Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyoungman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
Digital Trends reviewed the i5 model -- not sure when it went live, I may have missed it.

This is what they say about fan noise:

"Noise is at an absolute minimum. The fan only ramps up to a noticeable level during heavy workloads and, even then, it’s a whisper. We can’t remember the last time we tested a desktop this quiet."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/apple-mac-mini-2018-review/

Still, it would be nice to have some actual measurements (dBa) of the various models, including details on the load to reach those levels.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
You can't disable hyperthreading but you can disable TurboBoost. Upside—fans quieter under full load. Downside—rendering etc. takes more time because you've lowered the definition of a full load. There are apps for this.
Makes me wonder how they compare:

i5 with TurboBoost on and multithreading off
i7 with TurboBoost off and multithreading on

nyoungman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
It looks like Hyperthreading can be disabled via Instruments, which comes with Xcode. I haven't tried it yet.

I've been experimenting with Turbo Boost Switcher on my work MBP. The fans haven't been spinning up. So at least there are solutions like that for times when you really need quiet.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
It looks like Hyperthreading can be disabled via Instruments, which comes with Xcode. I haven't tried it yet.

I've been experimenting with Turbo Boost Switcher on my work MBP. The fans haven't been spinning up. So at least there are solutions like that for times when you really need quiet.
That looks like a good app. As a lover of quiet and cool computers, it is very useful.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I've been using my I5 mini for three days now and thought I would post a few final comments. On the first day of use, the case of my mini was warm to the touch but now its barely above room temperature. This wasn't a concern but cooler is certainly better. Also, and most importantly, fan noise has been non-existent.

For me, the I5 mini is a good choice for those who want a very-quiet computer that has a bit of CPU headroom. My 2012 mini lasted six years and I'm sure I'll get the same use out of the new one. :)

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Looks like the reviews are panning out exactly as I expected when Apple first announced these chips. This is the same song and dance from these Intel chips for a while now whether its on the iMac, Macbook Pros or the Mini. If you get a chip with HT then good chance its going to run hot. I learned these lessons from the 2014 Retina iMacs when choosing certain upgraded components.

dia3olik

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
Hey guys! What about noise in high load scanarios like encoding and such with basically constant 90/100% utilization?

How noisy is it subjectively speaking?

Thanks!!!!

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I got my Mini today (i7, 512GB, 8GB RAM, standard ethernet), and for now (only did some basic testing, not pushing it yet), it is really (and I mean REALLY) silent!

I needed to place my ear next to it to hear anything!

I'll test it further and when stressed/hotter I'll see if it is still so silent.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I've had my Mini for a few weeks now. i7/32GB/1TB. I edit photos a lot. Raw converted to jpeg or other formats. I use DxO Photo Lab and ON1 Photo Raw among a few other apps to process my photos.
I have done my workflow a few times now on the new Mini.

It's dead quiet until I export the Raw files to jpeg. The fans will go full on and the temps will rise to 212 degrees (F) (or 100C). It's only until that batch is done, then it goes quiet again and the temps drop to their normal 100-120 degrees F. The noise level is surprisingly low with the fans on full.

That's as hard as I push my system.

Not nearly as loud as the Late 2012 iMac 27" I had before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.