Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
'Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi or watching video' -Apple
That's not a 'full day' battery life if you are doing more professional work like video editing and music creation.

Nobody is saying they want a device to last 'an entire week'. It would be amazing if you could do some actual mid to high-performance work for the entire duration of a plane flight or places without available outlets to use.

Nobody asked for the iPad Pros to be thinner. They're already comfortable to hold at the previous thickness. An extra 2-3 hours of battery life would've been more welcomed and a good selling point.

Like the previous person suggested: vote with your wallet.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
If I'm understanding this right, they made the batteries larger to keep battery life up. What's to be mad about?
I'd rather they keep the form factor and increase the battery size even more for 12 hrs uptime...

The obsession with thinness might make this the next bendgate...

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

simon3163

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
I’d prefer old thickness. Nobody cares.. but double the battery life. Everyone cares…

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 11.47.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 11.47.55 AM.png
    447.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: ignatius345

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
What did you do to get that many hours?

Also the iPad Pro 11" in the past few generations have proven to be more battery optimized than the 12.9". The 11" usually outlast the 12.9" despite the 12.9" having a significantly bigger battery.

I hope that the new 13" will have a longer battery life than the 11" considering they have the same display tech now.

Also I am planning on using the M4 iPad leisurely so I hope I get 10hrs+ on cellular. From what I heard the old 12.9 have really bad battery life even with light load.

Ah the glorious TN panel.

I doubt it will be better. It will probably have similar battery life to your M2 IPP.
I use Procreate to take notes. Write and edit with the Pencil.

dj8154

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
I’d rather have lighter iPad than having unneccesary longer battery life. 10 hours more tban enough.

Reactions: Tagbert

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
About 14 years of technological advancements throughout this entire product line. Still can't get more battery life 🤦‍♂️
At this point, it's clearly a design choice.

For example, with the Apple Watch, Apple seems to be content with 18-hr battery life, and anything "more" goes into supporting additional sensors, features or maybe even shrinking the battery.

It's the same here. Apple seems to think that with the iPad, a thinner and lighter device is a more usable device, so we can expect that any boosts to battery life (eg: via a more efficient processor or screen) will be offset elsewhere.

The 13" iPad Pro appears to have the most dramatic weight decrease by far (100g). I will have to hold it at the Apple Store to see how significant the weight reduction is, but it sounds like something that may not seem all that impressive online, but will make a noticeable improvement for the people actually trying it out in person.

That's the thing about debating hardware specs online. It's not always so apparent that having more or less of a particular spec means for the end user experience.

• Love
Reactions: I7guy and Tagbert

arjuna137

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
Ipad Pro 12,9CapacityConsumptionBattery Life
Apple A12z4th gen36,713,979,2
Apple M15th gen40,88
Apple M26th gen40,884,319,5
Apple M47th gen38,993,1712,3

This is my estimate, based on the Product Environmental Report from Apple, where they report the consumption of the Ipads....
Product Environmental Report IPad Pro M4
Apple A12z consumption
For me battery life is much more important than a thinner device... but if a 30% increase of battery life is real, I would buy.....

Last edited:

Silberbogen

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Ruhrpott
You can’t charge it at all? Two iPads sounds overkill.
I don't work with Procreate while an iPad is loading. I once had a device that suffered a broken circuit board due to the cable, that's enough for a lifetime. I prefer to be overly cautious and use two iPads.

I would therefore prefer a single iPad with a long battery life.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
I don't work with Procreate while an iPad is loading. I once had a device that suffered a broken circuit board due to the cable, that's enough for a lifetime. I prefer to be overly cautious and use two iPads.

I would therefore prefer a single iPad with a long battery life.
Most people overlook it, but what really matters is that you either use original power adapters and cables or MFA (Made for Apple) ones. It's the cheap power adapters and cables that can short your devices and risk your life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.