Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Of all things people complain about regarding iPads and iPadOS, this is the first one that really rubs me the wrong way (just like it did when the feature came to iPhone). Just seems like such a pointless thing to limit users of older devices to be able to control this.

Did check my aging 2018 iPad Pro 11" with Coconutbattery (thanks those who mentioned it!) just now, and I am at 83% after 517 cycles. 🥲

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Still baffles me why Apple did not bring it to other iPhone (and now iPad) models. It is not that it costs them anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Sad
Reactions: zapmymac

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Too much information can definitely be a problem. There are outraged users on the Apple Support Communities complaining that their iPhone 15 Pro Max battery health went from 100% to 99% in a month, which is perfectly normal by the way. They have no clue that batteries are consumables and no amount of explaining will satisfy them.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Software locked :(
You can still check it the old fashioned way on older iPads through Coconutbattery on Mac.
just in case people are not aware of Coconut Battery, it is free for basic info, which includes info about ...the battery. You can glean alot of pertinent info from the app version!!!

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
On iPhones/iPads? No, you can’t. What 3rd party allows it on iOS/iPadOS?

(Macs have Al Dente, but macOS is a completely different OS)

Edit: unless you mean viewing cycles, I thought you meant limiting charging.
👌 Al Dente...I wish Al Dente or Coconut 👌 would be able to limit charging to 80%

Reactions: xpxp2002

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
15 Pro/Max users, have any of you kept your iPhones charged for prolonged periods of time. What was the experience. Did the battery go down, then back up?

For ex: Using iPhone monitor support or watching a Twitch/Youtube video for more than 1hr?

tklong

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
My iPad Pro 11 3rd Gen does not have that setting to limit to 80%. Nevertheless, it won‘t charge anymore beyond the 80% since the update. Wonderfull.

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
So my iPad won't get this? Why? My daughter's almost 4 years old Galaxy phone received it after Samsung introduced the feature 2 years ago. Heck, even the cheapest Galaxy phones and tablets come with this feature out of the box.
What a greedy company!

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
There is on-SoC compute involved that older gen iPads don’t support.
That’s great.

But then tell me how M2 iPads Pro don’t get these features while M2 iPads Air do?

I’m supposed to believe M2 SoCs between two iPads come in many varieties?

Considering chip binning and what prices iPads Pro M2 and iPads Air launched at, respectively, it would make more sense that the new M2 Airs would be less capable than the ones we got in M2 iPads Pro.

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Of all things people complain about regarding iPads and iPadOS, this is the first one that really rubs me the wrong way (just like it did when the feature came to iPhone). Just seems like such a pointless thing to limit users of older devices to be able to control this.

Did check my aging 2018 iPad Pro 11" with Coconutbattery (thanks those who mentioned it!) just now, and I am at 83% after 517 cycles. 🥲
Apple's "diagnostic" software that their geniuses use seem to use a different metric. Brought in my Ipad air 2 and iPP 10.9 multiple times over the years to get the batteries replaced and keep getting denied despite the coconutbattery showing <80% battery life and noticeable drop of at least 1/3rd or more of real world run time. They will do everything in their power to deny an ipad battery replacement.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Edit: unless you mean viewing cycles, I thought you meant limiting charging.
IPadOS supports automations based on battery level, there’s just no Shortcut to stop charging. Since iPadOS also supports Optimized Battery Charging, one would assume that iPadOS is able to pause charging, and Apple just choses to not make it available to end users.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Too much information can definitely be a problem. There are outraged users on the Apple Support Communities complaining that their iPhone 15 Pro Max battery health went from 100% to 99% in a month, which is perfectly normal by the way. They have no clue that batteries are consumables and no amount of explaining will satisfy them.
That’s a good strategy, handicap all the sensible users just because there are also a couple of crazy users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.