Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
You’re right. It’s there.. without a button to show it’s there.

I’m developing a 3-2 formula :D in which for 10 months there will be 6 months Netflix free and 4 months full of Netflix binge watchings. Now the saved money can go to some News+ and Arcade.

PIP doesn’t have an icon in iOS. I subscribe one service a month at a time.

Well that’s not exactly true. It’s just not used frequently in apps. I don’t know why that is. I guess most just rely on app switching or going to the home screen.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Is news+ and arcade ever going to reach u.k. or European shores.
I love my constantly evolving news on a daily basis.

I believe Arcade will. Apple doesn’t have to deal with big content owners so I can see it’s launched worldwide or almost worldwide.

Reactions: Donfor39

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I have just tried it now. I selected the Apple TV from the Airplay icon in the controls of my iPhone:
upload_2019-4-7_11-4-38.jpeg

and played a trailer. It sent it to the Apple TV. But I had issues in the past when trying to Google Cast Netflix from an Android phone to my Bravia with Android TV. It basically launched the Netflix app on the TV, getting stuck. Now I have even disabled that app (every little bit of CPU saved helps...) and it won't work at all.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
“We want to make sure our members have a great Netflix experience on any device they use. With AirPlay support rolling out to third-party devices, there isn't a way for us to distinguish between devices (what is an Apple TV vs. what isn't) or certify these experiences," it said in a statement.

"Therefore, we have decided to discontinue Netflix AirPlay support to ensure our standard of quality for viewing is being met. Members can continue to access Netflix on the built-in app across Apple TV and other devices."

https://apple.news/AmNpHvPWuSAG_sMT5MyZdMA

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Services just want to control. and we're probably getting thee slowly... Youtube already prevents certain videos and different search results to appear on desktop and Apple TV.

Next it will be Airplay.... You could argue its part of iOS devices,as a convenient way, but I don't reckon they would care.

It's "more" convenient to watch it directly. Airplay is just an "in-between-er", and probably not enough to convince Netflix to leave it supported in their app

Apple would always support it, because they make the product.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple is permitting 3rd party manufacturers to use the AirPlay protocol however they are not allowing Netflix to access for altercations they need to block their service for non netflix certified devices. This is obviously a problem for them. If they can't control where their material goes they can't control the majority of their business model.

This is something Apple and Netflix might be able to work out eventually.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Netflix is basically on every tv and device that connects to a tv. So really no need for AirPlay IMHO.

Only true for smart TVs, and we have 5 TVs in our house, and not one of them is smart. We have ATVs connected to 2 of those 5 (the main theater room and our master bedroom), because those are the only ones we want to be able to Airplay to. So, for us at least, still a need for Airplay.

And, no, we're not paranoid about Big Brother getting our data, it's just so many TV makers can be flaky about updating their built-in apps, or just pulling that support altogether, that it just hasn't been worth the trouble for us.

Now, I'm hoping these new 2019 LG OLEDs will be the ones to finally sway me...:)

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Only true for smart TVs, and we have 5 TVs in our house, and not one of them is smart. We have ATVs connected to 2 of those 5 (the main theater room and our master bedroom), because those are the only ones we want to be able to Airplay to. So, for us at least, still a need for Airplay.

And, no, we're not paranoid about Big Brother getting our data, it's just so many TV makers can be flaky about updating their built-in apps, or just pulling that support altogether, that it just hasn't been worth the trouble for us.

Now, I'm hoping these new 2019 LG OLEDs will be the ones to finally sway me...:)
But if you have the Apple TV connected, you have the Netflix app, regardless of what version of Apple TV you have.

Still not seeing the need to be able to AirPlay Netflix...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
But if you have the Apple TV connected, you have the Netflix app, regardless of what version of Apple TV you have.

It's ok. It's never been a need for us to Airplay Netflix. It's been a need to Airplay Youtube, ever since Google stopped supporting the YT App on our 2nd Gen ATV.

Sincere apologies for any confusion.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania

Because sometimes it's easier, faster and more convenient to use the iOS app's user interface for browsing through movies, or for searching for a movie, rather than the awkward, hard to control touch pad of Apple TV's remote. I wish Apple offered a normal remote control, like Amazon's, having normal buttons instead of that stupid touch gizmo.
We used to use a Chromecast until recently, and my wife had gotten used to casting Netflix from her iPad. Now I'm having a hard time trying to convince her that the Apple TV is better, because she finds the Apple TV remote clumsy and slow in comparison to the iOS app interface - and she's right, I can't argue with that. :oops:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I wish Apple offered a normal remote control, like Amazon's, having normal buttons instead of that stupid touch gizmo.
No need to use that stupid touch gizmo if you don’t want to as you can use any remote control you like.
You can use the TV remote if you have HDMI CEC enabled on your TV or just use the learning function on any other spare remote you have laying around.
Obviously you won’t be able to use Siri with it but at least it solves the issue about not having having normal buttons.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that.
But still, that's not really a match for the iOS app as far as speed and ease of use are concerned. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of convenience for the sake of an Apple-only household, but my wife, who's more rational and wouldn't mind mixing brands and ecosystems as long as they worked, keeps complaining about her ruined experience. And I can't blame her - she's got a point.

Later edit: I've just discovered something else. On the Apple TV it's impossible to choose the subtitles while watching a movie, like you can in the mobile app. The only way seems to be to set it globally, in the Apple TV's main settings menu. But that menu has a global effect. It affects all apps.
I want Netflix to be set to Romanian subtitles, because Netflix supports Romanian. But Prime Video doesn't. So in Prime Video I must select English, because Romanian will not work and will result in no subtitles at all. If I choose English, then Netflix will switch to English as well.
In iOS, on the other hand, the subtitles are set at app level. You can have Romanian in Netflix and English in Prime Video. Everything's perfect. This makes my wife more determined to hate the Apple TV, and my task of winning her over even more difficult.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.