Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
i'd have 1 UV polarized filer and 1 clear filter for each lens. protects the lens glass and helps with the UV when outside.

and a lens pen cleaner to clean the lens.

maybe a flash, but those can be expensive.

I used to subscribe to the notion that you needed a clear UV filter on lenses, mainly to "protect" them. I always thought that I'd spent $1,000+ on a lens, so why not put a filter on it for protection.

I soon realised that I purchase $1,000+ lenses for their image quality, and putting a cheap filter on the front is like buying a Ferrari and swapping out the engine for a Ford Focus'.

Skip the "protecting" filters. Use the lens cap when stored and the lens hood when in use for protection.

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
OP, how do you like the D5000? I'm seriously considering getting one, but torn between a D5000 and a Canon Rebel T1i. And I'm also new to DSLR myself.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I used to subscribe to the notion that you needed a clear UV filter on lenses, mainly to "protect" them. I always thought that I'd spent $1,000+ on a lens, so why not put a filter on it for protection.

I soon realised that I purchase $1,000+ lenses for their image quality, and putting a cheap filter on the front is like buying a Ferrari and swapping out the engine for a Ford Focus'.

Skip the "protecting" filters. Use the lens cap when stored and the lens hood when in use for protection.

While that is true, you can still get a good UV filter :)

For a started, handling the lens, remember the cap on/off, etc., can lead to smudges and dust and the major freaking out on how to clean it properly.

Once used to such things, it will be much easier to go without any protective filters. :)

Op, I have a similar case as the one you linked. I put my D40 in it, and toss it and the rest of the equipment in a regular backpack. Nothing fancy, but very flexible for placing whatever you want inside. Start with that and after a while you will find out what type of bag works best for you.

If you get the 50-200 for a $100, that is a pretty good price, go for it. The VR version would be better, but that is a pretty good price for a new lens.

You bought most of what you need to get started. Read the manual or a good review with details (maybe on dpreview.com or something) and get to know your camera.

Take pictures, read more, take more pictures. You will find out what works for you best and what confuses you and what you need to learn more about.

And have fun. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.