Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
The press release also seems to indicate that the EF-S 55-250mm IS is available in the States now. I know a number of people were starting to give up hope that it would happen

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
As long as it has Live View, i'll take it!

Under the 'more is merrier' dogma - Live View and/of Tera(Patrick)Pixels :p

Once again, Canon has added many of the XXD series features, but left out the XXD killer (kind of like the iBook/MacBook scenario, don't want to step on the sales/higher profit margins of the 'pro' line) feature of ISO high gain mode of ISO3200, which has zero technical reason not to include since the 10D. I could do without some of the other new features, if they would just match Pentax or Nikon and put out a decent ISO6400 high gain mode (we can only wish for this in an updated 5D, but all bets are on boring 'live view' and increase to 16MP sensor----I'm sure most D3 owners are not going to miss the 21MP from the FF Canon, and will gladly take the trade off of very small gains in actual detail resolution, for the marked increase from Canon's pokey slow ISO3200 to 6.4, 12.8 & 25.6k in the D3. This all the while the PnS market is going crazy with insanely higher MP counts, coupled with massive noise levels in nearly worthless ISO 6400 or higher.

We note though, that the new larger Fuji Super CCD 2/3in sensor in the bridge cam is nice, and trickle down feature of wider dynamic range tech from the S5 Pro into their top of the line PnS compact F100d.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Couldn't you just offset not having high ISO (above ISO 1600) by using some fast glass? Why shoot at 5.6 and 1600 when you could shoot at ISO 400/800 at f1.4, f1.8, f2, or even stretching it, f2.8?

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
Couldn't you just offset not having high ISO (above ISO 1600) by using some fast glass? Why shoot at 5.6 and 1600 when you could shoot at ISO 400/800 at f1.4, f1.8, f2, or even stretching it, f2.8?
Faster glass is more expensive than some can afford after purchasing a new body; with the exception of the thrifty fifty.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I read that the viewfinder is new, larger and improved, not a prism, still mirrors but a significant upgrade from the previous cameras.

Larger viewfinder, live view, better grip, SD cards, spot meter, I should seriously buy this for my dad (and let him use my lenses) if I was a good son lol.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC

Many reasons. You may want some depth of field for one. But the fact is that many applications, such as church lighting ISO 1600 and f/2.8 is barely if even enough light. There are plenty of things darker than a church too.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This really is the upgrade. The 300D was a crippled 350D that worked well with a hack. The 350D was a good camera. The 400D upgrade was very very minor, and very disappointing, really. Now we have the 450D, which seems like a great upgrade for anyone who had a 350D. Better viewfinder (in terms of coverage and size.....it still uses a mirror :eek: ), and spot metering, which is VERY old technology but was purposely excluded from the 3xxD and 4xxD lines in the past. Also, the body is larger, and the grip is slightly thicker, which will make it feel less cheap-o.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
This really is the upgrade. The 300D was a crippled 350D that worked well with a hack. The 350D was a good camera. The 400D upgrade was very very minor, and very disappointing, really. Now we have the 450D, which seems like a great upgrade for anyone who had a 350D. Better viewfinder (in terms of coverage and size.....it still uses a mirror :eek: ), and spot metering, which is VERY old technology but was purposely excluded from the 3xxD and 4xxD lines in the past. Also, the body is larger, and the grip is slightly thicker, which will make it feel less cheap-o.

Why is this upgrade so much bigger than the 350 -> 400 upgrade and why was that upgrade disappointing? They both feature the not terribly important megapixel boost, better AF, slightly improved ergonomics, and a few custom features, menu improvements, etc. The 400 added the cleaning system and I'd argue that the jump from 1.8" LCD to 2.5" is significant, whereas 2.5 to 3 is minor. The 450 adds spot metering and a better viewfinder (OK, much better than cleaning system) and live view.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bigger screen is a bit meaningless, actually.

I'd consider this a much bigger upgrade because with the change in the size of the body and hand-grip, along with the size of the viewfinder, using that camera is going to be like using an entirely different camera. If you pick up a 350D and 400D, they almost feel the same. Look through the viewfinder of a 400D, and you still see the small, dark view you got on the 350D.

Add a sharp, good quality kit lens (according to several lens tests), and add image stabilization to it, and you have yourself an entirely different camera and lens combo.

I never used to recommend the 300D, 350D, or 400D, and used to say that the Canon 20D, 30D, and now 40D were the lowest Canon models I would actually consider buying, but now things have probably changed. I'll have to wait to either handle one, or read some reviews first, though.

The upgrade to the 400D gave it more MP, a dust reduction system that didn't work, and a larger LCD.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I agree the kit lens sounds like it's greatly improved. That's a huge difference.

The LCD isn't exactly meaningless. It's useful for reviewing images and making sure you got what you wanted, which is easier and more accurate on a bigger screen. I'm also not sure that the dust reduction system doesn't work. I'm sure it's hardly foolproof, but certainly a big improvement over nothing (in an insufficient survey, I've never seen any dust on my 400D's sensor, while my Nikon friends have had obvious dust problems).

I'm not arguing that this isn't a bigger upgrade, mind you. It definitely is.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Wait a minute - you guys didn't have spot metering? Even my D70 has that. I use that mode more often than any other (well, meaning "more than matrix metering"; I never use center-weighted because that's just evil).

Definitely one of the complaints about the Rebels. They do have partial metering though, which is 9% at center, whereas spot on the new Rebel is 4%, also only at center (the Nikons can do spot at any focus point right?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Definitely one of the complaints about the Rebels. They do have partial metering though, which is 9% at center, whereas spot on the new Rebel is 4%, also only at center (the Nikons can do spot at any focus point right?

I can't speak for all the lower-end Nikons - but my D70 can do spot metering on any of the focus points (what few it has).

I had to look that up, actually, since I tend to "focus and reframe" in spot mode - force of habit from the old days, I guess.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I was interested in this since I just bought a 350D a few months back...as I see it, the low cost of the 350D still makes it a really attractive option over a 400/450D if you're on a budget...More money for lenses. :)

Faster glass is more expensive than some can afford after purchasing a new body; with the exception of the thrifty fifty.

It would be nice to have ISO 3200, because "fast glass" gets expensive quick.

By the way, "thrify fifty" is the third name I've heard for the 50mm f1.8 today. surfing in other forums today I've seen it referred to as the "plastic fantastic" and "light fifty", a reference to the Barret M82 rifle. :D

People are fond of this little lens. I love mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.