Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fusionid

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
There is nothing Intel related in Fusion. You are probably confusing it with Intel Turbo memory or Smart Response which is a completely different thing.

Fusion It is 100% software solution powered by Core Storage LVM layer in macOS. If anything it is similar tech to lvmcache or bcache in Linux.

thanks you are correct. Somehow I got them confused 5 years ago. Corrected my post.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
The 5K iMac is a beautiful machine. Greatest desktop ever made.

Well the GPU is beyond dated. And frankly today Apple could easily manage to get a Desktop GPU of the current gen into an iMac. Or at least a GTX 1080M which would still be 3-4x faster than the best gpu the iMac has to offer.

Apart from that I agree its good, if you don't need Pro or Prosumer CPU.

For me, I gladly sold mine for a PC, Didn't want Apple to dictate what outdated hardware I had to use. And, mostly because a all-in-one isnt a great solution for a professional machine, especially in a country where there's no apple stores and repair can take 2 weeks. Not when so many screens, including one of my own got image retention.

Honestly if you only look at the design, which I agree has been the leading edge of All-in-ones....I personally think the Microsoft Studio feels more next gen than the iMac in design and usability.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well the GPU is beyond dated. And frankly today Apple could easily manage to get a Desktop GPU of the current gen into an iMac. Or at least a GTX 1080M which would still be 3-4x faster than the best gpu the iMac has to offer.
If you're looking at the specs, there are other computers out there that have better components, but I do think its a great computer.

Reactions: varian55zx

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
If you're looking at the specs, there are other computers out there that have better components, but I do think its a great computer.

Of course, if your demand doesn't need anything beyond what the iMac can offer, and you have the extra buck for the apple brand, it's a great computer. I was very happy with my iMac, except some lack of performance (throttling and overheat), games and some of the software I use more and more that is Windows only....all of this made a new Windows machine a better option for me. And, I think actually the fan noise and overheat bugged me the most overall, doing rendering and such made my machine noisy and useless while working.... But if none of those apply and you can snort out 4000 USD then its a nice machine.

But, Apples negligence to touch on OSX, claiming its a useless feature and the fact that the iMac hasn't had any design improvements in a decade, isnt great just because it allready has a nice design...imo. The aluminum minimalism is nice, the machine still looks good. But the lack of ergonomic features, noisy on high rpm and under powered fans, the problematic input on the backside, and lack of touch is in my opinion things the iMac can improve on. Especially since I'm a professional artist, touch and pen capabilities is something I think would be useful.

Reactions: Lankyman

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
Of course, if your demand doesn't need anything beyond what the iMac can offer
I never raised that it was the "top performing" computer.

I think I just said it's the "greatest", which I still believe.

But I fall into the category of people where my use doesn't exceed the specs. I haven't opened Photoshop once. I have the top end model, and I've only used it to browse the web, check mail, and manage my media library. If you are using it for that, yes I'd say it's the greatest machine there is.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I never raised that it was the "top performing" computer.

I think I just said it's the "greatest", which I still believe.

But I fall into the category of people where my use doesn't exceed the specs. I haven't opened Photoshop once. I have the top end model, and I've only used it to browse the web, check mail, and manage my media library. If you are using it for that, yes I'd say it's the greatest machine there is.

Blimey, my S7 can do that. Does this make the S7 the greatest phone ever? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.