR treatments.

Another exercise you might try would be to shoot a series of photos that each have a clear and particular "subject" (that is, a visual pay-off--something that offers a point of resolution that is not competing with or subordinate to anything else in the frame).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Heh, well what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger, right? ;)

Seriously, if anything shows that you're ready for art school, it's your willingness and ability to take criticism. Art school critiques can be pretty rough, and I've seen some folks really break down when the feedback wasn't all kudos. It's more important to come to art school with "an open cup" than with a polished portfolio, especially at the undergraduate level. You clearly have that open cup; you want to learn and improve yourself and are open to suggestions. Keep it up and you'll go far. :)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well, that's assuming I get accepted :p.

But thanks. I really do think I can improve my photos but simply opening up and listening.

And believe me, I would rather here the words "this sucks" from someone on an internet forum, rather then from the person in charge of my acceptance to art school ;).

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
(sorry for the double post)

Another exercise you might try would be to shoot a series of photos that each have a clear and particular "subject" (that is, a visual pay-off--something that offers a point of resolution that is not competing with or subordinate to anything else in the frame).

That's what I'll be doing this weekend :). There's a large housing development near where I live, and hopefully I'll be able to find some well-composed scenes to take home..

liveexpo

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
'how well a particular image sells'....

I feel we probably have very different styles of photography. Not that either one is better because of that, but we possibly use the medium to achieve different results. Anyways, I've worked in places where we printed large format pieces of 'art' for places like Ikea. Now, some of these images sold in their millions, but I would still fiercely argue whether the images were amazing, which by your outlook would be necessary for them to sell. I believe like any of the arts, certain things sell because the mass markets are told that its the fashion, or the trend....blah blah....with the end result being that what is considered artistic quality is made much more bland and acceptable.

For me, thats not what photography can or should be used for. Ok technically the images were good, but did they have any true meaning under the surface? No. I'd feel a total sell out if I only made images to sell to a mass market.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
'how well a particular image sells'....

Yes, completely ignore
I'm not saying art has to be popular
and
Once again, it doesn't have to be popular to be art

That's helpful to discussion.

I feel we probably have very different styles of photography. Not that either

Photographic style has little to do with the disposition of the end result. Your style is your style if you intend to sell it, show it to nobody or anywhere in between. Granted, you could have a style that wouldn't ever sell an image- but almost everyone measures success in some way- be it popularity, sales, accolades, recogntion or what have you.

one is better because of that, but we possibly use the medium to achieve different results. Anyways, I've worked in places where we printed large format pieces of 'art' for places like Ikea. Now, some of these images sold in their millions, but I would still fiercely argue whether the images were amazing, which by your outlook would be necessary for them to sell. I

Nowhere have I said an image needs to be "amazing" to sell, just that they generally need to follow specific compositional elements to sell well. That's not opinion, that's a fact borne out by observation. Nowhere have I seen any solid counter-examples offered though. Hey, I've even sold images that have had poor compositions, but not many.

believe like any of the arts, certain things sell because the mass markets are told that its the fashion, or the trend....blah blah....with the end result being that what is considered artistic quality is made much more bland and acceptable.

I haven't even limited my points to commercial success, in fact I've probably used regard as much, if not more than commercial success. None of my fine art sales have been because of "fashion" or "trend," but even fashionable or trendy art is perfectly capable of being good art. The Laughing Cavalier is good art, no matter if its popularity waxes or wanes. The Haywain is good art, no matter if its popularity waxes or wanes. For someone who's so vehement about giving lots of art its due, it's a little inconsistent to claim that popular art isn't as artistic as unpopular art.

For me, thats not what photography can or should be used for. Ok technically the images were good, but did they have any true meaning under the surface? No. I'd feel a total sell out if I only made images to sell to a mass market.

Nobody's asking, or even advocating "only making images to sell to a mass market."

The point, which you seem to be able to dance around without offering anyting other than opinion to the contrary is that the generally accepted compositional elements of art apply to well-regarded images, and breaking the "rules" without forethought simply for the sake of breaking them rarely produces art of merit. Furthermore, breaking them without knowing them tends to produce even less images of merit where merit is measured as anything outside of the artist or someone simply being contrary.

Personally, I'd feel a total sell out if I ignored hundreds of years of historical precedent for not good reason than to ignore it.

Hey, you may genuinely feel that every image presented by the OP has the same merit- but I'm going to tell you that in terms of trying to get accepted to art school, if it's between someone showing these images and someone showing work that generally falls in line with normal compositional elements I know which one I'm betting on not making it in.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
So..

I'm back to square 1, pretty much?

If any of you think that one of these photos merit a re-take, tell me..

Otherwise, I'll go out into the world again with all of your wonderful advice in mind and take some (hopefully!) "better" photos.

Thank you all so much for helping me with this.. :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
So..

