Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamilstudios

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
Document scanning in Notes is one of the best & most under-appreciated iOS features. I still come across people who don’t use it and /or have never heard of it. Happy to see Apple continue to improve it.
I prefer the document scanning in Files app. Works simpler than Notes, and it will save a PDF file directly in the Files app. Easier to share the PDF with other people from there.

Reactions: julesme

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Eh. Document Scanning itself is great. Document Scanning in Notes is the clunkiest most confusing thing on the entire OS. Most people are just trying to get a JPG or a PDF to send somewhere. But its part of a note, and really unclear how to share just the document, and then scanning itself is really unclear when it comes to multi page document vs multiple documents. It's a real mess that needs to be simplified. I wish the camera app had scanning built in and AI document detection, because no one ever opens Notes to do this. I always see people just open the camera and start taking a picture of a document ...perfect moment for AI to step in handle it like a scan instead of a photo.

The Files app does the same thing but the functionality is kind of hidden. But using the Files app you can select where to save the document directly which makes sharing easier, and it defaults to multi document mode.

I agree that it’s clunky to scan a pdf into a note. Maybe it makes sense for Apple executives who only ever talk to people who also extensively use Apple Notes.

Reactions: RiderX and julesme

Cirillo Gherardo

Suspended
May 9, 2024
I always use the document scanning in the Files app instead. Works simpler than Notes, and will create PDF file upon save with all the scanned pages in one file, and it saves directly to Files app, ready to be shared.
And see, I didn't even know that existed. And neither do most users. They just go straight for the camera. Desperately need AI document detection in the camera.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
The Files app does the same thing but the functionality is kind of hidden. But using the Files app you can select where to save the document directly which makes sharing easier, and it defaults to multi document mode.

I agree that it’s clunky to scan a pdf into a note. Maybe it makes sense for Apple executives who only ever talk to people who also extensively use Apple Notes.
I had no idea you could scan in the Files app!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I had no idea you could scan in the Files app!

I really wish they would make it an app icon quick action or whatever the menu when you long press the icon is called.

Notes has it right there but Files doesn't have any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.