Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Great! Can't wait to see them. It's always good to be excited and passionate about what you want to do... hope it all works out for you.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
thank you thank you. I cant wait to get home from work and up load some of the shots to see what you guys think.

OK, here is another "pro" issue you will need to sort out first.

Do you have permission to upload the photos? Depending on the circumstances of the situation the copyright could be held by a) you b) the studio c) the models.

Next, did the models sign releases allowing their images to be used? If not, you could be in for a civil litigation. Are the models of age to be signing contracts in their own right, or do they need their parent/legal guardian to sign the model release (a contract)?

These are not your friends, and Mac Rumours is not a semi-private social network. Now that you are a "pro" you need to be acutely aware of what rights you may or may not have to any images that you take....

Welcome to the world of professional photography. :p

And congratulations on the job prospects.... :D

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
OK, here is another "pro" issue you will need to sort out first.

Do you have permission to upload the photos? Depending on the circumstances of the situation the copyright could be held by a) you b) the studio c) the models.

Next, did the models sign releases allowing their images to be used? If not, you could be in for a civil litigation. Are the models of age to be signing contracts in their own right, or do they need their parent/legal guardian to sign the model release (a contract)?

These are not your friends, and Mac Rumours is not a semi-private social network. Now that you are a "pro" you need to be acutely aware of what rights you may or may not have to any images that you take....

Welcome to the world of professional photography. :p

And congratulations on the job prospects.... :D

Thanks,

The model i used for the shots was a close friend of mine. She is over the age of 18 but the studio did not ask her to sign any papers. As far as the copyright goes I'm really not sure. And Im most definitly not a professional, i didn't get the job totally yet i have another shoot tomorrow. As for now I'm just a decently experienced student who has much to learn and cannot wait!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks,

The model i used for the shots was a close friend of mine. She is over the age of 18 but the studio did not ask her to sign any papers. As far as the copyright goes I'm really not sure. And Im most definitly not a professional, i didn't get the job totally yet i have another shoot tomorrow. As for now I'm just a decently experienced student who has much to learn and cannot wait!

With an attitude like that, I think you're going to do all right. You need both the enthusiasm and confidence to take on projects that are outside your comfort zone, and the self-awareness that no matter how much you know - there is always more to learn.

There are some very good sources on the 'net for photographers - Mac Rumours isn't one of them. The name of this site is a bit of a clue.

Figure out copyright, licensing of images, model releases, etc. soon as you can. Not such a good school if this topic wasn't covered (or perhaps someone slept through that class? ;) ). For a photographer what you can do with your images in the future is critical. Your images are your inventory. Get advice from actual lawyers - there are some sites on the web aimed at pros that have good advice. Photographers are not lawyers, and very often don't understand the law.... or are still using advice that was relevant 20 years ago.

And lastly - start and use a robust backup system for your digital files and get your equipment insured properly

For future posts, here or on photo specific sites.... it's better to ask very specific questions to start with. In my experience pro shooters can very generous with their time. We all remember when we were being helped by the veterans. But we like to see that you've done some of the work yourself.

Good Luck

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
With an attitude like that, I think you're going to do all right. You need both the enthusiasm and confidence to take on projects that are outside your comfort zone, and the self-awareness that no matter how much you know - there is always more to learn.

There are some very good sources on the 'net for photographers - Mac Rumours isn't one of them. The name of this site is a bit of a clue.

Figure out copyright, licensing of images, model releases, etc. soon as you can. Not such a good school if this topic wasn't covered (or perhaps someone slept through that class? ;) ). For a photographer what you can do with your images in the future is critical. Your images are your inventory. Get advice from actual lawyers - there are some sites on the web aimed at pros that have good advice. Photographers are not lawyers, and very often don't understand the law.... or are still using advice that was relevant 20 years ago.

And lastly - start and use a robust backup system for your digital files and get your equipment insured properly

For future posts, here or on photo specific sites.... it's better to ask very specific questions to start with. In my experience pro shooters can very generous with their time. We all remember when we were being helped by the veterans. But we like to see that you've done some of the work yourself.

Good Luck

Yes i agree with you 100%. I already have all of my pictures backed up on an external HDD.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Yes i agree with you 100%. I already have all of my pictures backed up on an external HDD.

And if your house burns down, falls down, has a flood, gets hit by lightening, gets robbed, has a pipe burst in the ceiling above your computer, gets firebombed because the your address is mistaken for a gang leader's, OR your computer is seized by the police because your wifi signal was hijacked by a nefarious neighbour, your system is seized by baliffs (sheriffs) for a) non-payment of student loans b) your assets are encumbered due to a i) disgruntled business partner ii) disgruntled non-business partner, iii) disgruntled business partner of your neighbour who gets the address wrong, ....

.... your backed up images (your business inventory), your business papers, your client list, etc are of course protected from the same event?

Right?

Addendum: To be fair, this is (mostly) a case of "Do as I Say, Not as I Do."

I have read about a group of friends/photographers who established careers on different continents. On a monthly basis they each ship an external HD with their images to a friend off-shore, in a daisy-chain. This is on top of a very very robust back up system. By sending their images across the water, they are ensuring that in the event of a continental wide disaster, their images will still survive. I hope that their images are worth this effort.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
And if your house burns down, falls down, has a flood, gets hit by lightening, gets robbed, has a pipe burst in the ceiling above your computer, gets firebombed because the your address is mistaken for a gang leader's, OR your computer is seized by the police because your wifi signal was hijacked by a nefarious neighbour, your system is seized by baliffs (sheriffs) for a) non-payment of student loans b) your assets are encumbered due to a i) disgruntled business partner ii) disgruntled non-business partner, iii) disgruntled business partner of your neighbour who gets the address wrong, ....

