Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
carletonmusic said:
Introducing the revolutionary EOS 3D.
Built from the ground up to represent the new face of digital imaging the EOS 3D will represent a breakthrough in high performance yet affordable photography. Featuring an elegant yet supremely functional design it takes the best of Canon's previous designs and enhances the experience even further. A high performance AF system featuring 27pt of which 11 are x-type down to f/4 while and the centre point is cross-type to f/5.6 and allows AF down to f/11. The AI servo performance has been significantly improved too, exceeding that of the 1D Mk II.

Also Canon proudly brings ECF to the digital era and is greatly enhanced in performance over that found in the Elan 7NE.
However, the true revolution lies in the heart of the camera. Packing an amazing 13.3MP into an APS-H sized sensor the images are processed by a new DIGIC III engine. The next generation DIGIC III Image Processor builds on the legendary abilities of the digic II with double the processing power necessary to deliver unprecedented levels of resolution, speed and dynamic range. Despite the EOS 3D having smaller pixels than the EOS 5D, the DIGIC III provides even greater DR, more accurate colour rendition improved WB and lower noise. ISO 50 and 3200 are now part of the standard ISO settings and ISO 25 and 6400 are now included as an expanded option. Also it further reduces power consumption allowing class leading battery performance.

Thanks to DIGIC III the EOS 3D also boasts an impressive burst rate of 6fps for 18 shots in RAW and 40 in jpg.

In addition the body adds several sealing gaskets to the all magnesium shell allowing for operation in more extreme environments. A new evaluative algorithm allows more accurate metering in extreme lighting and can even correctly expose subjects like snow. Also a 2.4% spot meter allows for precise metering of any part of the scene. The viewfinder shows an impressive 98% of the scene both horizontally and vertically. Also for the first time Canon will be employing 2.75" OLED display screen, offering superior resolution, brightness and power consumption to LCD screens and having markedly better performance in bright daylight
Can you name your sources? ;)

This is certainly well-written and the specifications are all realistic. However, there are too many missing commas and periods, suggesting that it isn't authentic or that the grammatical errors stem from transcription. Also, sometimes Digic is spelled DIGIC and other times it is spelled digic. This is too pronounced a mistake to have been made by Canon.

As I recall, Canon has stated its intention to continue developing models around the APS-H (1.3x) sensor, so the claim of 13.3 MP (up from 8.2 MP) is believable. Other than the 27-point autofocus system, every other specification is immediately believable. This is because both the 1D Mark IIN and 1Ds Mark II have a 45-point AF system. If the 3D is a successor to the 1D Mark IIN, it should have at least the same AF system.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
ksz said:
As I recall, Canon has stated its intention to continue developing models around the APS-H (1.3x) sensor, so the claim of 13.3 MP (up from 8.2 MP) is believable. Other than the 27-point autofocus system, every other specification is immediately believable. This is because both the 1D Mark IIN and 1Ds Mark II have a 45-point AF system. If the 3D is a successor to the 1D Mark IIN, it should have at least the same AF system.

The rumored 3D is not a successor to the 1D mkIIN. The latter is supposed to be dissolved/combined into the 1D mkIII which will have an ultra-high res 22MP @ 5fps and then a high speed crop of 8.5fps for ~12MP. One camera to rule them all! :D

The 3D is supposed to fall in the middle of the new 1DmkIII 22MP and the 5D 12MP; A camera for professionals who don't need more than 13MP and don't need more than 6fps. I'm in!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The One Camera to Rule them All would be extremely enticing even to a D200 owner like myself! I wonder if the high-speed crop mode will be an APS-C or APS-H form factor. If the latter, then the new camera will be a true hybrid of the previous 1D models.

EDIT: I think someone did the math for both APS-C and APS-H and extrapolated the pixel density out to FF, and calcuated that the crop mode would have to be APS-C if FF mode is to be 22+ MP. However, it's late, I don't have the frame sizes, my body is exhausted from working out, and I'm gonna pass this to someone else...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
ksz said:
The One Camera to Rule them All would be extremely enticing even to a D200 owner like myself! I wonder if the high-speed crop mode will be an APS-C or APS-H form factor. If the latter, then the new camera will be a true hybrid of the previous 1D models.
It probably depends more on what DIGIC III can do in terms of throughput. The more data it can cram in quickly, the larger the image size in the cropped frame. If the other hardware can hold up, DIGICIII could potentially keep the 8.2MP crop and churn out speeds of 12fps! My guess is that Canon would keep the framerate of the current 1D and use DIGICIII to get larger images through at that speed.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
carletonmusic said:
It probably depends more on what DIGIC III can do in terms of throughput. The more data it can cram in quickly, the larger the image size in the cropped frame. If the other hardware can hold up, DIGICIII could potentially keep the 8.2MP crop and churn out speeds of 12fps! My guess is that Canon would keep the framerate of the current 1D and use DIGICIII to get larger images through at that speed.
Not sure if the interface to the card is really up to it though.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Great point. I know that the buffer on the camera holds a lot (not everything is transferred to the card in real time). Taking that a step further - maybe a requirement for dual memory cards (2xCF or CF+SD) to get the full 8.5fps @ 12MP?

