Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The D70 is a pretty small dSLR. The D40 isn't really much smaller. You're going to have to carry around the same shape/weight/accessories regardless of which one you carry.

In the interest of saving money, I'd recommend you take a point & shoot when you want light weight and the dSLR when you have time and need the extra speed.

No point in purchasing a D40. No real gain.

I'm coming around to this opinion as well. But what point and shoot would you recommend? I know this question has been asked a million times before, and I've done a lot of research, but I still can't decide.

I've considered the PowerShot G9, but I'm scared off by the reports of lens errors. And the price. At $450, it's not _that_ much cheaper than the Olympus E-420.

I've looked at the SD870 IS, but I'm concerned that it's not going to generate any better pictures than my SD630, so why bother.

Lots of people have recommended one of the Lumix models, but every review I've read says they suffer from a lot of noise, even at low ISO.

(And before anyone goes suggests it, I can't afford a Leica or Sigma, so don't go there.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.