Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Can we all take a moment to remember that prior to the release of the iPhone 4S(most people called it the iPhone 5 back then, but hey Apple, why not make sense??), I think most rumors pointed out to a teardrop design:

Source: TheVerge 2011
iPhone5_mockup.jpg

My point being, some rumors can be kind of accurate, while most will be wildly incorrect.

Bonfyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
HELL
Can we all take a moment to remember that prior to the release of the iPhone 4S(most people called it the iPhone 5 back then, but hey Apple, why not make sense??), I think most rumors pointed out to a teardrop design:

iPhone5_mockup.jpg

My point being, some rumors can be kind of accurate, while most will be wildly incorrect.
You make a very good point.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

I think that rumor was right on.

With the all glass 4S, it was indeed a teardrop design in that you would TEAR if you DROP the phone. ;-)

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The bezel isn't going away anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the bezel has been the same size since the original iPhone. It's their trademark design and they feel that going away from it they'd lose product recognition.
The top and bottom bezels were reduced in size in the iPhone 5 and haven't since then. But I agree with the rest of your post. They definitely need smaller bezels all-around.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
aint this just sad?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-03 um 08.21.42.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-03 um 08.21.42.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-03 um 08.21.53.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-03 um 08.21.53.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: lordofthereef

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There are usually early rumours and speculation about the iPhone's, most of which will probably not be true, i remember the iPhone 6 rumours, there was to be a sapphire screen which never happened. Later in the year when the iPhone 7 starts production we will probably see more reliable leaks. Also don't forget there is usually at least one feature that doesn't leak that Apple announce up on stage.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Be interesting to see what extra features come out with this. A big year for Apple to deliver with what Samsung has come out with. Which has been impressive.

the thing is it's like a vicious cycle, Samsung release a phone early in the year, Apple follows it up with a better one in September, that has happened every year for as long as i can remember. I don't see this year being any different, only time will tell.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
The bezels need to shrink definitely. iPhone 6s (especially the plus version) is starting to look very dated and is much bigger than it needs to be. What is acceptable and looks OK on a 4" or 4,7" phones doesn't necessarily work on phablets.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Going 1mm thinner doesn't mean we lose the headphone jack. The iPod Touch is 1mm thinner than the iPhone 6s and still has a standard headphone jack.

Reactions: Daria

Trogladite

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2016
UK
For my use, my 6 is fine. But I would be very tempted if the camera was a few steps up. I have taken pics I have been pleased with. So an improvement there would be handy to the extreme.

As far as connections are concerned, I have gone over to Bluetooth for music. And the other rumour of increased security/privacy means I will be watching this space with interest.

Size, well I have big pockets!

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Going 1mm thinner doesn't mean we lose the headphone jack. The iPod Touch is 1mm thinner than the iPhone 6s and still has a standard headphone jack.

The removal of the headphone jack is probably not just to make the iPhone 7 thinner, there is probably another reason such as the rumour of adding another speaker or maybe water proofing.

Bonfyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
HELL
The removal of the headphone jack is probably not just to make the iPhone 7 thinner, there is probably another reason such as the rumour of adding another speaker or maybe water proofing.
The article I linked to very clearly said that the iPhone 7 will not be waterproof. I reiterated this when I started the topic.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
You make a very good point.

iPhone5_mockup.jpg

Though the iPhone rumors of late have been pretty spot on. The leaded details of the 6 design were pretty much right on the money.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The article I linked to very clearly said that the iPhone 7 will not be waterproof. I reiterated this when I started the topic.

Yes but that's my point, up until a few days ago all the rumours have been saying it would be waterproof. Lots of features are often rumoured around this time, then when leaks start appearing (usually later in the year) most don't make it into the new phones, while some do (Touch ID was a big one that was later confirmed through leaks).

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Right, it's a non-sequitur. One does not necessarily imply the other. That said, I still expect the rumor that t's going away may still turn out to be true.

This is the hope. Water-proofing is not really a good reason on it's own. Adding another speaker is probably the worst reason, and means that the reason I have been giving Apple the benefit of the doubt over doing this now is gone, and suggests the worst for Apple's motives here.

The ONLY good reason for doing this is to increase battery capacity, either overall, or specifically to power new technology, or otherwise accommodate new ESSENTIAL features added to the iPhone.

That said, there are peripheral benefits from doing this such as increasing demand for wireless audio products, such that quality and performance improve and prices drop significantly. Easier to waterproof is another plus. But these all take a backseat to potentially alienating the customer by removing a universal standard.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This is the hope. Water-proofing is not really a good reason on it's own. Adding another speaker is probably the worst reason, and means that the reason I have been giving Apple the benefit of the doubt over doing this now is gone, and suggests the worst for Apple's motives here.

The ONLY good reason for doing this is to increase battery capacity, either overall, or specifically to power new technology, or otherwise accommodate new ESSENTIAL features added to the iPhone.

That said, there are peripheral benefits from doing this such as increasing demand for wireless audio products, such that quality and performance improve and prices drop significantly. Easier to waterproof is another plus. But these all take a backseat to potentially alienating the customer by removing a universal standard.

Personally I'm not that bothered about the water proofing, the iPhone can already withstand being used in the rain, but I don't use my phone at the swimming baths or near deep water. Being as this is a number model (I.e 7) we should see a redesign maybe without the headphone jack while at the same time, maybe Apple add another speaker and Improve audio quality with both the speaker and also headphones (via lightning or Bluetooth).

Rumours at this point should be taken with a pinch of salt, we are still about 6 months away from the iPhone 7 being unvailed at their usual September event. Leaks of the devices will probably happen closer to the time, especially if there is going to be 3 flagship iPhone 7's (iPhone 7, 7 Plus and the rumoured iPhone 7 Pro) I'm hoping Apple add some new features tho which I'm sure they will because of giving people a reason to upgrade, much like they did with the iPhone 6S which I'm still wishing I had upgraded to (from my iPhone 6 Plus).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Right, it's a non-sequitur. One does not necessarily imply the other. That said, I still expect the rumor that t's going away may still turn out to be true.

Or removing the 3.5mm jack is a required step to make bezels smaller (for now) and the end game being removing the home button 2+ year down the road.

Place a 3.5mm plug against the front and notice how it ends right where the bezel ends. Not a coincidence. With the jack gone, that bottom can be made smaller. 3D Touch could be the first step to removing the home button. Both moves when combined sets up for a 3D Touch/integrated Touch ID into the screen home button. Making it possible to just about fully remove the bottom bezel completely. (Having 3D Touch and pressing down on a jack underneath if the screen was moved to being over top it could cause possible issues.)

Then there is the fact Lightning supports much higher audio quality. Why have two ports that can do audio when one is superior.

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Ugh seriously hoping Apple gets rid of those tired ass dated bezels. 2009? It worked. 2010? Still looked good. But 2016? Get the **** out of here, Apple. The S7 Edge is the same screen size as the Plus yet the S7 Edge is noticeably smaller than the Plus.

Agreed. It's an absolute joke at this point.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Being as this is a number model (I.e 7) we should see a redesign maybe without the headphone jack while at the same time, maybe Apple add another speaker and Improve audio quality with both the speaker and also headphones (via lightning or Bluetooth).

There is no way for Apple or anyone to add a second speaker to a 6mm thick enclosure already starved for internal space, and improve the audio quality. Doubling garbage is just more garbage. It's a poor reason to remove the 3.5mm jack.

Reactions: nordique
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.