Again, I'm making up numbers, but the idea of a high-speed crop (as shown by Nikon) is a great idea.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
jared_kipe said:
Not sure if the interface to the card is really up to it though.
If you really wanted to design a camera capable of doing X frames per second (assuming the sensor is capable of pumping out those frames, that is), it's not particularly difficult. First step is to grab the specs for whichever interface you're interested in (probably SD, since it's so much smaller physically than CF), and figure out how fast the fastest commonly-available card can be written to. Then figure out how much data needs to be crammed onto the card in a second. Divide the first figure into the second, and set up at least that many interfaces to cards.

Then a bit of buffering, and a nice round-robin write sequence, and away you go.

eg: Say 22 megapixels, and assume that the images are 22 MB in size each (a reasonable assumption: my 20D, at 8 MP, produces 7.5 MB RAW images.) Sandisk claims that their Extreme 3 writes at 20 MB/s. Say 10 frames per second, that's an aggregate of 220 MB per second. You'd need at least 11 SD interfaces, and cards in all those interfaces, to do the job, as well as a minimum of 220 MB (preferably much more) in buffer. Since that's running so close to the stated specs, I'd probably want at least 15 SD interfaces. Wouldn't be cheap, but you'd be able to do it if you really wanted to. :D

Me, I'm lusting after the idea of the 50mm f/1.2L. Given that it's likely to be $AU1500-2000 or so, I doubt I can justify the cost, but man, it'd be a sweet lens to add to the collection, especially on a 1.6 crop body (poor man's 85mm f/1.2L! :p)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
What exactly do people photograph with 22MP?
Or more importantly, what are the 22MP photos used for? Billboards?!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
There's some confusion here over buffering and card-writing. All DSLR specifications state:

You can shoot X frames per second for a total burst of Y shots.

If the camera can shoot 4 frames per second and the buffer is good for 48 shots, you can keep the shutter-release button pressed continuously for 12 seconds. After that the buffer fills up and no further shooting is allowed; when data is transferred to the memory card, you can resume shooting.

Hence, the rate at which data can be written to the card is secondary to:

1. the rate at which data can be written to the memory buffer, and
2. the capacity of the memory buffer.

You should use high-speed cards to minimize the buffer-to-card transfer time. Fortunately, memory cards are getting faster all the time. New developments in flash design and process technologies are under way that will soon make flash as fast as DRAM!

Imagine the speed of DRAM and the nonvolatility of flash rolled into one!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
seenew said:
They said that about 1 GB of memory.

They said that again about 1 GB of disk space. Who, after all, could ever fill up 1 GB?

They said that again about 64-bit computing. Who, after all, would need more than 4 GB of physical memory?

They said that about 5 Megapixel cameras. Who needs more than 5 MP?

They said that again for 8 Megapixel cameras.

They said that again for 10 Megapixel cameras.

They said that again for 16 Megapixel cameras.

Now they're saying it for 22 Megapixel cameras.

I think it's all about detail and producing (printing) as smooth a picture as possible, even at 13x19 or larger. Not everyone will benefit from 22 MP, but some will.

Eventually I suspect printers and LCDs will rise to the occasion and offer much higher resolutions. In other words, the ecosystem will grow around it.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
ksz said:
They said that about 1 GB of memory.

They said that again about 1 GB of disk space. Who, after all, could ever fill up 1 GB?

They said that again about 64-bit computing. Who, after all, would need more than 4 GB of physical memory?

They said that about 5 Megapixel cameras. Who needs more than 5 MP?

They said that again for 8 Megapixel cameras.

They said that again for 10 Megapixel cameras.

They said that again for 16 Megapixel cameras.

Now they're saying it for 22 Megapixel cameras.

I think it's all about detail and producing (printing) as smooth a picture as possible, even at 13x19 or larger. Not everyone will benefit from 22 MP, but some will.

Eventually I suspect printers and LCDs will rise to the occasion and offer much higher resolutions. In other words, the ecosystem will grow around it.

All true, but do I have to buy a new MacPro to edit these files?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
iHotu said:
All true, but do I have to buy a new MacPro to edit these files?
The files, if shot in RAW, will be between 22 and 30 megabytes. Any modern computer can handle that, which I'm sure you already knew.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
seenew said:

Using regular software, they're going to be able to zoom into an image using a loupe and see every pore, every scar, and every flaw in your face. As camera sensor technology develops even further, they'll have photos crammed with enough megapixels to allow them to zoom in and take a closer look at your biological cells, and eventually, your DNA.

(I have no idea, but probably billboards. Maybe 10000 photographers (just a random guess) in the US need a 22MP camera that shoots at 8.5 fps in order to do their work, but hey, I'm sure Canon will sell 50000 of them just because people buy more than they need. But yes, billboards and large posters.)

