Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
I meant AT&T, and yea I know they are the only ones who can unlock it aside from premium 3rd party services.
When you bought the phone, was it advertised as refurbished unlocked phone or a refurbished phone locked to AT&T?

Reactions: amyangel

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
When you bought the phone, was it advertised as refurbished unlocked phone or a refurbished phone locked to AT&T?

It said Refurbished AT&T iphone did not say unlocked. I have since also submitted receipts to AT&T as well from my original purchase. As i noted, i have also asked Walmart for an official letter as well as back up. Over the last almost 2 years I have not needed to travel abroad, so now because I do, I had requested to have it unlocked.

I have tried other people's suggestions and look forward to getting feedback from the FCC and BBB regarding my case. As it is noted on record by AT&T that my account is in good standing and no reason to stop me from having the device unlocked. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: LoliS

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
It said Refurbished AT&T iphone did not say unlocked. I have since also submitted receipts to AT&T as well from my original purchase. As i noted, i have also asked Walmart for an official letter as well as back up. Over the last almost 2 years I have not needed to travel abroad, so now because I do, I had requested to have it unlocked.

I have tried other people's suggestions and look forward to getting feedback from the FCC and BBB regarding my case. As it is noted on record by AT&T that my account is in good standing and no reason to stop me from having the device unlocked. We'll see what happens.
The FCC complaint will likely work. In the future if you are going to pay full retail for a new or refurbished phone, only buy the unlocked models.

Reactions: amyangel

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
The FCC complaint will likely work. In the future if you are going to pay full retail for a new or refurbished phone, only buy the unlocked models.

I agree it's definitely a lesson learned about refurbished phones even from a legitimate seller. Unlocked whether new or used is prob the best option going forward. Thanks

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Take a look at this, no where does it say the phone is locked to Boost Mobile. I just happen to be a phone geek and know it's locked for one full year of service. Furthermore if you stop service before the year you have to start all over again. That's some BS! I'm tired of these carriers and distributors playing word games.www.boostmobile.com/?aitrk=bm-phpl&teng=go&geng=bpmip05&aeng=adbpmip05_ETA_03&beng=b&deng=m&keng=boost%20mobile%20iphone%206s&meng=e&peng=1t1&ieng=41341416233&kieng=kwd-87961687315&ECID=PPC_ai:g_cmpid:755596501_adgid:41341416233_adid:186500373971_tgtid:boost%20mobile%20iphone%206s_device:m&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brandphones/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-6s/features

Last edited:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Take a look at this, no where does it say the phone is locked to Boost Mobile. I just happen to be a phone geek and know it's locked for one full year of service. Furthermore if you stop service before the year you have to start all over again. That's some BS! I'm tired of these carriers and distributors playing word games.www.boostmobile.com/?aitrk=bm-phpl&teng=go&geng=bpmip05&aeng=adbpmip05_ETA_03&beng=b&deng=m&keng=boost%20mobile%20iphone%206s&meng=e&peng=1t1&ieng=41341416233&kieng=kwd-87961687315&ECID=PPC_ai:g_cmpid:755596501_adgid:41341416233_adid:186500373971_tgtid:boost%20mobile%20iphone%206s_device:m&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brandphones/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-6s/features

Yep. You're the only phone geek on this forum. :D

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Wow, two whole pages of "yes it is", "no it's not". "I'm right and you are wrong". Good lord!

My question is they say you are not on contract, but ATT can't unlock the phone. If the phone was previously registered, have you asked ATT when it will be unlockable? Sounds like you are close to owning the phone for almost two years. Even if the phone itself was "in contract" with someone else wouldn't you be able to unlock it anyways after two years?

Again I was told by a big corporate giant there was nothing they could do to fix my problem, but after a small claims suit it was all fixed within a week. Go to your local courthouse and file the suit. Maybe $40 and a couple hours of time. Fill out the paperwork. Next time you are on the phone with ATT ask for the name and address of their agent for service. Mail it certified and wait for the call.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
If the phone was previously registered, have you asked ATT when it will be unlockable?
Did you not read what OP wrote? OP knows when the phone is unlockable - June of 2017.
[doublepost=1490126096][/doublepost]
Again I was told by a big corporate giant there was nothing they could do to fix my problem, but after a small claims suit it was all fixed within a week. Go to your local courthouse and file the suit. Maybe $40 and a couple hours of time.
Some people get paid more for their time than that would be worth. The FCC is the way to go.

