Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I have been thinking, and it doesn’t occur to me how could this work, or with what purpose.

This is how I can see it working. It might be changing the HTML/ CSS code locally. The webpage gets downloaded to the device, and the HTML/CSS code modified and cached.

This can be used to block web ads intelligently, I think.

Reactions: Populus

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This particular feature sounds really interesting and I genuinely want to see how this will be implemented. 👀
Not sure if you are aware of Arc. But the feature they are describing reminds me of something from it… I believe it’s called “Zap.”

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hmmm would be nice if we could get it to do what Apple has not done for a long time - good memory management when using a browser.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I have been thinking, and it doesn’t occur to me how could this work, or with what purpose.
It sounds like what desktop ad blockers have already allowed for a long time: You select elements on a page that you want removed, and this will be remembered across page visits. The purpose is to remove annoying ads, overlays, and popups.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Extentions that does this job already exist. They're quite handy, mostly if you visit regularly specific websites and don't want distractions (and you decide what "distraction" actually is)

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
When will they add scrolling screenshots system wide? This is a feature that is on Samsung Galaxies since forever that I wish was on IPhones
You mean, take the screenshot of the entire page, regardless the app you're using? I think that's already possible, man 😂. I sure did take a few some years back.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Every single iOS 18 software feature should be compatible with at least iPhone 14 and newer.

(I can see some camera related stuff not working but for the most part, everything else should)

Reactions: Fraserpatty

Gfive

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2007
Clarksville, VA
I use to love safari, but nowadays I am using firefox… safari is a h**l for web development. (Caches off, do not cache anything is still no option…. ) i mean caches back in the day using a dial in 28k8 or 33k3 modem i get, but with fiber… let the browser check what your speed is and than choose to cache or not…. With firefox you just turn it off…

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Every time AI gets mentioned in relation to an Apple release, the stock ticks up. Wall Street is completely out of their minds about AI.

I'm still waiting to hear how it actually makes anything better-- I hope this isn't just a bandwagon exercise like when they decided it would be good to make Facebook integration an integrated feature of OS X.

mysticmanix

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
You mean, take the screenshot of the entire page, regardless the app you're using? I think that's already possible, man 😂. I sure did take a few some years back.
No, it's only possible in a couple of Apple first-party apps like Safari, and even then the functionality is terrible, you can't choose how much you scroll, it must be the current screen, or the entire page.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
“AI” features 😂

iOS 18 sounds even worse every day now.

Biggest update in iOS history!!!!! Lmfao

Can’t even do alarms right, wouldn’t trust AI with this lot in a million years.
Well that's a clever response.
My guess is that the Safari team is INTIMATELY involved with the details of how alarms are set on iOS...

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Not sure why so many people in this forum are anti-anything labelled AI, especially if it'll be done on-device. All these features sound like good and useful additions to me.
People are, in fact, sheep. (Or if you want to be fancy, they are Girardian mimics.)

If you're older than 30, you should by now have seen multiple waves of people simply repeating what they hear others repeat. If you haven't noticed that yet by age 30, well, refer to my first sentence...

Reactions: amartinez1660

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
This particular feature sounds really interesting and I genuinely want to see how this will be implemented. 👀
Maybe an FU to the EU by allowing you to block those idiotic and pointless "cookie warning" dick bars?

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Not sure why so many people in this forum are anti-anything labelled AI, especially if it'll be done on-device. All these features sound like good and useful additions to me.
Apple could do even better. For example Apple Translate is useful, including being useful for web pages.
But I'd like a translated web page to also translate the IMAGES on the page.
Hell, let's go all in and also allow for translating the audio and the text within audio and video streams...
Likewise, generate on-the-fly closed captioning for streams that don't have it? Or on-page text transcripts of audio and video? Or translate PDFs and other documents that I want to download?

Why not? Isn't the point of AI to basically smooth ALL this sort of friction?

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Apple could do even better. For example Apple Translate is useful, including being useful for web pages.
But I'd like a translated web page to also translate the IMAGES on the page.
Hell, let's go all in and also allow for translating the audio and the text within audio and video streams...
Likewise, generate on-the-fly closed captioning for streams that don't have it? Or on-page text transcripts of audio and video? Or translate PDFs and other documents that I want to download?

Why not? Isn't the point of AI to basically smooth ALL this sort of friction?

This is what AI is capable of that people are not seeing. Big Tech has only shown us the chatbot because that's what is (for better or worse) what is ready to ship.

I already use AI daily to organize data for work. ChatGPT saves me hours every month already, and that's just within the confines of a chat interface. I can't wait to see how Apple brings AI to their entire operating system.

• Love
Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.