Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
canon-rebel-xsi.jpg

XSi announced! Not bad, but a bit pricey!

12.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS (1.6x focal conversion)
3-inch live view LCD (up from the XTi's non-live-view 2.5-inch)
DIGIC III image processor
9-point AF, 3.5fps shot rate (up to 45 images in JPEG, 6 in RAW)
The usual ultrasonic sensor cleaning
SD / SDHC media (note: no CF card slot)
Ships April, $799 and $899 for body-only / included EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, respectively

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
One REALLY BIG difference is lack of Compact Flash card support. I guess Canon is moving toward SD cards in the non-pro bodies.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Anyone else notice how dirt cheap SD cards are these days as compared to the fluctuating pricing of CF cards lately? I guess since most cameras take SD, new future DSLR users upgrading from a P&S won't have to spend money on new cards.

The big question is whether the viewfinder is still the same. Looks like a nice upgrade though, still love my XT and waiting on a 5D successor.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
So I was just looking at the Canon website showing a friend a few different lenses when I saw this Starred on the site and I was mad at myself for not staying on top of the new releases, I was like 'When did this come out!'

Come to find out it was tonight. :) I'm not mad at myself anymore.

No CF is kinda strange, but if it's fast enough why not? SD is pretty much it outside Pro Cameras.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Looks like the grip is a lot better. But my next camera upgrade will be to a 5D or the successor, so for now I'm content with my EOS 400D.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
I am going to get it but too bad it does not come out until April. I have to get through most of the semester of photography with my moms camera.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Looks like the grip is a lot better. But my next camera upgrade will be to a 5D or the successor, so for now I'm content with my EOS 400D.

Same here, love my 400d the 450d grip looks a little better, but since I got a battery grip (BG-E3) for my 400d, it feels so much nicer to use.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well Olympus only got Live View right once, and it was on one of their earliest models with this feature. Since then, every implementation hasn't been as useful. ;)

Olympus really should produce a camera with Live View as a main feature, one which used their old method (splitting the light). Yes, it means that the viewfinder is a bit dark, but if real Live View (ie: point and shoot style) is your thing, then Olympus has the camera for you.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The new kit lens seems like a bigger deal than the new camera. Definitely a host of small improvements. I'm not planning to replace my 400D for many years, so no surprise that I don't feel any urges. Looks like the ergonomics are improved, both in the grip and the viewfinder. Wish they'd stuck with 10 MP and CF cards. All the other slight improvements would be nice to have too.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I have an Xti and I'm pretty sure it underexposes most pictures by 1/3 - 1.

I have read that this is intentional, 'it's better to underexpose than overexpose,' blah blah, but Automatic doesn't look very good unless the lighting is perfect. I have to manually set the other modes to overexpose...

I'm hoping the Xsi fixes this.

Maybe this feature will help : Auto Optimization : http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...categoryid=139&modelid=16303#ModelFeaturesAct

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Wow at 12 megapixels and 3.5 fps that's not a bad deal for a starter level dSLR. I wonder how the features will actually translate image wise.

Keep in mind though that Canon's strategy seems to be to introduce a new Rebel and have the previous model still in production with a price drop. So they'll have the XTi and XSi on sale at the same time.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The XT is looking like a fabulous option -- hopefully the price will drop below $350. Great backup body for important shoots!

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
It's a nice looking dSLR, I must say, but the lack of CF support is a pretty big deal for me. I don't want to buy a whole load of SD cards to match my current CF collection; that just doesn't make sense.

I'll stick with my planned 30D purchase.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's a nice looking dSLR, I must say, but the lack of CF support is a pretty big deal for me. I don't want to buy a whole load of SD cards to match my current CF collection; that just doesn't make sense.

I'll stick with my planned 30D purchase.

I hear people saying "I've got $400 invested in CF cards" yes but you could replace them today for $80.

Buying a few new SD cards adds only 5% to the price of the camera. Most people who can afford $900 for a camera can afford the extra $50 for memory.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
This looks like a nice camera. I do wish Canon, Nikon, and the others would stop with the pointless megapixel increases though. I'd rather see the sensor resolutions stay the same with superior noise handling.

Yeah, I'd rather have 10MP and 3200 ISO over 12MP and 1200 ISO any day.

But these cameras have to compete in a market that doesn't fully understand these things.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah. It should be noted that the new 40D and 1D mkIII have a lower MP count. Pixel size (relative to sensor size) just isn't a sexy selling point.

I WANT GIGAPIXELS!!! :D

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
I hear people saying "I've got $400 invested in CF cards" yes but you could replace them today for $80.

Buying a few new SD cards adds only 5% to the price of the camera. Most people who can afford $900 for a camera can afford the extra $50 for memory.

It's not that, it's more I can't be bothered. :D

I just like CF cards too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.