And OP doesn't have a case against AT&T anyhow since they bought the phone locked to AT&T. They should have bought an unlocked phone if that was what they wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Did you not read what OP wrote? OP knows when the phone is unlockable - June of 2017.
[doublepost=1490126096][/doublepost]Some people get paid more for their time than that would be worth. The FCC is the way to go.

And OP doesn't have a case against AT&T anyhow since they bought the phone locked to AT&T. They should have bought an unlocked phone if that was what they wanted.

My apologies for missing that information. From what I read it was purchased in June 2015, I did not see any info about contracts. Had trouble deciphering all the info from all the arguing about nonsense.

As far as not worth your time, It would probably take less of the ops time to file suit than it would to read, discuss, and argue about it here or on the phone with ATT or Walmart.

FCC, small claims, the BBB, all workable ideas. If you have never had to deal with a corporation in this manner, you would not understand.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
It would probably take less of the ops time to file suit than it would to read, discuss, and argue about it here or on the phone with ATT or Walmart.
We are phone enthusiasts here. Reading and posting here is a hobby for us. It would take less time for people to file suit than it would to play a round of golf, too yet I see a lot more people playing golf than I do suing AT&T to get their phones unlocked.

Regardless, OP would lose the case so it would be not only a waste of time, but a waste of money.

Like I said before, the FCC is the way to go.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
We are phone enthusiasts here. Reading and posting here is a hobby for us. It would take less time for people to file suit than it would to play a round of golf, too yet I see a lot more people playing golf than I do suing AT&T to get their phones unlocked.

Regardless, OP would lose the case so it would be not only a waste of time, but a waste of money.

Like I said before, the FCC is the way to go.

Please tell me what the FCC could do for the op?

Btw, my suit never went to court. Was settled on the phone with the company legal department, and they even paid me for my time dealing with the matter.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
Please tell me what the FCC could do for the op?
They forward your complaint to AT&T legal department who then forwards it to dispute resolution. Rather than take the time to respond to the FCC, which they are required to by law if they don't resolve the dispute in your favor, they unlock your phone. Done. Get back to work/fun/family.

I am not saying that would be the outcome if someone was not entitled to an unlock but in this situation, yeah, they will unlock OP's phone.

Reactions: bopajuice

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Update I just got and I am amazed.

A gentleman from AT&T called me regarding the BBB case I initiated 2 days ago, he looked up the IMEI number on the iphone 6 without me asking and after a few minutes, he said done. I was dumbfounded by how quickly it happened. I had told him I really wish it wouldn't have even elevated to this level to begin with but I am glad to have gotten it resolved.

Now to go home and actually do a restoration on the phone in itunes and see if it unlocks.

I will post if it is indeed successful but glad one of the two methods worked to get a response.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

A gentleman from AT&T called me regarding the BBB case I initiated 2 days ago, he looked up the IMEI number on the iphone 6 without me asking and after a few minutes, he said done. I was dumbfounded by how quickly it happened. I had told him I really wish it wouldn't have even elevated to this level to begin with but I am glad to have gotten it resolved.

Now to go home and actually do a restoration on the phone in itunes and see if it unlocks.

I will post if it is indeed successful but glad one of the two methods worked to get a response.

I'm shocked anyone cares about BBB anymore...

Well done, glad it eventually worked out for you.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Congrats. Good on you for being persistent.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
In most cases it's not even necessary to restore anymore. I'd just swap the SIM and see if it works.
I will try that first.
Thanks
[doublepost=1490315037][/doublepost]
Huh,...so you didn't have to get the FCC involved, and as it turns out ATT was able to unlock it. Who would have thought?!?

I actually did file with both, however; the BBB case probably forwarded to AT&T before the FCC did. I'm sure I will eventually get a call from AT&T for the FCC one too or they will mark as resolved.

Reactions: Stevessvt

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Congrats Amy.
AT&T should have done the right thing in the first place instead of putting you through hell and playing games back and forth. But that's what they do to everyone lately.
Glad the bbb helped you out in getting it resolved. That's why I told you last week to stop wasting your time calling AT&T useless reps and go straight to filing complains and they will resolve the situation.

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
They unlocked my 6s a month ago that I bought last year from Craigslist. It was under the att next program when I got it and I use it on cricket which att owns. I guess the guy I got it from paid it off. He said when I bought it he always paid his bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.