Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
27” screen - same quality as current iMac (no XDR)
M2 chip
RAM configurable up to 64 GB
Same exact form factor as current iMac (colors, etc)

Starting price of $1,999

Is this the machine people are asking for?
I think a lot of people would go for that. But at that price it will totally cannibalize sales of just about every other current product line. It would start at $2500.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I think a lot of people would go for that. But at that price it will totally cannibalize sales of just about every other current product line. It would start at $2500.
Base Mac Studio plus base display plus keyboard and trackpad costs $4,300. So much more than the $1,499 iMac. I feel like that iMac pricing is from another era. People are gonna miss how affordable the 24” iMac is whenever it is upgraded.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
An M2 Max, XDR, 27” iMac is really an iMac Pro - such a machine would probably start at $3,000, maybe even $4,000. A 27” iMac maybe should have a Max option, but really a base M2 should really be the default, no?
Yes that’s what I think. Potentially the larger iMac will just be the iMac Pro, which means it would come with the Max and Ultra chips. If they were going to just do a basic 27” LCD with the M1 they would’ve done that already in my opinion. I think the struggle is the primary market for a larger iMac is someone wanting a machine closer to a workstation-level which is why I don’t think we got a basic M1 27” iMac.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
27” screen - same quality as current iMac (no XDR)
M2 chip
RAM configurable up to 64 GB
Same exact form factor as current iMac (colors, etc)

Starting price of $1,999

Is this the machine people are asking for?
With keyboard and mouse - absolutely. This is precisely what my wife would want.

If it was XDR and closer to $4,000 I'm out. Not paying that kind of money on a machine where the display is likely locked out from target mode. While I get why, it is super annoying that our 2015 iMac is about to be a brick once security updates cease. We should at least be able to plug a mini in to it and keep using the display, but alas no.

Reactions: colodane

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
24GB, but not sure if that is something inherent to the chip vs an issue that can be solved in a non-laptop enclosure
Well, when you look at the M1 lineup, hasn't it been:
- M1 - 8-16 gigs
- M1 Pro - 16-32
- M1 Max - 32-64
- M1 Ultra - 64-128
So... since we know that lots of components get doubled between each chip, I would guess there's doubling on the memory controller side going on as well.
Yes that’s what I think. Potentially the larger iMac will just be the iMac Pro, which means it would come with the Max and Ultra chips. If they were going to just do a basic 27” LCD with the M1 they would’ve done that already in my opinion. I think the struggle is the primary market for a larger iMac is someone wanting a machine closer to a workstation-level which is why I don’t think we got a basic M1 27” iMac.
In Windowsland, for many years, the bigger-screened laptops were LOWER end than the smaller-screened laptops. You could find lots of low-end 17" laptops and very few comparably low-end 13" laptops.

Apple has, of course, followed the opposite practice since... probably the move to Intel? And I'm sure they've had some success (and big profits) selling 15.4-16" MBPs to people whose needs would have been met quite nicely by an MBA except they wanted a bigger screen.

The thing is - is this the result of detailed market research showing that no one wanted a 15" with the internals of the 13" models for $200 more? Or did their market research tell them that people who wanted a bigger screen were willing to pay substantially more... so... let's sell them a higher-end laptop than they need and pocket the profits?

And I would think the same principle applies, if not more so, in desktops - with laptops there is a benefit to a smaller laptop, but other than to save money, would anyone rather have a 21.5" iMac over a 27"?

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Well, when you look at the M1 lineup, hasn't it been:
- M1 - 8-16 gigs
- M1 Pro - 16-32
- M1 Max - 32-64
- M1 Ultra - 64-128
So... since we know that lots of components get doubled between each chip, I would guess there's doubling on the memory controller side going on as well.

In Windowsland, for many years, the bigger-screened laptops were LOWER end than the smaller-screened laptops. You could find lots of low-end 17" laptops and very few comparably low-end 13" laptops.

Apple has, of course, followed the opposite practice since... probably the move to Intel? And I'm sure they've had some success (and big profits) selling 15.4-16" MBPs to people whose needs would have been met quite nicely by an MBA except they wanted a bigger screen.

The thing is - is this the result of detailed market research showing that no one wanted a 15" with the internals of the 13" models for $200 more? Or did their market research tell them that people who wanted a bigger screen were willing to pay substantially more... so... let's sell them a higher-end laptop than they need and pocket the profits?

And I would think the same principle applies, if not more so, in desktops - with laptops there is a benefit to a smaller laptop, but other than to save money, would anyone rather have a 21.5" iMac over a 27"?

Wether or not that’s true, now you can find plenty of larger laptops with high-end specs. Plus laptops and desktops are different use-cases.

More on topic: My guess is that Apple wants to sell a high-end iMac that very easily rivals their intel 27” in both CPU and GPU. Right now the M1 Ultra is the only chip that beats out the iMac Pro - but that’s also a 5-year-old machine so we’d hope it could do that. What Apple needs is a chip that far surpasses the iMac Pro in every way. That could be an M2 (or 3) Ultra chip.

Of course, they could also offer a low-end model too, meaning you could maybe get a 27” iMac with M2 all the way up to an M2 Ultra (or M3 who knows what gen it’ll be), but Apple likely didn’t want to only announce a low-end 27” iMac because it would have been a step down from the intel model. This would look bad and make it seem like apple silicon can’t compete with intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.