Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID worth keeping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I had been happily using the MX Keys for Mac for years and loved it... up until I switched from a MacBook Pro as my main computer to the new Mac Studio. Suddenly the Touch ID button was no longer within reach. It took me all of 3 days of normal use to run down to the Apple store and buy the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

I do miss the key backlighting on the MX Keys, but overall, I really like the Apple keyboard. I cannot say the same for the Apple Magic Mouse... I'm sticking with the MX Master 3 mouse.

Reactions: gshocked

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I had been happily using the MX Keys for Mac for years and loved it... up until I switched from a MacBook Pro as my main computer to the new Mac Studio. Suddenly the Touch ID button was no longer within reach. It took me all of 3 days of normal use to run down to the Apple store and buy the new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

I do miss the key backlighting on the MX Keys, but overall, I really like the Apple keyboard. I cannot say the same for the Apple Magic Mouse... I'm sticking with the MX Master 3 mouse.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yes, I do agree with you regarding the magic mouse! It's very uncomfortable, I got my only AA battery version out and used it for an hour or so and it was painful.

I end up giving my old "dark" MX Keys to someone and purchased the "Mac" version, as it matches the Mac Studio (?) aesthetic. BUT Honestly, I do miss touch ID!
I am hoping they release a non-Numpad version in black soon!!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I am hoping they release a non-Numpad version in black soon!!
I'm no expert, but I don't think Apple will ever release a black version of the non-Numpad keyboard. Black/Space Gray with silver are what Apple seems to consider "pro" colors. As such, many pros want/need the NumPad.

Consumer-level customers, on the other hand, don't necessarily need or want the Numpad – the extra desk space is more valuable to them. And Apple uses white/silver for most consumer-level products. It's their brand. Even the new colored mice for the iMacs are mostly silver.

I wish I was completely off on my opinion, but history proves this theory out.

Reactions: MajorFubar

gshocked

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Australia
I'm no expert, but I don't think Apple will ever release a black version of the non-Numpad keyboard. Black/Space Gray with silver are what Apple seems to consider "pro" colors. As such, many pros want/need the NumPad.

Consumer-level customers, on the other hand, don't necessarily need or want the Numpad – the extra desk space is more valuable to them. And Apple uses white/silver for most consumer-level products. It's their brand. Even the new colored mice for the iMacs are mostly silver.

I wish I was completely off on my opinion, but history proves this theory out.
Hi,

Sorry, I did mean the new "black" & silver version they just release but minus the numpad.

Reactions: bluespark

Oreb

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2022

This makes no sense to me. There are all sorts of pros, and many (or even most?) of them have little or no use for a numpad. And you could also argue that the better ergonomics of a small keyboard is of more value to professionals who spend all their time in front of the computer than to casual users.

I consider myself a pro (a programmer), I spend most of my working time typing, and I refuse to even consider buying a keyboard with a numpad. I never use the numpad, and the long distance to the mouse or trackpad is super annoying.

Reactions: royas

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
How about a backlit Magic Keyboard, let's say directly stolen from the 14/16 MBP's but in a nice alu case, that connects to the computer via a real physical cable instead of via awful unreliable BT? Not sure I'd be right at the front of the queue because I really like my new-to-me Apple A1048 having spent months trying to find a really nice one, but it would interest me more than another lousy BT keyboard which drops connection all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.