.... your backed up images (your business inventory), your business papers, your client list, etc are of course protected from the same event?

Right?

I have read about a group of friends/photographers who established careers on different continents. On a monthly basis they each ship an external HD with their images to a friend off-shore, in a daisy-chain. This is on top of a very very robust back up system. By sending their images across the water, they are ensuring that in the event of a continental wide disaster, their images will still survive. I hope that their images are worth this effort.

Exactly, an external HD isn't enough. I use a combination of Dropbox (free up to 2GB of space), 200GB of space on Google, and external HDs and I'm not a professional. I'm just someone who works with computers and it isn't if something will fail, but when and I don't want to ever lose my pics or other important files.

*Edit*
Just give you an example of what I do for work files? They are checked into a source control system that is then backed up nightly to tape and monthly tapes are shipped offsite to safety deposit box. As a professional you always have to think about the worst case scenario and balance that against the cost of doing the redundancy versus the cost of losing everything. A simple solution using a combination of local external HDs and dropbox shouldn't cost you very much and give you most of the redundancy you need.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey

Right?

This is very true. I never thought of it like that and i really like the idea. How do i go about storing my stuff where it cant be harmed? Like online through google?.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
This is very true. I never thought of it like that and i really like the idea. How do i go about storing my stuff where it cant be harmed? Like online through google?.

No disrespect intended, but what did they teach you at that school?

Google is one way, Dropbox, Mozy, etc are another way. Using Apple's MobileMe is another.

The other way to go is to have a pair of external HDs. Weekly, or so, you take the current backup to an offsite location - your parents place, a bank safety deposit box, etc - and exchange it with the HD that had been stored there for the week. You bring the 2nd HD back to your system and start using it for backup that week. Bear in mind that if the offsite location is robbed, then all your images are potentially in the hands of someone else. You may end up seeing your images appearing all over the place - with someone else's name under them.

This ensures that in theory you always have 2 copies of important files. Soon you will get paranoid and realize that your images are pretty valuable, so you will always want 3, 4, or 5 copies of your images - scattered far and wide. So you might use a daisy chain of HDs, plus an online service, plus CD/DVDs. The problem with making weekly copies of digital files is that if one of those files becomes corrupted, you are merely copying a broken image over and over. It creates a false sense of security.

So, at some point you will then start to think about archiving. This creates a backup of your images that does not get overwritten. Backups are copies of what is on your system drive now. Images that are on your system drive are always immediately available. Archives are meant to be a snapshot of what was on your system drive at some point in the past. Hopefully before that important image file was corrupted.

Once an image is archived (in 2 or 5 different places) you might then consider deleting if from your main system. At some point you will have so many images, and some of them will be so old, that you will do this to save space. You would then head back to the archives to find one of those older images.

Managing archives and libraries can be a major endeavour, and it is better to get it organized early. Going through 10,000 images and keywording them for the first time is a huge project.

At this point you may be thinking... when do I actually get to take pictures? Welcome to the world of professional photography. Between managing your image library, doing the company books, marketing your business, doing the government paperwork, etc there isn't nearly as much camera time as we would like some weeks. Sigh.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
No disrespect intended, but what did they teach you at that school?

Google is one way, Dropbox, Mozy, etc are another way. Using Apple's MobileMe is another.

The other way to go is to have a pair of external HDs. Weekly, or so, you take the current backup to an offsite location - your parents place, a bank safety deposit box, etc - and exchange it with the HD that had been stored there for the week. You bring the 2nd HD back to your system and start using it for backup that week. Bear in mind that if the offsite location is robbed, then all your images are potentially in the hands of someone else. You may end up seeing your images appearing all over the place - with someone else's name under them.

This ensures that in theory you always have 2 copies of important files. Soon you will get paranoid and realize that your images are pretty valuable, so you will always want 3, 4, or 5 copies of your images - scattered far and wide. So you might use a daisy chain of HDs, plus an online service, plus CD/DVDs. The problem with making weekly copies of digital files is that if one of those files becomes corrupted, you are merely copying a broken image over and over. It creates a false sense of security.

So, at some point you will then start to think about archiving. This creates a backup of your images that does not get overwritten. Backups are copies of what is on your system drive now. Images that are on your system drive are always immediately available. Archives are meant to be a snapshot of what was on your system drive at some point in the past. Hopefully before that important image file was corrupted.

Once an image is archived (in 2 or 5 different places) you might then consider deleting if from your main system. At some point you will have so many images, and some of them will be so old, that you will do this to save space. You would then head back to the archives to find one of those older images.

Managing archives and libraries can be a major endeavour, and it is better to get it organized early. Going through 10,000 images and keywording them for the first time is a huge project.

At this point you may be thinking... when do I actually get to take pictures? Welcome to the world of professional photography. Between managing your image library, doing the company books, marketing your business, doing the government paperwork, etc there isn't nearly as much camera time as we would like some weeks. Sigh.

No offense taken what-so ever. I only attended Drexel for about 2 months. I hated the school and the photo program i really was not a fan of. It was really more of photography as an art form, and to be honest iv learned more in my community college program in 1 one month then i did at Drexel in 2 months. I have already transported my images to an external HDD but have been considering picking up and extra TB HDD. I have like next to no space on my laptop now all these RAW images add up and boy am i lacking room now too. I appreciate all the help you have given me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.