Otherwise, I'll go out into the world again with all of your wonderful advice in mind and take some (hopefully!) "better" photos.

I hope this isn't getting too frustrating for you. If you've looked at the compositional links in the thread, I think you'll find some useful stuff.

Personally, I'd start with looking for significantly less cluttered subjects. The parking garage had more of a chance there than the dumpsters. I think the foreground with the dumpsters is just too poor for a good shot- though there might be something in the pattern of the dumpsters if you were close in and didn't try to put anything else in the frame.

The juxtaposition you're looking for doesn't happen because you've got a subject- the dumpsters, and a background- the trees. You need more than one subject to juxtapose and I don't see where you get that given the position of the dumpsters.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So..

I would say that you have a wonderful opportunity, to have so much garbage around you that is just sitting there waiting for some creative shooter (yourself) to come along and capture it in an interesting way.

Now, that "interesting way" is up for you to decide and form in your mind and in the field. I say grab a cute girl or some really cut guy, put them in costume and go to town on that wonderful world of props that you do have.

Or pick one noticeable piece of something as your subject and (something really noticeable that can be the center of interest) shoot that with interesting lighting, at dusk, or dawn, or with your human subject holding the piece or doing something with it.

Grab someone put them in the scene with a sledge hammer or something.

I do take back what I say about completely leaving the garbage alone.... but you can put something in the shot as the center of focus. Take your time with it too. No shooter gets the wow shot in a day or a week, some take months on one themed shoot.

And as was said, you'll do fine in art school if you can take our "who the hell are we anyway!" criticism so civilly. You're off to a good start.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Well, that's assuming I get accepted :p.

But thanks. I really do think I can improve my photos but simply opening up and listening.

And believe me, I would rather here the words "this sucks" from someone on an internet forum, rather then from the person in charge of my acceptance to art school ;).

I'd be looking for something more constructive than "this sucks" if it was negative criticism. I'd want an explanation why.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I once had a professor who would say, "You know the image is right when you feel as though you could neither add anything nor take anything away to make it any better."

If you get one of those in the next round or two, I hope you'll share it with it us. :)

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I hope this isn't getting too frustrating for you. If you've looked at the compositional links in the thread, I think you'll find some useful stuff.

Personally, I'd start with looking for significantly less cluttered subjects. The parking garage had more of a chance there than the dumpsters. I think the foreground with the dumpsters is just too poor for a good shot- though there might be something in the pattern of the dumpsters if you were close in and didn't try to put anything else in the frame.

The juxtaposition you're looking for doesn't happen because you've got a subject- the dumpsters, and a background- the trees. You need more than one subject to juxtapose and I don't see where you get that given the position of the dumpsters.

Don't worry, I think it would take a bit more then a few bad photos to frustrate me :). Also, I took a look at all of the links you provided and was amazed at how helpful they were. I found them all really helpful - especially the last one, with the mouse-over diagrams.. The rule of thirds is coming back into my photos, I'm pleased to say..

Also, here are the detail shots I talked about earlier... Opinions anyone? I'm not sure if the blue is too overpowering or not...

20080502-kfm5pwqnx5m1w2h56isfnsf96y.jpg

20080502-rg7bu5f7cp8yf8s315rqmxjqfx.jpg

20080502-bidj14n2mup42femipmuaa6s3j.jpg

20080502-g9i5xfwdwb8r7kr4sdejgnewa9.jpg

@Digital Skunk:

I completely agree! I'm definitely lucky to live in such proximity to such an abundant (and photogenic) environment...

I'll also follow up your advice for a re-shoot. Next weekend - weather permitting - I'll get one or two of my good friends and we'll go out to the garbage heaps for some more shots. I'll see if I can't find some interesting scenes to fabricate...

Crackedbutter - I was making a quick generalization.. I wasn't equating the criticism I received here with any kind of derogatory commentary.. if anything, it was incredibly helpful. However, I think you know what I meant when I said that earlier.

And Phrasikleia, I will definitely post my "Mark II" :)p) photos (probably on a new thread) after having accrued enough for a consistent and thematically linked portfolio. I will also keep your advice in mind when I take them..

Anyways, it's now the weekend, and hopefully I'll be able to get some good photos Saturday and Sunday. My art teacher lent me his Nikon D40 (Which is a step up from my 4 year old point and shoot :p) and the weather forecast looks nice. Thank you all once again for your helpful criticism.. I feel like I've learned a ton already :)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Crackedbutter - I was making a quick generalization.. I wasn't equating the criticism I received here with any kind of derogatory commentary.. if anything, it was incredibly helpful. However, I think you know what I meant when I said that earlier.

I didn't think you were equating the criticism here with any kind of derogatory commentary. I think you've been very lucky so far with the kind of input here and no I didn't know how you meant it when you said it earlier either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.