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Abstract said:
Using regular software, they're going to be able to zoom into an image using a loupe and see every pore, every scar, and every flaw in your face. As camera sensor technology develops even further, they'll have photos crammed with enough megapixels to allow them to zoom in and take a closer look at your biological cells, and eventually, your DNA.

Finally, cameras will become self-aware and take over the world.

Sounds like we've got a good enough plot for the successor to Terminator 3!

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
seenew said:

High end portrait studios (think celebrities). Serious landscape photography. Advertisements, commercial photography, fashion photography, weddings, etc. Just about anything if you have the cash.

22MP is nothing new. The Mamiya ZD is a 22MP medium format SLR. The Hasselblad H2D is 39MP.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah, keep in mind that a 22MP image on a screen is FAR larger than what it would be in print. Whatever the pixel dimensions might be -- divide those numbers by 300ppi and you get the pro print resolution.

5775x3850 resolution would give you 19.25 inches x 12.8 inches -- certainly not a billboard.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
400d Msrp

Saw a news article this morning on the 400D.

Looks like its MSRP is going to be $775.

It will be interesting to see if there's any other announcements... "today's the day".

-hh

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
-hh said:
Saw a news article this morning on the 400D. Looks like its MSRP is going to be $775.
-hh

The new XTi/400D certainly does put a lot of price pressure on the $900 Sony and $1000 Nikon D80.

The lower end DSLRs are gateway drugs!!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
Using regular software, they're going to be able to zoom into an image using a loupe and see every pore, every scar, and every flaw in your face. As camera sensor technology develops even further, they'll have photos crammed with enough megapixels to allow them to zoom in and take a closer look at your biological cells, and eventually, your DNA.]

Not quite. At 22MP we are just about back where we were with film but not quite there. When I scan my 35mm frames at 4800 DPI I get 32MP files. These are 7200x4800 pixels. 4800 pixels in 24mm is 200 per mm and will capture images with 80 lines per mm of resolution. 80LPM is about what a good lens can capture. So when we finally get a 32MP full frame dSLR then it will equal the image quality of a 1950's vintage film camera. My 1950's Exacta SLR still beats my Nikon DSRL n terms of pure image quality but the D50 is much more convinent to use.

In any case you will never be able to zoom in to see extream details. The laws of physics will prevent that. The resolving power of a theorectically perfect lens is proportional to it's diameter. So in real world terms a lens will never project an image with more then about 100 lines per mm.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2004
Strange stuff...

What is on the screen? and why didn't canon not retake the shot without it on it...

Original File HERE

223747603_97f83c5bca_o.png

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
-hh said:
Saw a news article this morning on the 400D.

Looks like its MSRP is going to be $775.

-hh

:eek: I paid almost that much for the 350D.

The price of the 50mm f/1.2L is going to be $1600 according to DPreview.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
extraextra said:
:eek: I paid almost that much for the 350D.

The price of the 50mm f/1.2L is going to be $1600 according to DPreview.

Yeah, I paid MORE than that for my RebelXT, only back on June 25. :(

Bart99

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
Canon XTi

Canon to launch entry-level digital SLR camera

Friday, August 25, 2006
TOKYO - Reuters

Canon Inc. unveiled a new digital single-lens reflex camera on Thursday that undercut the price of a similar model sold by Sony Corp. in the market for photo enthusiasts.

Canon, the world's top digital camera maker, said it would launch the new entry-level SLR camera globally in September with plans to produce 180,000 units per month. The camera body is priced at about 90,000 yen ($775).

The camera, named EOS Kiss Digital X in Japan and Rebel XTi in the United States, will be equipped with a sensor capable of 10.1 megapixels of resolution.

Canon faces a new threat from consumer electronics makers including Sony and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which have tied up with other camera makers to make inroads into the more profitable SLR market as margins for simpler compact models decline due to price competition.

Sony, which bought the SLR unit of Konica Minolta Holdings, began selling its first digital SLR in July at around 100,000 yen, with a resolution of 10.2 megapixels.

Despite emerging competition, the digital SLR market is still dominated by traditional camera makers such as Canon, which has 70 years of history in the industry. This is the tenth generation of Canon's best-selling EOS Kiss, or Rebel, cameras.

Tokyo-based Canon accounted for 53 percent of the digital SLR market in 2005, followed by another Japanese maker, Nikon Corp., at 28 percent, according to research firm IDC.

Canon has said it estimates sales of digital SLRs will jump 26 percent to 2.4 million units in 2006 from a year earlier. That would outperform sales growth of compact models, expected to rise 17 percent to 17.6 million units.

Digital SLRs, unlike compact models, use interchangeable lenses. They have more advanced sensors and take better-quality pictures. Canon has sold more than 30 million interchangeable lenses, most of which can be used for both its film and digital cameras.

In Japan, Canon expects to recover its share in the domestic digital SLR market, which shrank to the mid-40 percent range after Sony and Matsushita introduced their new SLR models in July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.