Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75, Canon 50mm II, Tamron 90mm Macro. I want to sell my macro lens and buy a 70-200, but I won't pay the premium for f/2.8 and f/4 is a stop too slow for me.
I got a used 80-200 Nikkor for relatively little (although I would have taken a Tokina/Sigma zoom as well). The main gripes I have are (i) size (it doesn't fit into my camera bag anymore which gives me all the more reason to sell it and get a different zoom lens), (ii) zoom range (which is partly personal preference) and (iii) AF speed (which can be slower as the lens is a bit older). Sigma still sells a 70-200 zoom for a reasonable price (cheaper than Canon's f/4 L zoom, but about the same as Nikon's 80-200 zoom).

I'm still old-school, i. e. IMO nothing can replace a larger aperture (great for portraits and close-ups). With dslrs, speed is not that much of a factor anymore, I got really used to a 2.8 f-stop a few years ago on my first 28-70 (Tokina) zoom which gave me so many more options to take pictures.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
Sigma's current 70-200 is more expensive than the canon 70-200 f/4L, but less than the f/2.8 model or the f/4 with IS.

I want telephoto more than I need it. I have no business use for it, but there are occasions for personal use when longer range would be/have been extremely useful, and my 90mm is too short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.